Samurai sword-wielding man terrorizes church full of Jehovah's Witnesses

by jgnat 53 Replies latest social current

• MrsQ
    MrsQ

::::whining:::::

How come nothing like that ever happend when I was a witness? Man, I went to THOUSANDS of meetings and would have been THRILLED for a little action!

I laughed hard reading this, but I also think that guy was a big weenie. $15.00 is not a lot, but if it is that hard, be a man! Get a second job!

Q.

• SYN
    SYN

Damn, I feel sorry for the sword-wielder. I hope they didn't try to Witness to him or anything.

Was anyone hurt? Did he perhaps slice up a pile of Aslashed! magazines?

• wednesday
    wednesday

lol at this group

we just ooze the milk of human kindess he he he

yes Ravyn, i'm sure that was a ploy to get aid. Some smart jw who knows all the ways to get money out of the government. low, so low

wait, maybe they will go the the jail and start a stufy with him b/c he was so distressed. Can't u just see this at next years convention.

• ninecharger
    ninecharger

I feel so sorry for the little children and their mothers sitting there in absolute terror.

Kindumb halls have been petrol bombed as have other religious meetings throughout the world, I feel sorry for the individuals of ANY faith subjected to such stupid cruelty.

Is it funny because it was a meeting of witlessness??

What if the World Trade Centre were a vast Kindumb hall? Would we have laughed on 9/11 too?

Witlessness have no pity for anyone but themselves... We should set a better example, even if we are atheists.

Yes, I even feel sorry for the poor crazy guy...

• onacruse
    onacruse

<---agreeing with wednesday and ninecharger.

Craig

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

this was not a Molotov Cocktail! It was some idiot dressed up like a pink mummy with a 60 inch sword!

No one got hurt---do you know how many people it would take to wield a 5 foot long sword to any significant effect inside a building? He might have broken someones foot by dragging it over them! My husband has a claymore I got him for re-enacting...he can barely pick it up--let alone swing it around! LOL oh wait a minute let me heft my sword to smite ye.....now stand still so I can cleave you from stern to bow....can someone help me get this thing unsheathed?

Ravyn

• c5
    c5

Forgive me, but I found this so funny, cant stop laughing.

Wish exciting things could have happened at our meetings. Most thrilling or scary thing was when maybe the power would go out for a little bit!

:-) I find this so funny!

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Just in case the article is gone tomorrow: Evil 'mummy' pleads guilty in church robbery Samurai sword-wielding man terrorizes church full of Jehovah's Witnesses

Jim Farrell
    The Edmonton Journal
    Friday, August 01, 2003
    CREDIT: Supplied
    Anthony Alan Burton in disguise.
    ADVERTISEMENT

EDMONTON - When Bill Sokolik buzzed the stranger into the 121st Avenue Kingdom Hall last September, the first thing through the door of the church was a 60-centimetre- long Samurai sword.

An apparition straight out of Curse of the Mummy followed. Anthony Alan Burton, the man who came to terrorize and rob the Jehovah's Witness church on the night of Sept. 3, 2002, had lengths of hospital gauze wrapped over the top of his head. His face was covered with silicone caulking putty and he had smeared pink foundation makeup over the putty. To add to the effect, his eyes were obscured by a large pair of glasses. Latex gloves encased his hands.

"I am the evil that you have read about," the 42-year-old Burton yelled out to the terrified worshippers in the hall that Tuesday night. "This is the face of evil."

Some of those 65 people still suffer the after-effects of that terror, Sokolik said Thursday as he sat in an Edmonton courtroom alongside three other church members. The men had listened to Burton plead guilty to numerous criminal charges including being disguised during a robbery, robbery and possession of prohibited weapons.

Judge P.G. Sully must now determine how to balance Burton's punishment and his need for rehabilitation. During his sentencing hearing, Burton's lawyer produced reports from three psychiatrists and one psychologist which described how his client had been clinically depressed at the time of his madcap robbery attempt.

Burton had run out of his medication several days earlier. That, plus job pressures and trying to fill the financial needs of a wife and three young children on a $15-an-hour wage, had driven him to desperation.

Exhibits presented in court included a videotape of Burton talking to a police detective following his arrest. In that video, Burton wept as he talked about his inability to pay his bills.

"I owe so much money to people," Burton said between sobs. "My whole life is falling apart. I'm just so tired of fighting all the time with life.

"I just been working and working and working," he told Det. Bill Clark. "That's all I ever did -- work."

In the months before his robbery attempt, Burton's world seemed to spin out of control, the psychiatrists' reports said. Depressed and withdrawn, he'd taken time off work. Medication got him back on the job, then the pills ran out.

Burton decided to try something he'd done in 1989 when he robbed a pawn shop. He was caught and given a three-year-sentence for that crime but he would be more careful this time. He would disguise himself and pick a soft target.

Around 7 p.m. on the evening of Sept. 3, he parked his car a block away from the Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall and applied his disguise.

"They were good people. They wouldn't put up resistance," he later told police. "I could intimidate them."

When Burton burst into the hall, children and women began screaming. Burton ignored their screams and instructed some of the men to collect all cash, credit cards, bank cards and card PIN numbers. To add emphasis to his words, Burton slashed a chair seven times with his sword, then grabbed a churchgoer and put the blade to the man's neck before releasing him.

At the back of the church, a woman pulled a cellphone from her pocket. As one of the men collecting money stood in front of her, she huddled down and dialed 911. Police arrived within five minutes.

Pistol in hand, the first officer through the door of the church was Rick Franchuk, a self-described "constable-for-life." Franchuk yelled out to Burton to drop the sword. Burton instead tried to grab a woman but missed. He grabbed another woman by the shirt but let go when a churchgoer seized his arm.

"I don't want to," he yelled when Franchuk demanded again that he drop the sword. "Shoot me! Shoot me!"

Franchuk held his fire.

Burton finally dropped his sword but still wouldn't surrender.

"That's okay. I have more knives and weapons," he said.

Burton finally laid down and police found a medieval-style mace in the pocket of his knee-length overcoat. Fastened to his leg with electrical tape was a 30-cm kitchen knife.

As they sat at the back of the courtroom on Thursday, the four members of the 121st Avenue Kingdom Hall couldn't forget the permanent damage Burton caused them and their families. The wife of one of those men filed a victim impact statement which describes how she still feels the stress of that night -- particularly when she goes to church.

Citing sentencing precedents from home invasions, Crown prosecutor Tony Mah asked for a term of eight to 10 years. Defence lawyer Brad Leebody said a sentence of four to five years would be more appropriate, citing the need for rehabilitation and the fact that Burton has a wife and three children.

Burton returns to court Oct. 2 at which time Scully will set a date for sentencing.

[email protected]

© Copyright 2003 Edmonton Journal
  • logansrun
    logansrun

I guess those old "Samuraii" bits on SNL finally did get to some people...

• chachasmum
    chachasmum

ROTFLMAO oh oh oh thanks for this post I had a really good laugh. Going to put this one in my favourites to show my roomie when she gets home. Too funny. Wish i could have been a fly on the wall.LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit