Black Lives Matter—Do You Agree With Their Philosophy?

by minimus 246 Replies latest jw friends

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Identity politics is exhausting. I'm ready to start talking about and implementing solutions. I'm done with hearing about problems, only.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

"black lives matter". . . was a slogan to bring attention to an issue that has disproportionately affected "african american" people. . .

If blacks were not disproportionately represented in the crime statistics, the one parent families, etc. perhaps they would not be disproportionately represented in the results of criminal behavior?

There is a reason they are referred to as the 13/90's.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

There is a reason young black males are feared: they act on a learned culture behaviour. There is the same uneasiness felt toward hillbillies, Irish on st Patrick day, drunks in general.

There are socially accepted norms being ignored by tribes. I saw a clip of protesters banging on a car, the driver came out with a club. What did they do? Hollered for the cops!

• rh3988
    rh3988

@Anony Mous

It's funny how the first site you refer to describes itself as an "entertainment gossip news site". Actual news seems to be of least importance to them. I believe that I asked you to post facts and proof.

So a group of white people protested by saying anti-racist slogans. What's your point?

Both the Forbes article and the Witness BCC article were written by white men in support of BLM. The "pass the mic" thing is not a racist phrase. It just means, "let's listen to what black people have to say about this."

Here are some interesting quotes from the Vice article:

"Some view the partnership that’s emerged between certain chapters and antifa as symbiosis: Antifa is willing to use violence or even damage property to discourage racist gatherings so Black Lives Matter, which is nonviolent, doesn’t have to."

“Though we don’t agree with antifa’s tactics and strategy and adventurism, we respect their willingness to put their bodies on the line to fight fascists,” Brown said. While Black Lives Matter organizers were up on a platform with megaphones, black-clad antifa behaved like security, securing the perimeters of the protest up to where the far-right rally was held.

"However, not all Black Lives Matter chapters are down with the idea of an antifa security detail."

"Carico said that some Black Lives Matter chapters are worried that antifa will unnecessarily escalate tensions at their events, or hijack their messaging."

"There’s also concern that coordinating with antifa could do bad things for Black Lives Matter’s reputation."

“Coordination could change the public perception of Black Lives Matter, where people mistake that coordination as an endorsement of violence,” said Pete Simi, an expert in extremist groups and an associate professor of sociology at Chapman University in Orange, California. “Coordinating and being part of are two different things, but that distinction can get lost in the public eye."

For example, right-wing media and President Donald Trump have previously lumped the two movements together under the term “Alt-Left

___________________________________________________________________________________

There is no proof in that video that BLM told anyone to do anything. That article didn't even mention BLM. What I saw was one immature young woman and a few people that clapped for her off camera. Please prove that any of those people are BLM protesters.

Please show me where I implied that Trayvon Martin was lynched.

Please post evidence showing that Trayvon Martin was "yet another criminal".

So you're on that psycho George Zimmerman's side in this whole thing? (I don't even know what to say about that one.)

From what I understand, the KKK is not currently recognized as a terrorist organization. The act of 1871 merely restricted some of their activities, (as much as you could "restrict" the activities of a white supremacist group in 1871.) If you can show otherwise, I'll stand corrected.

Please prove that the shooting, robbing, and vandalizing in St. Louis was carried out by BLM protesters.

As to your last point, I don't have to engage in fallacies. Please refer back to the quotes I mentioned from the Vice article.

• Quetzal
    Quetzal

@simon

Again, this doesn't just happen to black people, why does BLM claim it does?. There are worse examples. Making it a "black" issue is misleading and unsupported by evidence.

Here is the problem with the above statement. You need to look at the situation from their point of view and not just about "unsupported by evidence" Here is a quote from Wikipedia

Women's fear of crime refers to women's fear of being a victim of crime, independent of actual victimization. Although fear of crime is a concern for people of all genders, studies consistently find that women around the world tend to have much higher levels of fear of crime than men, despite the fact that in many places, and for most offenses, men's actual victimization rates are higher.[1][2] Fear of crime is related to perceived risk of victimization, but is not the same; fear of crime may be generalized instead of referring to specific offenses, and perceived risk may also be considered a demographic factor that contributes to fear of crime. Women tend to have higher levels for both perceived risk and fear of crime

If your wife tells you that she is afraid to go out alone and gives you the talk about women being attacked and victimized. I hope you will not throw stats back at her by saying

men's actual victimization rates are higher.

Perception and fear of the police in most minorities community is real. That also contributes to some of the irrational behaviors.

• minimus
    minimus

Let’s just get rid of the police. That’s what these groups are pushing as an agenda!

These are hoodlums looking to get rid of law and order as we know it . And why? Because black people are being mistreated . BS!

• Quetzal
    Quetzal

@minimus

Let’s just get rid of the police. That’s what these groups are pushing as an agenda!

Where did you get that?

• minimus
    minimus

Do some reading and you will see their agenda. Gotta go for a bit. It’s my birthday and I’ll be in and out today!

• rh3988
    rh3988

@Simon

Can you point to any rights they don't have or way they are not treated equally?

I really don't know how to explain this to you if you don't understand already. Yes on paper all people have rights, but that's not the issue. It's the way institutions and people in authority treat people of color. Do you really think that a cop would shoot a white man after being informed by that same white man that he is a licensed gun owner? And not only that. Do you think he would shoot a white licensed gun owner in front of his girlfriend and her daughter? I guess you think that black people were treated equally during the civil rights movement also.

Then why the "black" part? Why be exclusionary and then demand support and accuse people of racism if they don't give it?

Because black people are treated differently. It's not being exclusionary. It's putting the focus on the fact that being black usually means being treated differently. I'll give you an example. It's not a matter of life or death, but it is something. I have a friend who got a traffic ticket. He planned on fighting the ticket, and even wrote a letter to the judge about it. He didn't mail the letter. He figured he could just have someone hand the letter to the judge when he got to the courthouse. When he arrived, he noticed how the young pretty white girls were allowed to go back and talk to the judge personally. But when he just requested to have his note given to the judge, they told him that anything he had to say to the judge could wait until the trial. No that's not as serious as being killed by police, but I guarantee you that if he had been a white female, or even a white male, he would have had no problems with communicating with that judge.

Again, this doesn't just happen to black people, why does BLM claim it does?. There are worse examples. Making it a "black" issue is misleading and unsupported by evidence.

I don't think BLM claims that these things only happen to black people. But based on the long history of racism against blacks, denying that they continue to be treated as "lesser than" is very disingenuous. I like what Quetzal said about it. Can you post some instances of worse examples?

• BlackPuddingEater
    BlackPuddingEater

As most will know and all should know a 75 year old white male has been pushed over by police in Buffalo.

When I look at the footage seeing his blood poring out of his ear as he is left on the ground by heartless thugs I know in my heart, that old man's life matters. Old white male lives matter to me because I will very soon be an old white male man. I would support any protest that made sure that the perpetrators of this event were dealt with and to ensure that this sort of behaviour was stopped. Just imagine a line of people, most old men, some old women, some young children holding a banner saying 'Old Male Lives Matter'. If in the past few days you have said 'well all lives matter' and can honest say you would not say the same for what I have postulated, then even though I disagree with you I admire your conviction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit