George Benson

by TresHappy 39 Replies latest social humour

• BritBoy
    BritBoy
    I heard Maralyn Manson's having a study

I heard he was now annointed! It seems anyone can be these days! Just donate enough money....

• vitty
    vitty

Hi and welcome al cano

Would he and his family still be "fine" he he became inactive or was DFd.....................ummm...............just wondering

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev

Jah rules the rapper grew up as a witness. I heard him talking about it on Howard Stern a few years back. He said that his mom got kicked out for "hanging around workmates...."hint, hint....nudge, nudge....and that really turned him off to the religion. When he became famous though all the friends and family that were shunning them started to hang around, even with his mom Df'ed. Can you say money talks.

• parakeet
    parakeet

freedom96:
    ***The WTS always taught not to do things that showed ourselves in the limelight, music, television, sports etc. So I was always confused when witnesses made such a fuss over entertainers that were witnesses.***
    I never understood the fuss made over JW celebrities, either. If any of them were true JWs, they would drop their guitars, tennis rackets, or whatever and immediately go into the full-time pioneer "ministry." After all, Armageddon is coming "real soon now." Instead of saving lives for Jehovah, they're out there making scads of money, and the JWs love them for it.
    I remember years back a JW relative telling me that Michael Jackson was a dub, as though I should be impressed by that. Now that Jackson has become a full-time nutjob, the relative doesn't mention him at all. I guess she hopes I don't remember her comment.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I heard somewhere that George Benson was disfellowshipped in 2005. I wonder if anyone actually has any sources to confirm or deny it.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

Wilton Felder, the Texas Tornado!!!

(we used to play some of their songs)

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.myspace.com/georgebensonmusic

Why not check with him on his myspace location?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Well, it doesn't say a word about his religious background there. However, I did find a clue on Rhapsody. I checked his two latest release CDs, both after 2005. And they both had songs with titles that strongly hinted that the songs were dirty. Which is a very good sign, since he would be in trouble with the Washtowel if he was still active.

At the very least, he would be "bad association" because of his being on MySpace, despite that the Washtowel has specifically told people that anyone with MySpace accounts would not get any "privileges". And that is another good sign.

• gymbob
    gymbob

I met Benson at Bethel too. Also, when he came through town a few years ago many witnesses went to the concert.

John Denver had some of the JW literature but never studied. He had a good friend (musician, ex-bethelite, now ex-dub) named Wayne Stuart who witnessed to him. He did not hate witnesses. I knew Wayne before he left the borg back in the 70's. he performed the marraige for my sister and bro-in-law in the kingdom hall. Wayne also cut a album back around 1980 that Denver played on. Gymbob

• rebel8
    rebel8

"I heard somewhere that George Benson was disfellowshipped in 2005. I wonder if anyone actually has any sources to confirm or deny it."

He did schedule an event and accepted sponsor$hip from tobacco companies, although international pressure (from public health people, not jws or his own conscience) caused him to cave in (as I recall). I believe I started a thread about it a year or two ago.

This made me wonder if he was really a jw.

He can easily specify that his promoters not take tobacco $. Many organizations do this. I even do it with my own retirement fund--not difficult to make an ethical stand if you want to, Georgie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit