Do You Think It’s Time For Businesses To Reopen Even Though Coronavirus Is Not Obliterated?

by minimus 90 Replies latest jw friends

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

As we get more facts, we should to be able to ask sensible questions about this entire situation. There are net effects here. The economy is not some nebulous thing out there, as if it is separate from us. The economy is us. It represents our interactions. It is our way of allocating resources and calculating which projects to undertake.

There have been three separate studies now that show this virus is much, much more contagious than originally thought. This is good news because most people don’t even know they have it. The death rate is lower than originally thought.

For those who would be in serious danger, the goal was to not prevent them from ever getting the virus. That is like stopping the wind. Rather, the goal was to slow the rate of hospitalizations, prevent overwhelming the system. All things considered, I think that was successful. We will never really know if we could have done the same without the severe economic hit. Sweden and Japan present an interesting counterfactual. We ought to be able to talk about it. But it doesn’t matter. Open stuff back up.

• LV101
    LV101

I hope it reopens soon on a phased-in basis. There won't be a perfect time nor perfect vaccine. Better to have antiobiotics/drugs to save people between now and future. I don't know how some are going to manage in the service oriented businesses (hair salons/barbers/manicures), dentists, etc., and it is concerning but many are ready to stand in lines and already have in Georgia. Manicurists are installing Plexiglas on work stations separating themselves from the client - I like the idea. Plus many already wear masks but it's still risky. I don't like going in public at this point and think it's going to be tough for the gaming industry to get the employees back this soon - and I don't blame them.

If the stats continue to reveal it's killing less than 1% we can be hopeful but I'm not minimizing the plague.

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

Where we live in the US- the old rich ppl think that the stay at home order was to prevent them from getting it- so now that they are stubborn and misinformed they won't be doing much contributing to the local Economy even if it does open back up because they don't have any interest in it- it doesn't hurt them in their minds- whereas those of us who do require tourism and the Economy to come back are shamed for our desire to get back to what feeds us...on Facebook, and local neighborhood websites etc... It has become a hotly divisive and debated issue here!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

There is going to be possibility of having an upsurge of new cases after the restrictions are lifted in certain areas.

This is where the governments are going to have to play it as it comes.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I am up in the air about reopening. One way it may help another it will not. If we reopen it will eventually be up to the consumer to what happens. Personally no matter what we do the economy has been trashed to the point it will take along time before it is normal. 26,000,000 out of work now and how many will have there job when this is over. Experts say 500 mall's will close, stores like JC Penny's will go under and how many mon and pop business will be gone. It all has a ripple effect.

The only bright side I see is consumers have really discovered internet buying in a big way. Because of this it could be the death knell for many brick and mortar stores. We are all facing a new world of how the economy will be. Hold onto your seats it's going to be a wild ride no matter which direction we go. Still Totally ADD

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

I say, if over 60 stay home until a vaccine is developed. Everybody else, get back to work and school and practice social distancing as best you can.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I have absolutely no problem with people opening up everything and doing the macarena or whatever else people want to do in groups.

I just wish that if they get infected, but a shop vac, stay home in bed, and use the exhaust port on the shop vac as a ventilator so as not to put other people at risk.

If that doesn't seem to work, take a few shots of government-recommended treatments such as Lysol or other FDA approved disinfectants to cleanse the lungs and reduce the symptoms.

Rub a Dub

• caves
    caves

All or nothing- I completely agree. That's is exactly what is happening.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINIMUS:

No question about it. We have to be brave and reopen the economy. Anybody who thought this could stay closed indefinitely was kidding themselves.

The most important thing is that the food supply chain can’t be disrupted. No food means panic, rioting, social disorder, violence and loss of life. If this were to happen there would be no other businesses and whatever society we have would unravel.

I see mask wearing for a very long time maybe indefinitely.

FINKELSTEIN:

I would like a vaccine also. But, I won’t hold my breath.

• caves
    caves

Rub, you are trying to start a shit storm with your last comment. Open a new thread about it so it can bite the dust. Dude really? , so uncalled for!

I most certainly have an opinion about what you are referring to.

Simon has very clearly stated not to go there. Please don't ruin Minimus thread.

The question here is a pretty important question the whole world is asking and I for one would like to see others reply's and not have to wonder if its going to be hijacked by some unrelated bull.

Caves

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit