schizophrenia .......sound like anybody you know?

by gumby 76 Replies latest watchtower bible

• gumby
    gumby

I think most people are unfamiliar with why certain people behave the way they do. Most people lable those who are quite different as the rest as nutty, strange, plain nuts. (I'm guilty as the rest)

I thought I would look up some info. on mental health and found this which was quite enlightning.

schizophrenia

ADelusions

Delusions are false beliefs that appear obviously untrue to other people. For example, a person with schizophrenia may believe that he is the king of England when he is not. People with schizophrenia may have delusions that others, such as the police or the FBI, are plotting against them or spying on them. They may believe that aliens are controlling their thoughts or that their own thoughts are being broadcast to the world so that other people can hear them.

BHallucinations

People with schizophrenia may also experience hallucinations (false sensory perceptions). People with hallucinations see, hear, smell, feel, or taste things that are not really there. Auditory hallucinations, such as hearing voices when no one else is around, are especially common in schizophrenia. These hallucinations may include two or more voices conversing with each other, voices that continually comment on the person’s life, or voices that command the person to do something.

CBizarre Behavior

People with schizophrenia often behave bizarrely. They may talk to themselves, walk backward, laugh suddenly without explanation, make funny faces, or masturbate in public. In rare cases, they maintain a rigid, bizarre pose for hours on end. Alternately, they may engage in constant random or repetitive movements.

DDisorganized Thinking and Speech

People with schizophrenia sometimes talk in incoherent or nonsensical ways, which suggests confused or disorganized thinking. In conversation they may jump from topic to topic or string together loosely associated phrases. They may combine words and phrases in meaningless ways or make up new words. In addition, they may show poverty of speech, in which they talk less and more slowly than other people, fail to answer questions or reply only briefly, or suddenly stop talking in the middle of speech.

ESocial Withdrawal

. The term schizophrenia comes from Greek words meaning “split mind.” However, contrary to common belief, schizophrenia does not refer to a person with a split personality or multiple personality. (For a description of a mental illness in which a person has multiple personalities, see Dissociative Identity Disorder.) To observers, schizophrenia may seem like madness or insanity.

Perhaps more than any other mental illness, schizophrenia has a debilitating effect on the lives of the people who suffer from it. A person with schizophrenia may have difficulty telling the difference between real and unreal experiences, logical and illogical thoughts, or appropriate and inappropriate behavior. . About 10 percent of people with schizophrenia commit suicide, and many others attempt suicide. Once people develop schizophrenia, they usually suffer from the illness for the rest of their lives. Although there is no cure, treatment can help many people with schizophrenia lead productive lives.

. In addition, people with schizophrenia account for at least 10 percent of the homeless population in the United States

Gumby

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

Sounds like me!

Just call me King Mark

• berylblue
    berylblue

When you are admitted to the psych hospital, the "questions" you are asked (to determine a quick pcyhotic DX) are hilarious - if you are NOT psychotic:

Does God talk to you?

Does God have a special plan for you?

Do you think others are out to get you?

Do you hear voices?

Can you predict the future?

I am guilty of making jokes about persons here who apparently can answer these questions in the affirmative; I should know better. Normally, in a psych ward setting, the psychotic/schizophrenic patients are not put on the same floor or unit as the depressed/suicidal patients because they can be too much to deal with for a person grappling with wanting to live in the first place. Only one time was I ever with a paranoid schizophrenic and, quite frankly, the rest of us were afraid of setting him off every time we spoke to him.

Thanks for the reminder. I, of all people, should know better.

(However, if there's a great one-liner to be made, all bets are off.)

Rosemarie

• smack
    smack

Hello? Hello? yes, over here

I wrote 1st and 2nd Thelosians

I'm an aardvark, and I'm proud

easy for you to spell

teaspoon

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

An aardvark. Is that an English word? How funny, cuz the Dutch word is Aardvarken.

-

And the world shall tremble in the wake of the Blue Bubblegum
    Dutch District Overbeer

• blondie
    blondie

Viv, that's because the English languaged borrowed it from South Africa which was settled by the Dutch. I was always amazed when I found out that the word "bungalow" which describes a small, cozy house style originated in India.

Blondie

• cat1759
    cat1759

Heavens yes, 5th floor here I come.

I could use a rest.

Cathy

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Cat, I think Bruce used the 7th floor to talk to god...

Blondie, no kidding! Bungalow comes from India, I had no idea.

-

And the world shall tremble in the wake of the Blue Bubblegum
    Dutch District Overbeer

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

One of my six brothers is schizophrenic....

We "lost" him when he was 19....he started acting strangely suddenly....no warning signs...

One day he gave his bicycle and his prized guitar away. He was quoting scriptures about, "Fleeing to the mountains" and choosing another direction. His wallet and all his possessions were sitting on the table and he disappeared. Puzzling....

We called the police. They found him just south of Winnipeg, wandering the roadside. He had been living for days on wild berries. He hadn't drank any water for a few days and his lips were swollen from the sun and dehydration. We committed him to St. Boniface Hospital psychiatric ward.

He thought he was Jesus.

When my mom died, he thought I was going to move home and replace her....and look after him. I was "supposed" to know that...because he was putting out psychic messages...

He has been in and out of the hospital since he was 19. Since mom died, he again remains in the hospital, regaining a sense of his "reality". I need to have really strong boundaries around him so that I'm not "guilted" into looking after him. I'm not a professional. I love him sincerely, and when I go to Selkirk, I make it a point to visit the Psychiatric Ward, I visit him and bring him gifts. I send him a card on his birthday. I just know that I need to live my own live and not "worry" about him. He is capable of independent living, he is trained during his stays in the psych ward...and has done it. Unfortunately, our mom made the mistake of treating him as, "My poor boy." He totally lapped that up and let her do everything for him. Unfortunately, when she died, he could not handle it. ......he believes that women in his life are there to "serve" him....ARGH!!! I wonder where he learned that from!!!

Sorry, Tim....no can do!!!

Love

ESTEE

• gumby
    gumby

Ahhhhhhh,

Now it all makes sense. Looks like some of our ex-dubs here were leading double lives when they were kids............................ya sneaky little bastards!

Pot May Cause Depression, Schizophrenia Strongest Evidence Yet that Marijuana May Lead to Mental Illness

By Salynn Boyles
    Reviewed By Michael Smith, MD
    on Thursday, November 21, 2002
    WebMD Medical News

Nov. 21, 2002 -- Three newly published studies link frequent marijuana use at a young age to an increased risk of depression and schizophrenia later in life. The studies offer some of the best evidence yet that smoking marijuana can influence the progression of mental illness.

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit