Maybe I'm Just Ignorant About the New "Anti-Gay" Video

by turtleturtle 146 Replies latest jw friends

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Looks like we are getting lost in who is the victim in relation to the video.

The victims here are not gays. The point of the push back against the video is not from the angle of being homophobic. The real victims here are the kids that are indoctrinated right from the outset by being taught that being gay is wrong, immoral, unacceptable, deserving of punishment, deserving of death one could say.

• Simon
    Simon
    The real victims here are the kids that are indoctrinated right from the outset by being taught that being gay is wrong, immoral, unacceptable, deserving of punishment, deserving of death one could say.

That's a good way of looking at it and the most accurate summation of the issue.

• steve2
    steve2
    Scotsman, the distorted view of sexuality is not exclusive to homosexuality. Look at the proscriptions around oral and anal sex within marriage and the proscription against pre-marital sex. You have toi draw a long bow to see homophobia where more accurately sexualphobia exists.
  • Simon
    Simon
    You have to draw a long bow to see homophobia where more accurately sexualphobia exists.

It's not just sex, the list of the uninvited is quite long. I'm pretty sure most people will be on it for one reason or another (I'm pretty sure I've reviled a few things):

Or do you not know that unrighteous people will not inherit God’s Kingdom? Do not be misled. Those who are sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, men who submit to homosexual acts, men who practice homosexuality, thieves, greedy people, drunkards, revilers, and extortioners will not inherit God’s Kingdom.

Yes, homosexuality gets a double mention ... but it's certainly not limited to that (although to come full circle, it's what the video was about so obviously their target).

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The bible and WT are anti-gay clearly, but not homophobic? WTH?

I'm soooo confuuuused 😟

• cofty
    cofty

Homosexuality is an excellent illustration of the difference between absolute morality based on the dictates of a deity and objective morality based on humanist principles.

JWs are committed to the former. If god says something is bad then that settles it. No reasons are necessary since it is assumed god knows best. It is an infantilising worldview.

Secular ethics demand reasons. Something can only be judged as bad if it can be shown to have harmful consequences.

In many instances these two ways of thinking about morality coincide. Israel didn't really need a stone tablet to know that murder, theft and adultery were not conducive to a prosperous society.

Homosexuality is a conspicuous example of where these two cultures collide. On the one hand god says unequivocally that homosexuality is sinful, but on the other there is no rational reason for that prohibition.

Increased acceptance of gay relationships in society will have an opposite effect on the Watchtower. They pride themselves on being "no part of the world".

A lot of the comments in this and other threads have been trying to prove that JW's opposition to gay relationships is harmful. Of course it is, but to a biblical literalist it makes perfect sense. They are not looking for ways to fit in with the changing values of "the world". They actually believe they are on the moral high ground on this point and they will continue to attract followers who agree.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Increased acceptance of gay relationships in society will have an opposite effect on the Watchtower. They pride themselves on being "no part of the world".
    What about increasing acceptance among JWs themselves? Up from 12% to 16% between 2007 and 2014. What happens if/when more JWs approve than oppose?

• cofty
    cofty
    The Watchtower Society is a dictatorship masquerading as a theocracy not a democracy.
  • scotsman
    scotsman

Heavy sigh.

children raised as JWs are victims because they are being taught to be prejudiced. Not just of homosexuality but a whole host of other things. The JWs have a distorted view of a vast range of things beyond sexuality.

But this cartoon is about teaching prejudice against homosexuals, not adulterers, theives or gluttons. I'm not shocked by it, I've never said I was outraged, nor have I said it should be banned (I've not even waved my hands our flounced).

i stand by the statement that this is cartoon designed to instill prejudice against homosexuals in JW children and I think that's homophobic. I think the Bible's homophobic too.

I sincerely hope you will survive me thinking differently from you.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    Can someone put together a focus group of varied demographic children to watch the video and ask them what they think the video is saying? ....Anyone..please.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit