Farewell

by EdenOne 104 Replies latest jw experiences

• Divergent
    Divergent
    Err... group hug, anybody?
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Lady Lee was the one women civility enforcer. Sometimes overmuch.
  • Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    Err... group hug, anybody?

Nice kitty... pat pat

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    The moderation is for behaviour, not thought.

The way we usually express thoughts are through talking, writing and actions. Of which talking and writing are the most direct way to express thoughts.

That is why freedom of speech is so closely correlated with freedom of thought.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

There is no need to leave the forum because of another poster.

Just refuse to engage anybody in a debate when things get obnoxious. Don't "bite" when somebody gets insulting on a written forum. I had that happen a couple of years ago with a poster who posted something I considered stupid and I disagreed with them. Things degenerate into insults when certain people get frustrated. But, it somehow doesn't work on a written forum.

Fighting and debating work better in person anyway.😈

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    I don't think a moderation team's purpose is to be "thought" nazis.

It never starts out that way, but hey perhaps this time it will be different.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    There is in fact already a moderation team, no? At least there used to be. Scully still here and Simon and Angharad as far as I know. Lady Lee and Jgnat no longer post. There was Jeff too but I think he stopped because he was ill. Somebody needs to write a history of this forum.
  • Simon
    Simon
    Lady Lee was the one women civility enforcer. Sometimes overmuch.

I think in general *less* moderation is usually better. For various reasons, many exJWs have issues with anything they perceive as authority. Of course things that cross the line are removed but we will not be going back to the scolding / telling people off type approach that some used because I think it get's people's backs up.

But on the flip side, it means moderating won't always be immediate and visible and people have to accept that.

I will be looking to expand the moderator team and also provide more community controls (but some then complain about likes and dislikes, sheesh). Ultimately, the forum rules are pretty simple, far from unique and not onerous at all - follow them or don't post.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The Rebel: I would therefore like to take this opportunity to apologise to Oubliette for not adhering to my above words and allowing friction to develop between us.

No worries.

I'm glad you took some time to reflect. It's important for all of us to recognize the difference between discussion and debate on content and personal attacks.

I forget who said it recently, but I loved this advice:

• Don't take it personally, and
    • Don't make it personal

-

Oubliette

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    I explained pretty clearly why people and beliefs are not separate

Yes you did Apognophos but you are wrong, they are separate. Personally, I try to be patient and polite with all doubting Jehovah's Witnesses who come here, they are after all the target demographic for this forum, the very people we should be trying to help. They are me and you, or at least me an you as we once were.

But.

Once individuals become ex-JWs the game changes. I'm an atheist, many other former JW's embrace other denominations of Christianity and I'm fine with that but the conversations can certainly become more impassioned, heated even. For god's sake, we are adults aren't we?!

One of only two posters here that knows my real identity and has access to my real Facebook account is about to be ordained as a Calvinist minister. We've disagreed about much, he's scolded me recently for railing at god's disinterest in his children's suffering but throughout 15 years of debate we've stayed friends because we both respect each other. The person - not the beliefs necessarily.

I've more to say but my lovely Mrs is calling me through to eat . . . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit