What's the point?

by punkofnice 66 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I decided to do something a bit different yesterday after work. I sat and watched TV. Johnathon Creek, the Moaning of Life and the 1960's Avengers.

I think I need to change habits.

thank you all for so much really great input. I'm sorry I can't reply individually. Luv you all.

Guess I better just try to keep going despite the feelings of 'meh'.

As for my book sales.................all quiet on the western front. The muse really isn't with me at the moment.

• Je.suis.oisif
    Je.suis.oisif

Mornin' punk.

No I'm not stalking you. Quite a sobering thread you started. I concur that your "off the wall " humour in my early fading days helped me immensley. I was traumatised, and now I'm not.

You're probably aware of this song, but incase you aren't I'm writting you about it.

It's by Anthony & the Johnsons, called Hope There Is Someone. It was on the Voice UK on Saturday night, and had Boy George in floods. I welled up and had to thump my chest to breath. If you don't know it, check it out on YouTube.

• talesin
    talesin

Mrs. (Emma) Peel. We are not worthy! One of my favorite shows as a kid. (Oh, and wasn't it John Steed? He was cool.)

Also the first Mrs. James Bond, Diana Rigg, I love her. Just had to comment on that.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Je. - Funny thing is I was more upbeat when I left the cult. I am perhaps felling a little 'flat' right now. A bit rudderless.

Tal - The Avengers was on after M*A*S*H :) gotta love an old re-run

• talesin
    talesin

Yessiree Bob! I watched The Persuaders! last year. No TV but lots of stuff online. : )

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

I ask myself this question alot too. WTH is the point? if there are no skittles at the end of the rainbow then why shouldn't I be miserable and malcontent?

But there really is a point. It's better to have lived than to have never existed at all. That's really what it comes down to.

So many of my ancestors (and somewhere down the line you and I share the same ancestors) have struggled against all odds to survive and reproduce so that we could be here now. If, somewhere along the line one of them gave up and died before passing on their genes, I would have never seen the beautiful smile of my daughter, I would have never met the love of my life, never seen the beauty of this planet. Never experienced the awesomeness of alcoholic beverages etc.

Life is incredibly rare and precious. Live it up within your means while you can!

• snare&racket
  • Sail Away
    Sail Away

HI Punk-- sorry you are feeling down and a bit lonely. One of the things that haunted me for decades as a JW was the question, "What is my purpose in life?" We were told that 'vindicating Jehovah's sovereignty and sanctifying His name' was our purpose. I thought, "Maybe that's His purpose, but it's not mine!"

I think we have to find our own purpose and meaning in our lives. After giving up so many opportunities in life as a JW and having lost so much when we left its tyranny, it's easy to fall into feelings of hopelessness and of having wasted so much of our limited time here.

For me, it's important to love and be loved and, more importantly, to have broken the multi-generational cycle of abuse in my family that left me vulnerable to cult recruitment. My kids know I love them unconditionally, and I know they love me. When I see how much my daughter loves her little boy, I know I have done my job here on this planet. Everything else is a bonus-- a beautiful sunrise, sunset or moon rise, a beautiful sea breeze to sail by and friends to enjoy it all with.

Keep looking for ways to connect with and help others, even if it is simply to smile to a stranger. Keep sharing your gift of music if it brings you happiness. This Meh feeling will pass. I know it well. Thoughts are only thoughts, and feelings are only feelings, they come and go, and they don't define who we are.

I love Terry's post! Listen to his wisdom.

Diane

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I think it actually takes a level of maturity to ask what's the point instead of staying on the hamster wheel of doing what's expected, what everyone else is doing or what we used to do.

It's not necessarily a sign of being depressed but a sign of refusing to carry on doing what works for other people but not for us. It's the question philosophers have been asking for years. So the answers aren't going to be easy.

I think a better question is what really makes me happy. Sod what other people are doing.

• johnamos
    johnamos
    I mean, I don't want to be miserable or anything, but what's the bloody point of it all?
    In 100 years time I'll be gone. Kaput. No memory. Not even sleeping. I won't be in heaven or living on in any way what so ever. All my hopes and dreams will have gone.
    I couldn't commit suicide (although, I've tried before), I don't wanna die………… what's the bloody point to anything? It's all so futile. Transient. Always ends in tears.
    8-15-99 WT- The Scriptures say that God ‘has put eternity into our hearts.’ (Ecclesiastes 3:11) This sense of eternity moves man to ponder life’s brevity. In the long run, without finding convincing answers to the meaning of life and death, one can become burdened with feelings of pessimism and futility. This can make life sad.

Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all,

Psalm 146:4 His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground; In that day his thoughts do perish.

Ecclesiastes 3:11 American Standard Version (ASV)

…also he hath set eternity in their heart,…

Since I left the watchtower cult, I have come to realise that god cannot possibly exist...
    I did prefer believing in a magical being that would kiss it and make it all better............sadly, no such entity really exists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit