George Benson

by TresHappy 39 Replies latest social humour

• freedom96
    freedom96

The WTS always taught not to do things that showed ourselves in the limelight, music, television, sports etc. So I was always confused when witnesses made such a fuss over entertainers that were witnesses.

In the hall I grew up in, there is no way you could tour and be in show business like George Benson and had any privledges, let alone be an elder.

I guess money makes the difference.

I would hardly call the Williams sisters witnesses, though they apparently did grow up as ones.

Always heard the rumors about John Denver, but I never wanted to believe them, as I am a big fan. I did go to one of his recent concerts before he died, and he never mentioned anything about witnesses at all.

There have been many rumors about entertainers that have studied. I even heard that Elvis read the magazines. Who knows. Good for them, that most never got involved.

As far as those who hired witnesses because they were honest, well, many witnesses are, and I can see the logic in hiring them.

• RR
    RR
    I heard Van Morrison was a witness (Based, I suppose, on his song entitled, "Kingdom Hall"

Actually, Van Morrison's mom was a JW, he grew up among the JW's but never officially became one.

RR

• mouthy
    mouthy

I believe Graves was a JW & burned to death Right?

• waiting
    waiting

I think one reason these urban legends continue for decades is:

Jehovah's Witnesses relish the thought that they're "persecuted for the sake of the Good News." To them - this is one sure proof that that their religion is The Truth.

So these types of urban legends go on for decades. I heard the Don Ho one back in the early 70's, along with the John Denver one.

Btw, HS, quite a few actors are into Scientology - or so I've heard. Travolta (and I heard from a very good source that he wouldn't be nearly as active if he weren't covering for an *altenative lifestyle*), Kristy Alley, Tom Cruise & his x-wife, Lisa Presley.........some from memory.

Was at an x-cult seminar with a fabulous x-Scientologist - who was Travolta's trainer/teacher. Was that little blond a wealth of information or what!

She said that when she tells outside people all the stuff that she believed as a Scientologist.....they say: "How could you believe all that crap?"

She held her arms out wide and loudly said "I tell them......because I was in a cult!"

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

The perfect George Benson song: MASQUERADE

• Gopher
    Gopher
    I believe Graves was a JW & burned to death Right?

That is correct. A space heater caught fire, if I remember correctly. I don't believe she was an active j-dub at the time of her demise.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/38459/1.ashx

• Gopher
    Gopher

Ray -- you stole my idea.

The perfect George Benson song: MASQUERADE
    The question is, when will this masquerade of his (as a JW) finally end? Do we know the reasons, why he carries on this way?
  • al cano
    al cano

I know George Benson personally and he and his family are active members and fine family.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I know George Benson personally and he and his family are active members and fine family. I am sure he is...As are MOST Jehovahs Witnesses !!!! I think your implying that others on this lnk is trying to say he is not... That is not the case.

• BritBoy
    BritBoy

I met him once when I was at Bethel. He attended a meeting at the Kingdom Hall... one of the sisters at Bethel's mother was a radio DJ so she brought him along to the meeting. He came with several HEAVY bodygaurds who stood very menacingly at the back of the Hall... caused quite the stir in the congo as you could imagine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit