What's the point?

by punkofnice 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Punky! From the other side of the ocean I've been able to enjoy your sense of humor and the music and singing you posted. So that's one reason you're here, to entertain me. Not to mention how much your experience and knowledge of the rotten wt cult has helped with my deprogramming.

I'm here to put birdseed out for the bluebirds, - learned that recently.

Havent yet read all the posts here, - someone may have mentioned nutritional supplements. My husband and I take B Complex a couple times a week, seems to give a boost to well being.

You are very much appreciated, never doubt it.

Marina

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

@OP

You need to come to grips with the fact that the universe doesn't owe you any purpose. You are just matter, living matter and that's it. You just happen to have a large brain with allows you to have these thoughts.

It's not easy to be at peace with the fact that you are incredibly lucky to be born in the first place and that you exist for a short amount of time, then cease to exist. There is no purpose other than living your life, and you are not more special than a mouse or a tree - their purpose is also to just live as long as possible.

Why be miserable about something you can't control? Just sit back, open a beer and enjoy the ride.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    punkofnice

I understand where you are coming from as I went through much the same feelings 40 years ago when I realized that the WT was not the truth and that this life is all their is.

What I believe is we really don't know what is to come after this life. I once heard it said that if space and time is eternal. That there could be infinite number of parallel universes. Who knows where we go from here?

What I have learned is to live life to the fullest and live each day as it could be your last day. Learn to come to terms with your mortality, as if you don't you will never be able to fully enjoy this life as you have it as a gift.
  • stephanie61092
    stephanie61092

I'm not at the point of an atheist but for the God I still believe in, I believe he is deliberately screwing with mankind. I also am coming to grips that this is the only life we have to live.

This quote from Ricky Gervais has been giving me comfort:

"It's a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It's the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have EVERYTHING to live for."

I've been trying to live each day in a way that would make my future self proud. Did I do something kind for someone else? Even a complete stranger? Was I honest? Was I happy today? What can I do to be happy tomorrow?

Knowing that I am living "the real life" now is liberating in that I no longer feel like I have the ability to put off things I want to do for myself. I will not have time to do those things in paradise.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The point is to experience the absurd

The point is to rule nothing out

The point is to reach your potential

The point is to fail

The point is to go forth and multiply

The point is to make your own point

The point is not to point

The point is not the starting point

Point is where Bayble is

The point is the asking not the answering

The point is not to ask what is the point

The point is the higher the fewer

The point above this point is a quote from Star Trek

The point is to think for yourself

The point in the sky above your head is the zenith

The point of a pencil can be sharp

The point of a razor is to be sharp

The point of a word is to point to a thing

The point of a word at a thing is askew

There is always a point at the end.

• steve2
    steve2

Terry - fantastic well-thought-out answer. I have saved it under your name because this issue comes up so often.

• tornapart
    tornapart
    Questioning the WT makes you question everything. Sometimes those questions have disturbing answers. I don't know what to think or believe anymore... it's like having to start all over again and when you're close to your 60's that's not easy. All I can say is it's important to enjoy the life and health you have here and now, make the most of it. We spent so much time waiting for a 'new world' that we put our lives on hold. But really life can be enjoyed right now. How about giving yourself a 'bucket list'? I think of the young guy (Stephen Sutton) who died after a few years of fighting cancer. He made a bucket list and lived life to the full right up until the day he died. We were sold eternity, now maybe all we have is now... we have to make the most of it. Life however short is a precious gift.
  • Phaedra
    Phaedra

I couldn't commit suicide (although, I've tried before), I don't wanna die.................what's the bloody point to anything? It's all so futile. Transient. Always ends in tears.

I'm fine with going to sleep and not waking up. no tears.

When you start learning about how worse it is in other countries who don't give a fuck about running over people with cars, and backing up to be sure they're dead because it's better in the "justice" system to kill instead of maim (China) and human trafficking of children for sex, it's easy to get in the line for a ticket out. I don't want anything to do with this world. Fuck it.

My first world comforts don't make up for the 8-yearod sold off in some third-world country who never has a chance at anything. I'd rather not be here. You with your money and smartphones and high-paying jobs on the backs of others yeah, you got yours. Kill me now so I don't have to turn my head anymore to the suffering of other human beings and beautiful creatures that exist and get in the way of profiteers.

• alecholmesthedetective
    alecholmesthedetective
    What's the bloody point of it all?

To create, to achieve. To leave our mark in the world before we quickly leave as we will. To do good to others, as has been said, perhaps even helping them avoid the pitfalls we may have had experience of. To enjoy the good things in life, like food, sex, beer, and friendship, to name but a few. To laugh at the misfortunes of others. To find what our talents are and to work on them, to best ourselves. To have fun, to enjoy great literature, poetry, language, irony. Have I already said laugh at the misfortunes of others?
  • rebel8
    rebel8

Dahlink. I have the solution.

Build a life worth living. That's it. There is nothing more to it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit