Do You Think It’s Time For Businesses To Reopen Even Though Coronavirus Is Not Obliterated?

by minimus 90 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackPuddingEater
    BlackPuddingEater

Business is still running, just not all sectors. For those of you who know your HHG2TG it's the B arkers who are idle at the moment or to put it it today's parlance unessential businesses. That is not to say unvalued, far from it. We need consumers to start consuming much more than we need businesses to start businessing. The negative oil price is not due to hair dresser not using hair oil, it's because people aren't getting in their cars to drive to the hair dressers. Well on a very small scale but hopefully you get my point.

As we bring more normal activities back on line we increase the risk of raising the Basic Reproduction Number R(0) to above a manageable level for our health services. We can asses these risk but until they are active and we have results back from accurate testing we cannot map their impact. Currently key and essential workers are still working to deal with crisis and keep us in food, electricity and Netflix. These points of physical interaction are our current risk factors along with food shopping. Maintaining just these activities we seem to have brought R(0) below 1. So add more risk and that number goes up, go over 1 and you have to reintroduce the social isolation measures you have just lifted. All this while you are running your health service 'HOT'.

An example. DIY stores have just reopened in the UK and apart from selling paint and nails they sell plants and seeds. Garden centres are not open, but DIY shops are selling the same products. It is not that one has a higher risk than the other. Open both and you double the risk.

Open too much too soon and you have blown the work done with the first set of measures. If you are worried that it's going to be hard restarting the economy after one lock-down then you should really be worried that you have opened to soon, your economy can only take a beating once before it recovers.

• minimus
    minimus

I have a feeling much of New England will not be opening up next Monday.☹️

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Min ...

I agree.

I think there has to be a reasonable approach with input from all sides into this matter.

It's refreshing to listen to the responses from the various posters who can provide additional insight into these current issues.

Rub a Dub

• minimus
    minimus

Rub , you are a funny guy. 😏😒

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

In most places, YES.

This thing is not going to "go away". It's a health consideration with which we will be contending for years to come. Just like influenza. Just like all other diseases/illnesses. Some people will just be sick (in one degree or another) for a few days or few weeks. Others, unfortunately, will suffer serious health consequences, and others will die from it.

We'll all be keeping more distance. Business will have to adapt to that. That's going to reduce the capacity of restaurants as the space the seating further as well as airlines as perhaps the center seat must be left open.

Many will be wearing masks indefinitely in hopes of being better protected though it seems masks are like condoms in that they just give you a false sense of security (while being screwed).

Be safe!

• Simon
    Simon

It's absolutely time to re-open.

We were only meant to be "flattening the curve" to prevent health-care systems being overwhelmed but now we have a constant supply of videos showing nurses with time and energy to make tiktok dance videos and they are closing emergency hospitals with zero patients seen and cancelling orders for ventillators.

The plan wasn't that we'd live the rest of our lives inside. We need to restart the economy ASAP. If the health-care systems start getting stressed then we put the brakes on, but I don't think they will. We've seen good evidence now that we know what works and what doesn't to cure it, so we need to live with it until there's a vaccine.

I think we risk being held captive by politicians personal political careers as they will be too afraid to be held accountable for the inevitable infection rates and number of deaths but sorry to disappoint the extremists, you absolutely can put a price on human life and we're paying way too high of a price right now.

We don't need government rules - people will naturally segregate into risk takers and conservative types which again all contributes to help prevent one massive surge of cases.

We just need to keep the most vulnerable isolated and the highest-risk events and places locked down. We should be out working and buying things, even if we're not going to concerts and sports events.

• Simon
    Simon

One huge problem is the financial incentives that health-care providers have been given to categorize anything and everything as caused by Covid 19.

Surprise! You always get what you pay an incentive for ... so now we are making decisions based on bullshit stats.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I think the question should be what businesses that are left, should they reopen? Big boys who never closed because they were consider essentials are still going strong. It's the local mom and pop stores we may never see again as well all those stores in malls. Let them reopen if they want but who will have the money to patronize them? That's the big question. Still Totally ADD

• Simon
    Simon
    who will have the money to patronize them?

All the people being paid to sit on their arses!

No travel costs, no gas to buy, lots of money being thrown at them. There's more than enough money to fire up the economy.

Big companies will survive just fine, it is the local stores and restaurants that are most at risk and should be given most support.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

So why the angry comeback. I'm with you on most of what you said. Those who you think are sitting on their ass did not ask for this and still have bill's to pay. Maybe you live in a well to do place but where I live people are hurting. Jobs taken away from them because of the stay at home policy. Rent or mortgage payments don't stop. Electric, home gas and water still needs to be paid. Insurance, credit cards and phone Bill's still need to be paid. For those folks they will not be running out to restaurants, bars or whatever they did before. They will just be happy to have a job. Were is this lots of money being throw at that them? Are you talking about unemployment insurance. That was paid in by their employer as a safety net for those laid off. That $1,200 one time payment. While in those same bill's large corporations got more big tax cuts. To tell you the truth it's not that much.

So no I don't agree with you on that one point. I live in the real world were hard working people are being screwed left and right and right now due to this virus they are between a rock and a hard place. Still Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit