Elder's letter requesting details of solicitors, barristers and accountants

by jwfacts 49 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good OP, JWFacts, and thanks for the link, Atlantis.

It seems that the WT are desperate following the ARC. Higher ups want elders to recommend JWS that are qualified solicitors, accountants, etc. but not let them know what's going on? They want the elders to give info on these qualified JWs by just best guessing their educational history?

If it's legit and above-board, all they have to do is say to people "excuse me brother/sister so-and-so, Bethel needs more university educated people. We feel you might fit the bill. What is your educational history?"

That letter, posted by Atlantis, screams 'cult!' to me ...

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    I just wonder if that's legal keeping files on people with out their knowledge or consent. Mind you I suppose the police do it so why not Wt. If it is legal I certainly think they have over stepped the boundaries of privacy and confidentiality.
  • steve2
    steve2

For whatever it's worth, letters like this are not new. I recall reading the same letter back in the late 1990s. It's a recruitment tool. Legal? Yes. Creepy? Yes.

That's true Marvin. At the same time, context is everything. It is unlikely a coincidence that the Royal Commission is currently in process and its decisions will have an impact on the organization in Australia.

To my knowledge - and hailing from this part of the planet - this is a first for the Australia branch office to contact bodies of elders throughout Australia requesting such information.

And the emphasis on its secretive nature involving the nonconsensual collection of private information on the "spiritual standing" of anyone in the congregations (male or female) who has legal qualifications is surely unprecedented, no?

I doubt that branch office letters in other countries in the 1990s seeking information on "brothers" with legal qualifications were at the present level of secrecy.

Also, interesting that they have implicit provision in the criteria for seeking information on the gender of those in congregations legal qualifications - surely that is a first? Past letters would have stipulation it was seeking information on "brothers".

(New Zealand is now under the Australian branch office, but I don't know whether bodies of elders in this country are also receiving this letter).

• The Poetry Of Reality
    The Poetry Of Reality

Paul - has Angus Stewart SC been notified?

(New Zealand is now under the Australian branch office, but I don't know whether bodies of elders in this country are also receiving this letter).

I will look into this and report back.

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

U.S. 10 months ago: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/65160003/re-experienced-attorneys-paralegals-needed-bethel?size=20&page=1

Now, Australia. Any other countries? (I'm looking at you UK)

• Splash
    Splash

This request has already been made in the UK.

Same M.O.

• elderINewton
    elderINewton

big difference is that CPA's are mentioned. It was not mentioned in the US, and I don't think it was done in the UK.

Completely different skill set.

Something is amiss.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Maybe they are planning to mass disfellowship all of these who have received "higher education"!

LOL

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    With that Australian RC a few months back, they need people who are lawyers to deal with the political red tape after all the fall out. I heard too of possible another RC in the United Kingdom. They could be digging-in with their ankles for more legal help obviously.
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

Here's some wild speculation for you.

Could they be after a bunch of company men and women to look after the forced sale of halls and congregation assets? Here in the UK it is common, outside of the larger towns and cities, for there to be areas where there are 2 or 3 halls with single congregations within a 10-20 mile radius. I bet the same applies in other places as well. What if they simply force 2 or 3 congregations to all meet in one hall and force the sale of the unused single congregation halls?

My bit of 2+2=5 for the week...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit