The urban legends we heard as JWs!

by stuckinarut2 66 Replies latest jw experiences

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

How often have we heard some sort of sensationalist urban legend as JWs?

Here is an example I was told as a kid:

The experience of a sister who knocked on a door and was greeted by a big fierce looking man- intimidating and mean. She did her presentation, not knowing he was a serial murderer and rapist.

Later when questioned by police and asked why he didn't attack the sister, he says "what? With those three big men standing behind her?"

And...the urban legend of "angelic guardians" being with the sister at the door was spread!

THEN I heard as an adult that this same story has been regularly quoted by Mormons who say it happened to one of theirs!!

So, have you heard of any other urban legend fables?

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I've heard the above story by many JWs. It was always "my mums friend" or "my friend told me that..."

I've also heard the same story from Mormons and born agains.

Remember the story about the gestapo searching a Witnesses home for Watchtower literature and they miraculously couldn't see the bundle of Watchtowers right there on the kitchen table?

Pity Jehovah couldn't hide the JWs... i guess his powers are limited to making paper and ink invisible.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The made up story of the bloke that didn't want the 'Truth book™' so bunged it out of the bus window. Whereupon, it hit some geezer on the head and knocked him out stone cold. When the bloke woke up, he read the book and became a jobo.

I was going to say that you couldn't make it up........but it obviously was.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The one about the guy who was being constantly pestered by demons, and went to church after church looking for help to no avail.

Finally walked into a Kingdom Hall, and the pestering suddenly up and ceased.

That one always sounded iffy to me even when I was still in, and I said as much whenever it was brought up...

...I'd posit (in no small part because it was fun) that since the demons' goal was to prevent people from "hearing the Truth", wouldn't it have been more strategically sound - from their POV - to stop bothering the guy after he'd gone into the "wrong" church (i.e. before he'd gotten to a Kingdom Hall)?

The looks I'd get never got old, and people soon learned not to tell stupid urban legends around me.

• Confusedandangry
    Confusedandangry

@stuck, are you from Cali? I heard that exact rumor all my life growing up!

How about the Smurfs being demonic and how one actually walked out of the kingdom hall? so silly now that im not an impressionable young child.

Vidiot, i agree with you! Makes no sense. wouldn't it have been more strategically sound - from their POV - to stop bothering the guy after he'd gone into the "wrong" church (i.e. before he'd gotten to a Kingdom Hall)

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    foozed - stuck, are you from Cali? I heard that exact rumor all my life growing up!

I heard that it was a block of flats in London.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The urban legends we heard as JWs! - ok here's a strange one that I heard from one of my JW mates, about 13 years ago.

Look away if you're easily offended ...

Gay men insert tampons into their rectums because that area of their body is damaged (either they are incontinent or they bleed from that area) ... due to all the rampant anal sex they've been having - WTF?!

I kid you not.

Cult thinking is retarded ...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

There was also the one about the JW couple who - secretly, out of curiosity - had gone to a hypnotist's show, and the hypnotist had somehow "known" that there were JWs in the audience and announced that he wouldn't/couldn't perform because his "abilities" wouldn't work while they were present.

I am not making this up.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Or the one about the JW teen who saw a group of other kids playing with a Ouija board, and suggested they ask it what God's name was, and the board "angrily" threw itself across the room.

Not making this one up either.

• Confusedandangry
    Confusedandangry

@punk-wow so that one went across the pond.

oh heres another--an elderly sister was preaching door to door when vicious dogs were about to attack her but she miraculously jumped over a 6 foot tall fence. (cane and all).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit