Maybe I'm Just Ignorant About the New "Anti-Gay" Video

by turtleturtle 146 Replies latest jw friends

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

Simon you just said that the video isn't awful.

Surely you're just referring to the quality of the animation. Because the message that "God doesn't let gays into paradise," although in line with what the bible says, is an awful awful message.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Put it this way. Imagine the video said black people can't get into paradise. Imagine it then said "people can change". It doesn't matter how polite you make that message or if you avoid direct insults. The message itself is simply out of order.

Like it or not, the next generation of young people think bigotry based on sexuality is just as unacceptable as racism. It doesn't matter if it's tradition (so was racism) or commonplace (so was racism) or supported by reference to the Bible (so was racism) or a matter of religious freedom (so was racism).

Ultimately none of those excuses cut any ice because we are all human beings and for 95% of humans to say to the other 5% that they must have no prospect of any intimate life or else they will be branded sinners for destruction is just simply unacceptable. It is hate speech. End of story.

• cofty
    cofty
    It is hate speech. End of story.- SBF

So what do you think the cult should do?

Should they sanction gay weddings in the Kingdom Hall and appoint elders who are in gay relationships?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Cofty you asked me a question earlier but I was driving about what I would do. Well now I would tell my daughter her teacher is right. Before I was exjw I might have struggled to explain it in a nice way (as I was never good at judging people). But I would have had a discrimination mentality no matter how soft I tried yo make it and I would be passing it along to my daughter. If there was a scale for discrimination this might not be between 5-10 but it would be on the scale.

The reasons that you guys protest for the video are the things that I think make it so insidieous and ugly. Trying to paint dissemination as a cute kids story with safe words that isnite hate without saying it.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Cofty,

Why not have them sanction gay weddings. Turning a place of worship into a house of commerce is condemned in the bible also but they make allowances for that with their debit/credit card machines in their worship centers. Overlapping generation equalling 1 generation isn't biblical either. Jesus was silent about homosexuality. Isn't he is the one to closely follow and not Paul (was was the one who condemned men being together in his letters)?

LRG

• cofty
    cofty
    The reasons that you guys protest for the video....

Careful. Nobody is "for" the video.

• cofty
    cofty
    LRG - were you ever a JW?
  • Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

It's a weird moment when I agree with Slimboyfat over Cofty.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Cofty,

I was baptized in 1987

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It depends what you mean by "should do". There are lots of things I think they should do, like stop shunning, report crimes, allow transfusions, promote education, promote civic involvement. But at the end of it they wouldn't be JWs any more I suppose. And no bad thing some might say.

But perhaps by "should do" you mean "what realistically can they do while maintaining their organisation?" At the moment probably not a lot, realistically. It would cause major problems if they suddenly accepted gay marriage right now.

They can shut up about it however. No one forced them to make a video on this topic.

Plus we can't assume the pressures will always be the same. If societal trends continue, time may come when 90% of the public support gay marriage, and increasing numbers of JWs support gay marriage too. What then? It may reach a point where it's more painful to stick to bigotry than it is to change. At that point, or knowing JWs a few years after that point has already been reached, then they will change policy.

The rationale for,doing so has been tried and tested by other religious groups. Simply endorse the idea of stable relationships of all sorts, categorise married gay couples as conforming to a conventional stable framework, and bless away. Say the Old Testament is out of date, Paul didn't refer to gay sex inside marriage, and hey presto. You got yourself a formula for gay JW couples.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit