George Benson

by TresHappy 39 Replies latest social humour

• Brummie
    Brummie

I've got most of his r&b stuff. He's one of my fav artist. Wouldnt go to a concert though, might see too many people I know.

Brummie

• RR
    RR

George and I cleaned the toilets together at the Stanley Theater in Jersey City, NJ

RR

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

RE: The John Denver urban legend. I heard it too (that Denver would "kick the JWs out of his concerts"). Then I talked to another JW who was supposedly better informed. She said she knew for a fact that Denver had friends who were JWs, and had even studied at one time, and (according to her) what he actually said was, "If there are any JWs in the audience, the next segment will be a patriotic one, and if that bothers your conscience you might want to step out and go to the bathroom or get something to eat or drink til it's over." It offended this sister that Denver was trying to be nice to JWs and was getting negative lies told about him for it.

I never knew either way. I just knew I loved his music and wish he hadn't died.

• Dansk
    Dansk

City Fan,

It's the same at Hank Marvin concerts (so I've been told!)

You know, when I was a Dub I never could come to terms with this guy being a JW, and an elder at that! How is it he could do all those gigs, backing Cliff and all, and yet gigs for the band boys in the congregation was forbidden?

And are the William sisters still JWs? Did they attend/are they going to attend a District Convention?

Guess it's just the same in the troof. It's not what you are but who you are. Hypocrites!

Dansk

• Mulan
    Mulan

The Don Ho story was an urban legend too. We had a couple in our congregation whose son lived in Hawaii and worked for Don Ho. He actually employed lots of JW's because he could depend on them to actually show up for work.

He supposedly was pretty hurt by this rumor and tried to make up for it by being especially nice to dubs.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Thanks for clearing up another false rumor. (Ever heard the one about Glen Campbell being a JW?) Yea, that's it..."I'm a lineman for the county...and I go door-to-door."

I think 99.99% of the rumors I heard in the WT were wrong. I remember hearing about that actor from "Pretty in Pink" - Jon Cryer. I heard he was studying with a fellow from Bethel. That was in the late 80's and since I left 10 years ago, my JW urban legend memory has ceased to exist.

About John Denver: What an absolute talent. I love his music also. His 2 greatest hits CD's are in my car and I play them from time to time. I am sorry he died also. He was in Fort Worth two weeks before he died in October 1997 and I wished I had gone to see him...

• Nikita
    Nikita

I remember back when ET came out-at the height of my dubism-the brothers and sisters I went to the movies with insisted that a guy in it was a dub. I think he was an FBI agent that tried to stop the car when ET and Elliot tried to make their escape from the quarantined home. Anyone else ever hear that one?

Nikita

• berylblue
    berylblue

I heard Van Morrison was a witness (Based, I suppose, on his song entitled, "Kingdom Hall"

Rosemarie

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I believe that George Benson wrote 'Pray to Jehovah Each Day', if I've got the Kingdom Melody's title right. My family knew Theresa Graves, a black actress who became a JW. We got a demo tape of it - no name mentioned but the assurance he was a VERY well known artist. What was almost certainly George Benson playing on guitar and singing, with the first word being 'Talk' instead of 'Pray'. Not certain proof though.

Van Morrison knows Witness and has been to meetings, but the meeting he describes ain't one I've been to. Patti Smith grew up a Witness and thinks they're fine.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Van Morrison's mother is a Witness in Belfast and has been for eons. She is a delightful person.

'Wichita Lineman' was written by Jimmy Webb ( one of *the* great songwriters ) , as were most of Campbell's hits, the Campbell /JW thing was a childish hoax although I would have paid money to see Campbell handling a No. 4 talk and passing the microphones around. Last thing I heard Lew Soloff, original trumpet player with Blood Sweat & Tears is a happy JW, as was Trummy Young ( Louis Armstrong's trombone player ). One of the ELO mob is married to a JW and attends meetings I am told.

John Travolta and Chick Corea are Scientologists....which means that noteriety is no protection against the adpotion of foolish notions. Just look at ourselves!

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit