George Benson

by TresHappy 39 Replies latest social humour

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I just heard George Benson on the radio. Got me to thinking - is George Benson still an active Witness?

• happyout
    happyout

Yes, he is. He used to hang out with another brother who is a musician, and they still keep in touch.

Happyout

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    He used to hang out with another brother who is a musician

Prince?

• Matty
    Matty

He knows what brings the money in now the hits have dried up. Speaking from personal experience, going to a George Benson gig is like going to a dub convention - they're everywhere to be seen - if he left the troof then he wouldn't have half as many people going to his concerts or buying his cd's!

• City Fan
    City Fan

Matty -

It's the same at Hank Marvin concerts (so I've been told!)

• happyout
    happyout

drwtsn32

You funny! No, it's Wilton Felder, a member of the former Crusaders (Jazz Crusaders), who is also still actively touring (although mostly overseas and in small concerts)

Happyout

• Mulan
    Mulan

I heard him interviewed on the radio quite a few years ago, when he was supposedly an active witness. At that time, he was being considered for the role of Malcom X, that eventually went to Denzel Washington.

He was so thrilled to be considered for that role, and talked on and on about how Malcom X was his idol and the idol of all black men. I thought to myself that this guy can't possibly still be a witness. I was a very loyal one back then myself.

I know many people who went to his concerts and were invited backstage to meet him. His people come out after the show and invite all JW's to come backstage. They were all starstruck with him, so they went. I never went to one of his shows.

When he lived on Maui, some friends of ours went to his congregation Sunday meeting while they were on vacation there, and he read the WT that morning. They got photos with him. Woohoo.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I went to his website and looked around there. He's still touring, his upcoming appearances are all over Europe.

For those of you who want to look or even care - it's www.georgebenson.com

Mulan - I used to hear a JW urban legend about Don Ho not liking the Witnesses. Anyone else heard that rumor also?

• happyout
    happyout

TresHappy,

I don't know about Don Ho, but I heard a long time ago that John Denver hated dubs and would ask them to stand at his concert, and then play the national anthem. That could have just been a dubbie Urban Legend though.

Happyout

• Shakita
    Shakita

Don't know much about George Benson, but I do love his song "The Greatest Love of All". It has always been one of my favorites.

Mrs. Shakita

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit