Just because the JW'S are wrong doesnt mean theres no god.

by atomant 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

The thread title is wrong. It should read:

" because there is no god.....Jehovah's witnesses are wrong"

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Just because the jws are wrong it doesnt mean there's no god. = correct

Everything else you wrote isn't.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound
    Just because it is raining does not mean there is no Sun. This subject light years away from my mental ability, I would like to think there is a Sun but it just never stops raining, scientists insist it there, just "out of sight". Is God there? Well if he is he is well out of sight and has never revealed any plans, if he has any, to us. Being a JW was in some ways "comfortable" with crutch of Bible and Paradise promise, now I live for my family away from the personality crushing org.
  • prologos
    prologos
    and just because there is no god, does not mean there is no creator of sorts. imho
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

l also believe if we all live as close to the 10 commandments as possible this world would be a far better place to live and no one can argue with that.

Many can argue with that.

Don't Kill, Don't Steal. Those are great. But those type of rules were not "invented" at the time they were supposedly written. They were widely accepted tens of thousands of years before that. The Code of Hammurabi predates the 10 C's by centuries and there is an existing copy from days gone by in stone. And other civilizations (China, India, Sumeria, Egypt) had law codes that had prohibitions against murder, theft, adultery, fraud.

So don't assume the 10 C's are good because many of it's tenants are good.

The first commandment, punishable by death or suffering for generations, to have no other gods- we have the start of an enforced belief system that could and did lead to things like the Spanish Inquisition and the dark ages. Today, another group has a similar commandment- The Taliban.

The second commandment about no graven images, that's pretty much unenforced in Christianity. Could you imagine it's enforcement today. You don't have to imagine. Muslims were enraged at drawings of Muhammad. In United States law, the second commandment is nowhere. I could not imagine the U.S. would be "a far better place to live" if the second commandment were enforced similarly to Muslims laws about "graven images."

The third commandment about taking the Lord's name in vain, this is just a restatement of the first commandment, enforced belief. This one is just more specific in that someone will define what "in vain" means and can put scientists and thinkers to death for daring to defy the church.

The fourth commandment about the Sabbath. Could you imagine a world where nobody does anything on Saturday (or Sunday)? There are little groups that try to enforce this one. Technically, driving your car to church on the Sabbath is a violation of the commandment, punishable by death.

Honoring your parents is a good idea, but if some priestly body were to define this, many many many teens would be stoned to death over the objections of their parents.

Here's the guts of the ten commandments that are okay:

Don't kill people.
    Don't take what isn't yours.
    Be fair.
    Be good to your parents.

I could add things like
    Don't be an idiot.
    Be good to your children.
    Don't own slaves.
    Be a good neighbor by cleaning your property, shoveling snow, cutting your grass, helping the elderly.
    Do the right thing.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Believing something doesn't make it so, and feelings aren't facts.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

10 commandments as possible this world would be a far better place to live and no one can argue with that.

Well yes these social laws were designed to control a specific ancient civilization but they didn't actually come through instruction by a real god.

Gods were perceived powerful agents who controlled the universe and what occurs to be seen and felt.

Other ancient civilizations created socialized laws as well with similar intent to make their civilization controlled and peacefully cooperative.

It seems that all human civilizations created socialized laws for its engaging inhabitants and many times these laws are structured within spiritualism as a means to solidify them to whom they are being directed to..

These socialized laws sometimes evolve to something better overall ie. the ancient Roman civilization eventually embracing Christianity.

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

rebel8:

"Believing something doesn't make it so, and feelings aren't facts." Post of the week.

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

Your right, God has nothing to do with the validation of the JW's religion. They are just another religion out of 80'000 plus that inhabit the earth with a message of "do as I do or die, because God said so". The Ten commandments are just some basic laws created to control some very simple minded people. Read them over and over do you really think God would say that. I could come up with more creative things to say, to impress a very primitive people. Example “You shall have no other gods before me"

Really, so God has no power to remove these other gods from the land because he is just another man made god. The power is in the people to decide not to have another god before them. If they do then the elder's or men in charge have the authority to murder you for disobeying said "god". Which is a contradiction of the “You shall not murder.

These primitive laws give these men permission to murder when it violates there laws that they invented to control simple, primitive people.

• Giordano
    Giordano

If one takes an objective look every god worshiped in the past and those that are still worshiped to this day are a clear reflection of the people and culture....that evolved them. In other words the way they fit is suspicious and hence obvious that they are merely a reflection of the people and culture that claimed them. A god starts as an invisible presence, that then morphs into an answer for everything that can't be rationally explained.

One person's delusion is called insanity. A group of people who are delusional is called a religion.

An oft repeated point is that the natural language of God is Silence.............everything else is a bad translation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit