What's the point?

by punkofnice 66 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I mean, I don't want to be miserable or anything, but what's the bloody point of it all?

Since I left the watchtower cult, I have come to realise that god cannot possibly exist...and if a god exists...god is indifferent to humankind as the least.

In 100 years time I'll be gone. Kaput. No memory. Not even sleeping. I won't be in heaven or living on in any way what so ever. All my hopes and dreams will have gone. No one will remember me, probably not even know my name.

If I do anything good for the benefit of those that come after me, they'll die too. Eventually, I see the human race as becoming extinct one way or another.

Since leaving the watchtower (and I'll never go back), I am living hand to mouth, day to day with nothing to hope for.

I couldn't commit suicide (although, I've tried before), I don't wanna die.................what's the bloody point to anything? It's all so futile. Transient. Always ends in tears.

I could be driving along and get hit by a lorry: die in agony and that's the end.

I did prefer believing in a magical being that would kiss it and make it all better............sadly, no such entity really exists.

• talesin
    talesin

Hi, you. I figured out years ago, that we are no different from other species. We are born, we live, we die. It's the moments of bliss that make it all special. Love ya, Punky!

Carpe diem!

Make some music, hold on to whomever you can, and you know that *this* person sends you lots of love. I'm sorry you are in the doldrums, and understand.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

The point of life is what you make it. Find things you enjoy and go from there.

When you buy that brand new car you know, if you're being realistic, that one day it will break down or be totaled in an accident. For most, though, that does nothing to get in the way of enjoying driving your pristine new car. The same is true of life. Try not to let the inevitability of it's end get in the way of enjoying the now.

That said, I can totally see where you're coming from and feel much the same quite often. When things are hard it's easy to give up. In most cases, though, it's probably worth putting in the effort to get your life where you want it to be and enjoy at least some of it.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Thanks Tal.

Yup. guess the weight of the world is pressing down a bit. I thought I'd be in paradise earth or at least in a supported place. Neither.

I'd like to run away but can't afford it.

I would pray for a lottery win of significant value.....but who can I pray to? A milk jug it seems.

Peace.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

OEJ

Thanks, friend. I'm rehearsing with a band at the moment.

I don't mean to seem lugubrious......can't avoid it though.

• Je.suis.oisif
    Je.suis.oisif

Hi there fella.

I'm with you 100% in your observations. But you've just got to keep on keeping on. It's gut-wrenchingly horrible and empty when you come up against this reality. But it is what it is.

I'm 59 now, and have pretty much believed in God all my conscious life. After 32yrs involved with this cult I'm not sure anymore. These b******'s have got a hell of a lot of explaining to do to the "big man upstairs" if he does exist, because they've destroyed this for me.

Please just breath and plan some small treats for yourself. Do something kind for a stranger if you are able to. I don't know what else to say.

Koko

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Je. - We are of similar age. There isn't much anyone can say Koko. It's just a case of trying to ignore it I guess. thanks friend.
  • Je.suis.oisif
    Je.suis.oisif

Hi again,

Tell us a bit about this band you're rehearsing with. Sounds cool. What are your influences? What instrument do you play.

It's nice to have a new friend, even if it's a cyber friend

• steve2
    steve2

The good points you raise punkonice are well-covered in both religious studies and the "field" of philosophy.

JWs are but one of so many groups that capitalize on human wishful thinking and its opposite, pessimism.

This helps us be more understanding on how religious groups attempt to meet human needs and have high levels of success ( although there is a growing trend in western countries away from organized religion).

In life there is always tension between the so-called "competing" needs as in the need for security/safety and the need for adventure/excitement.We search for meaning and direction but resist authoritarianism - and very often so-called meaning and direction are wrapped up in "theocracy" and/or oppression.

The magic - and the danger - of religious groups is they provide definite answers to the sorts of questions you raise punkofnice.

As a respected friend once said to me: "If you want to know for certain what life is all about, ask the next 100 people who cross your path today that question. The sheer range of answers will show how that big question is at the mercy of who you ask. And that's only the people you ask today."

That is why people who open their minds to search for "truth" invariably close their minds once they are "certain" they've found it.

Depending on whether you happen to share their conclusions, the closing of their mind is either the very best or very worst decision they make.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    To me the point is if I new this at say age 10 I could have gone on and lived a better life trying to live up to my dreams and potential. Now all in can do is pass this knowledge on to my kids so they can, instead of wasting their lives away as jws.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit