What's the point?

by punkofnice 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Thanks Snare for the Sam Harris vid. I like that he said what can fill the void of atheism is science, art and philosophy. Yes he said philosophy.

I liked his mindfulness meditation session. I was going to make a joke about it because I realised what he was doing having done Buddhist mediation myself but then Sam joked himself saying that he got a roomful of atheists doing mindfulness meditation, now you're all Buddhists he said.

'If there is any truth in the religions that we deplore it is the value or the present moment'

Living in the present moment can even erode the pain of grief Sam said. Yes I agree. I learned that.

I do wish that when the prolific posters on this site laud Sam Harris et al they would really listen to them. Philosophy and mindfulness meditation that we got from Buddhism. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

Punk,

Sorry, my last post was bleak. Your posts always touch me where it hurts. Then I leak. Sorry for that.

I used to be wide-eyed and full of wonder. Now each day is a challenge to find reasons to go on. It's hard. So hard I shouldn't comment in suicide threads. Sorry to you and anyone else that I've added pain to.

• cofty
    cofty

Phaedra I'm relieved to see your post. I was worried.

I don't know if I am missing the point but I have to control how much I ponder about the suffering and injustice in the world for my own mental well-being. It helps to reflect on how far we have come as a species without being complacent. Don't feel guilty about finding pleasure in life. Best wishes.

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

Cofty, thanks for your thoughts

• Freeandclear
    Freeandclear

I think this is the best thread I've ever read here. I so much love talking about this stuff and hearing other's perspectives.

Most of the comments made here about meaning in life mirror my own. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and comments on this subject!

• mikeflood
    mikeflood
    Read books, like "The History of Satan", by Elaine Pages. It shows how Christianity thinking has evolved in time..
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

Again, many thanks for your thoughts and kind words along with the lovely PMs.

Tonight is band rehearsal.

I'm hoping the muse will return for me to do some 'creative' writing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit