On Blaming God...

by AGuest 135 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AGuest
    AGuest

offer a "bad" sacrifice? Again, peace to you all!

The answer here is that is was NOT about the sacrifice at all (sorry, dear DJ!), but what was in Cain's HEART... when offering it! The "law" that was "violated" is that Cain... was not CLEAN when he offered up his sacrifice. If something UNCLEAN... touches something... then the thing TOUCHED... becomes UNCLEAN.

BOTH Cain and Abel brought the "firstfruits" of their crop or herd. It was MANDATORY. And there was no greater "worth" in being a herder of sheep than a cultivator of the ground. Both... were worthy tasks... for if both were herders, who would cultivate? And if both were cultivators, who would herd? JAH Himself... is a Cultivator - John 15:1

But Abel's offering was different from Cain's because it had greater WORTH. Why? It's value was based on this: How can you be loving God... whom you have NOT seen, if you are not loving your brother whom you HAVE seen?

Cain did what was RIGHT... but not what was TRUE. He was trying to FOOL HOLY SPIRIT... because he did not love his brother INSIDE. Abel, however, loved his brother (yes, we do know this, because he didn't just blow Cain off, when invited out the field...)... and so his sacrifice... was TRUE... as well as RIGHT. It was WORTH more.

Cain was like the Pharisees... who concerned themselves with being "clean" on the OUTSIDE, so that they debated the issue of washing. They gave the tenth of the mint and the dill and the cumin, but who overlooked the WEIGHTIER matters... namely, justice, mercy and faithfulness... and thus, were considered by my Lord to be UNCLEAN... on the INSIDE. Whatever it was, then, that Cain had "against" Abel (or Abel against Cain)... Cain SHOULD have been quick about settling it... so as to return to his "love" Thus, he was WARNED:

"If you TURN... to doing GOOD... will there not be an exultation?"

But Cain did not "turn"... he kept on with his anger.

Why? Because he was UNCLEAN... inside... in his heart. It was from that place that his "murder" of Abel came. His "desire" to kill Abel... which desire led to his actual "sin." Cain COULD have overcome that "desire" by means of a cleansing... or "curing"... from the leaves of the Tree, Christ. Alternatively, if he could NOT overcome it... he could... by means of "turning" to Christ... eat... in FAITH and in true repentance... so as to have the sin "blotted out". As did David... who also committed "murder" as well as "adultery" and also attempted to "bear false witness".

But, like Adam... who was removed from the Garden... Cain was removed from Eden altogether... so as not to eat... and live forever.

It is true that by means of our own works, we cannot "buy" our way in, but only by means of Christ... which means is a GIFT. It is true that it is our own pride that keeps us from seeing this... from understanding our deficit and therefore NEED for this. And it is true that only the blood of Christ can wash us so as to cleanse us for entry.

But it does not matter whether the sacrifice is a bull... or a turtle dove... grain... or oil. What matters... is whether the one OFFERING the sacrifice does so... out of a "pure" heart... and clean "hands".

I bid you peace.

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• AGuest
    AGuest

I have no desire to change you or your thinking. If it floats YOUR boat... so be it.

But... peace to you.

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I suppose your version of God and mine are a bit different.

You may or may not be responding to me, dear Scully, but if you are... peace to you!

I believe that a God who created "me" would know and accept the personality that "He" gave me,

If He created you, I would agree... and particularly if He gave you the personality that He did, yes. But I think our "personalities" are more a product of our respective parents and siblings... our culture and beliefs... and our environment and location. But, I may be wrong...

and would understand and be forgiving of my foibles.

HE... does. I ask you: look to Christ. Whom did he condemn, other than the religious leaders who were lying about God, and using such lies to mislead the people? Even the "evildoer" on the stake next to him... the adulterous woman... the extortioner Zacchaeus... whom of these did he condemn? Did he not FORGIVE them one and all? It is earthling man... everyone of whom exists his or her self in "sin"... who refuses to understand... and refuses to forgive... but would rather judge... and condemn. LOOK AT THE TRUTH.

"He" could handle it if I got angry with "Him", because "He" is perfect and I am not.

He handled it with Moses, with Abraham, with Jonah... and others. Who is it that led you to believe that He WOULDN'T? He? Christ? Or earthling man?

"He" could also handle it because "He" is supposedly the superlative and personified expression of love.

Again, He can... because... He IS.

If "He" cannot handle my anger, my blaming him for things that are beyond my control or any other petty little hissy fit that I might express (as a divine expression of the way "He" created imperfect lil ole me), then "He" isn't much of a "god", is "He"?

Did He get "angry" with Adam? Or did He warn Adam... and hold him to the consequences? Did He get "angry" with Cain? Or did He not show mercy with Cain? People get made at God EVERY day... and some throw "hissy fits" MUCH greater than what is posted here. And yet, He has NOT acted harshly against us... if even at all.

Now that isn't to say that I do not feel a sense of personal responsibility and accountability for my own actions, because I do. Very much so.

And so far, you are the ONLY one who had admitted that you even should. THOUSANDS of folks post here... and only you have deigned to even comment on the subject. THINK about it.

But "God" should not be someone that I need to walk around on eggshells around - of ALL people in the universe - "God" is the ONE person I should be the MOST free to express myself with, and know that even if I get mad at "Him", or even say some pretty heated things to "Him" in my imperfect angry state of mind (doesn't happen often anymore, btw), that "He" will accept me as I am and still love me, regardless of how I feel about "Him" at any given moment.

BINGO! And THAT... is what Christ CAME... and TAUGHT!! But... do people "teach" what Christ taught? Or... to they constantly defer to Paul? I mean, to whom are we to listen, Christ? Or Paul? Yet... when folks want to point out what someone has done WRONG... want to point a FINGER... want to "lay down law"... want to tell someone what they should or should not be doing... it almost ALWAYS has to do with "church" doctrine or rules... and almost ALWAYS... goes back to Paul! Yet... WHO is to be our LEADER? And what would HE say or do? "Uh, ummmm... no, Sister... you can't comment... for SEVERAL reasons: your head isn't covered, your hair is short, you have a husband... heck, you're a WOMAN. Be quiet and learn at home!" But, the Samaritan woman not only spoke to him, but asked him questions... and THEN... HE sent HER... to get HER "husband"... who was NOT her husband... and yet... he did not CONDEMN her! In fact, he PRAISED her... for telling him the TRUTH. She didn't try to FOOL him. Why? She did not FEAR HIM! But religion... has taught... and is teaching... FEAR of God... so that we try to HIDE from Him... what we are and what we DO. Like... ADAM! Christ, was NOT about that, but on the contrary was about COMING to God and being OPEN about who and what you are, so as to be FORGIVEN. Thus, he said of Nathaniel, "An Israelite, for a CERTAINTY in whom there is NO deceit!" He doesn't care... so long as you don't try to FOOL them... because... you CAN'T. It is a SLAP IN THE FACE... starting with Adam... who THOUGHT he could "hide"... from God. You cannot... and Adam should have known that.

As long as I am doing my personal best in all that I do, that should be enough to please "God". After all, "He" gave me whatever talents and abilities that I have to work with. When "God" starts expecting more of me than I am able to give, then it seems to me that I am on my way back to the KH.

What does God "ask" of you, dear Scully? What does He ask of ANY of us? To love HIM... with our whole heart, whole soul, whole mind and whole strength... and to love our NEIGHBOR... AS... OURSELF. How HARD is that? For some... apparently TOO hard. For many, impossible. Which is why they go around judging and CONDEMNING others... because they have that very "expectation"... although they TRY to act like they don't.

Love, Scully (member of Ellipsis Anonymous, Canadian Chapter )

Welcome, girl! This is the local "CAPITALS" subchapter! Peace to you! Your servant and a slave of Christ, SJ

• AGuest
    AGuest

Peace to you!

TJ “said” - God said, "bring your best" and that's what he did.
    SJ “said” - Ahhhh, here is the problem: you are in error in your understanding! It was not ABOUT the offering itself... but about what was in CAIN... when he BROUGHT it. Cain... had a problem... that he didn't FIX... BEFORE he offered up HIS gift. Matthew 5:22-24; now, we don't know the circumstances of what it was Cain didn't fix, but...

And then TJ “said” - Shelby, I don't know the reason for your quoting Matthew

I brought it in, dear TJ, because if you want to KNOW God… you must FIRST… know CHRIST. So, on the subject of “offerings”… what did Christ SAY?

but for you I think it clouds the issue.

Perhaps, for YOU. For ME, it helps me understand what was “wrong” with Cain’s offering.

You cannot make the mistake of reading more into the passage than what it actually says.

And I didn’t: the passage says that Abel’s offering was worth more than Cain’s. Well, I needed to know WHY that was. And I asked. And I “received” what was stated by my Lord at Matthew 5:22-24. And when I went there and read it, I understood what the issue was: Cain did not make peace before attempting to make his offerings. Easy. But… if you all want to MAKE it “rocket science”, go ahead. For the LIFE of me, though, I cannot understand WHY…

Look at what Genesis (not Matthew) says:

I DID look at Genesis, dear Teej. Again, I wanted to know WHY “The LORD looked with favor on Abel and his offering, but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor.”

Do you see where it says, "But Able brought fat portions..."? The word "BUT"? To me, that clearly infers that Abel's offering was automatically more acceptable to god at the time it was offered.

Um-hmmmm. But the TRUTH is that there is no such word there, dear Teej… either the word “but” which some versions include… OR the word “and” which other versions include. The word there is only “Hebel”, which, in English, is “Abel” (the "H" in Hebrew is silent, which is why the word that WE pronounce as "haa-lay-loo-yuh" is REALLY "aa-lay-loo-yah"!) I digress.

Why is it like that? Because “and”, “but” and “or” are CONJUNCTIONS… which the ENGLISH language includes… to begin a sentence that seemed fragmented before such inclusion. And such inclusion… in this case and many others… is quite misleading. “Tampering”… always is.

(NOTE: I IMPLORE you… if you won’t go directly to the SOURCE (John 5:39, 40)… then at least… STUDY LANGUAGE. It will help you a GREAT deal when reading ANY version of the Bible. Or… you can leave it those who believe that you WON’T study language… and thus WILL believe everything you SEE “written”… and/or are told by earthling man.)

Without giving any explanation, the passage goes on to say that god did not look with favor on Cain's.

No explanation is needed. All on needs to do is understand the “protocol” for offering up gifts… either under the Law Covenant, as given by Moses… or pursuant to the NEW Covenant, as given by Christ. E asy. Certain things are “antitypical” of other certain things, dear Teejay. Truly, there is NOTHING NEW… under the sun. Religion, however, does not teach you that… because RELIGION… does not KNOW it.

"So" (or then) Cain became angry.

Not quite. Tell you what, let’s look at the HEBREW, if you will permit me, because there are some pretty important things to note:

Okay, well, I TRIED to cut and paste the actual Hebrew words that are on record… but I couldn’t do it. Ah, well… here is the ENGLISH translation of them… and I want you to NOTICE something:

4:2

And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.

4:3

And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.

4:4

And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:

4:5

But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect . And Cain was very wroth , and his countenance fell .

4:6

And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth ? and why is thy countenance fallen ?

Do you see the words that are blue... or purple links? Those are the HEBREW words. Do you see the ones that are black? Those are the words ADDED… to make the HEBREW words… “make sense”. My point? “But” is NOT included in original Hebrew of verse 3 (nor is “And”)… and “So” is not a true part of verse 5. Do you SEE that? SCRIBES… have added such words… based on THEIR understanding. And THAT is why… I do NOT rely on what is “written”… but instead… go to the SOURCE, my Lord. (John 5:39, 40)

As far as I'm concerned, Cain had every right to be angry. God showed callous favoritism -- a conditional love that hurt Cain's spirit.

You are in error, dear Teejay. You are basing your position on what you THINK happened… rather than what DID occur. But, now , with regard to the verses... let me share with you what my Lord has revealed it to ME:

(Before I continue – for those of you will want to clutch your hearts in utter disbelief… and begin ripping your garments, throwing ashes in the air and weeping and gnashing your teeth… over the fact that I have “red-lettered” some changes here, I must say to you that what I have done here is nothing more than every other Bible “translator”… many of whom you respect, but who have made purposeful, erroneous changes… which is why each version says things slightly different from another version. I do not intend to publish this – although it IS what I have heard from my Lord – nor to I intend to attempt to persuade you as to it truth. I do not “push” what is “written” and therefore, there is NO benefit to me one way or another. I will tell you as I always have – go to the SOURCE… Christ. Hear HIM… and get the sense and TRUTH of it… from him.)

4:2

And she again bare Cain a brother Abel. Abel was a keeper of sheep (shepherd) and Cain was a tiller of the ground (cultivator).

4:3

And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit (produce) of the ground an offering unto JaHVeH

4:4

And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And JaHVeH had respect unto Abel and to his offering:

4:5

But for Cain and his offering he had not respect. Because Cain was very wroth (angry), so that his countenance fell. (he frowned/looked downcast)

4:6

And so the JaHVeH said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth (angry) ? and why is thy countenance fallen ? (why are you frowning/looking mad)

Now the account does NOT say that it was due to ABEL that Cain was angry of his countenance had fallen. No, we ASSUME that Cain was angry AT GOD... but killed ABEL... because GOD rejected his (Cain’s) offering. Yet, it was ABEL that he killed. Why do we NOT assume that he was angry... with ABEL? What if he was angry with ABEL... so much that he wanted to KILL him? For that is the TRUTH… God rejected his offering BECAUSE he was angry… BECAUSE he had murder… in his HEART. It had not yet been “born”… and God tried to WARN Cain… because He... saw... it... coming. But if God had stopped Cain from doing what CAIN wanted to do... how then can we call Cain a FREE "moral agent"? And IF a free moral agent, why didn't Cain... STOP HIMSELF?

You can try to explain away the mistake god made, but I won't excuse god's guilt in the events that later unfolded. God was wrong. Period.

Okay. If YOU say so, dear Teej. You were there, of course… and my Lord was not. So, what HE says took place… is not correct, but what earthling man has PRESUMED took place is. Okay. I’m “easy”…

SJ “said” - Cain... did not... do his "best". Far from it. He thought God couldn't tell.

TJ "said" - Please show me where it says that.

It SAYS… that “murders” come from within the HEART, yes? And that sin is RESULT of what is IN us, our DESIRES, yes? And Cain… murdered Abel. Yes? So, such "murder" was IN him, yes? In his HEART? Which heart God SEES, yes? So that God saw Cain’s HEART… what was IN it... and so REJECTED Cain’s offering… and told Cain to get the “master” over it. Yes? Cain, though, rather than own up to what was IN him… let his anger take over… and a result… the DESIRE… gave birth… to SIN. That is how it WORKS, dear Teejay.

I think you misunderstood me when I said: "I will not chastise her for it because I was personally expecting something else".

No, I understood you… and stand by my comment: say what you will and will not do now, but come back in a few years and tell me what you DID. Because right now, you truly have NO idea.

But that's just it. I do have an idea.

Uh-huh. We shall see. But I tell you, I know many fathers… many, MANY fathers… who think they know at age 3, 4 or 5… what they… and their daughters… will or will not do… when she is 13, 14, 15, etc.
    You are confusing the issue, I think.

Nope, I didn’t. I just have a 25-year-old daughter… and many friends with daughters… and sons… of ALL ages... and we ALL said what we were going to do and not do. And we’ve all… at some point or another... “eaten crow.” And you will, too. But nevermind…

God told his two sons to bring an offering. They did, based on their livelihoods.

I agree. Nothing wrong, there.

God liked one and not the other without stating why.

I disagree that it had anything to do with "liking" one or the other. Rather, it was Cain's OFFERING for which He had no respect. I think your assumption is an error, based on misunderstanding... and misinformation.

Cain got angry and, without explaining himself or showing Cain how he could improve on his initial offering, god chastised Cain even more.

Now, I CERTAINLY disagree: If Cain knew to BRING offerings… most likely he knew the “rules” of bringing them. And God DID tell Cain how he could “improve”. That one, we KNOW. And God did not chastise CAIN more… rather, CAIN… killed his brother! Cain… punished ABEL. Where is the “right” in THAT?!

It was as if god stooped down and gave Abel a big hug and shot an angry look at Cain.

Wow! As a mother of two… I guess I better be careful, huh? Better not praise one and discipline the other, ever, even if it is warranted, yes? Cause one of ‘em might just KILL the other one… and that would be MY fault, right? How many kids you got, Teej?

God was wrong.

Your opinion. And you’re quite entitled to it, no matter how erroneous it may be.

Confusing what god did with me being unhappy with my daughter dating a thug are two totally different things. Surely you see that.

Not really. I do see that you completely overlooked the purpose of my comparison, but be that as it may…

I understand. If god tells someone to murder, then it's good.

I COULD say this two (2) ways, dear Teej: I COULD say, like Bill Cosby… if God brought us INTO the world… He can take us out. But while that could be construed as true… it is not, entirely. In the case of Abraham and Isaac, God gave Abraham a directive… which HE… GOD… remedied.

But again, you miss my point. Earlier in this thread you made the statement that if god kills people who are about to do something wrong, people would complain about god's unfairness.

Yes.

To solve that problem while still putting a stop to wrongdoing, I mention the incident involving the murder sacrifice of Isaac to point out that god does not have to kill people to stop bad things from happening.

Yes. And you missed MY point: the incident involving Isaac is something GOD… put into action. Yes? However, my example of Ted Bundy is regarding something that GOD… did NOT put into action. As I said, you missed MY point.

He can also send angels to simply stop the activity – whatever the activity is. He can stop a murderer from committing murder without killing the murderer. Just like he stopped Abraham from murdering sacrificing Issac.

But with the exception of Israel, with whom He has a COVENANT to protect, why is He OBLIGATED to? Where is it WRITTEN that HE… is OBLIGATED… to stop US… from harming one ANOTHER… when HE… had nothing to DO… with the bringing ON of such harm… in the FIRST place? THAT… is my point. (Hey, how did you do that “line-through” thing?

SJ “said” - Please... tell me, Teejay, dear... how would YOU stop bad things from happening? And please don't say, "Put all the bad people on an island." 'Cause sooner or later... they'd find their way back...
    And TJ "said" - I think the issue is not: what would teejay do to stop the evil from happening; but: why isn't god doing anything to stop evil from happening. That, to me, is a much better question.

And to ME… it is THE most HYPOCRITICAL question we can ask. Which is my POINT, too! You, we, cannot answer what WE would do – all we can DO… is concern ourselves with what GOD does and doesn’t do? How is that? And, again, what would YOU... have HIM... do? But t his is the entire “RAFTER/straw” thing, isn’t it, Teej, right here, in a nutshell? And we’re DAMN GOOD at it, too, aren’t we? Why IS that?

SJ “said” - May I ask you: What is right? What was Abraham pleading for and what was the OUTCOME of that "debate"?
    TJ "said" - As far as I can tell, Abraham was pleading for god to not allow the two angels to murder innocent people.

Innocent?! They wanted to RAPE ANGELS!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL! And women were OFFERED to them, which women they rejected! Either way... women OR angels... they had a PROBLEM! You can't see that?!

You tell me... what do YOU think Abraham was pleading for?

Abraham could not believe that everyone in those cities were “corrupt”. He just couldn’t. His mind said that Lot and his family were there, so surely there were others like them. ‘Cause who was Lot hanging out with, if there weren’t? And it would seem that there WERE… ‘cause Lot’s daughters had husbands (”fiancés”?)… who were INVITED to go along. Counting Lot, his two daughters, his wife, and the "fiances"... that made at least five "righteous" people right there, yes? But... the "deal"... was for TEN. God said that if there were TEN... He would save the city. And there weren't even ten. Even the fiances CHOSE… to stay behind. Thought “old” Lot… was a “fool”. Yes?

Genesis 19:12-14

(Wait, Teej, can’t you just see ‘em today? ---> “Go on ‘wit ‘dat, ‘ol man… we ain’t tryin’ to hear nuthin’ ‘bout no fire and sulpha’. Man, you’s ta-rippin’… talkin’ ‘bout God and all ‘dat. I’m ‘bout to blow it UP!! Hizzup to the cri-zeezy, cop the “bling-bling”, pick up my sho’ty in the Escalade, and run by my dawg Snoop’s for an 8-ball and a blunt!!!)

LOLOLOLOLOL! And y our daughter’s HOW old now, dear Teej? LOLOLOLOLOLOL! Oh, yeah, you just wait…

And what is YOUR definition of "right"?

Not completely ignoring that you didn't answer when I asked YOU...

I would say that "right"... is w hatever comes into existence… whether it be action or an item… due to, by means of, or as the result of... love, joy, peace, faith, goodness, kindness, mildness, patience or self-control. And I think my Lord would agree, that s uch things are ALWAYS right… for there is no “law” against such things.

With all of that said, I wish you the GREATEST of love and peace to you, dear Teejay, my brother!!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SJ

• teejay
    teejay

Hi again, Shelby. Hope all is well in your world.

You defined faith as

You are CERTAIN that you WILL... RECEIVE... what you have HOPED for...

Based on that definition, I guess that is as good an explanation as any as to why I have little (no) faith. I have no problem that you are certain but, tellya the truth, I'm nowhere close to "certain" about what god is supposedly gonna do in the future ... considering that there's zero proof of him doing anything for thousands of years back into the known (provable) past.

We will just have to disagree over the matter of Cain but I have no problem with that. You place a great deal of emphasis on what Matthew said 4,000 years after the fact. You have also made much of the "fact" that Cain was "unclean." This, despite the fact that the Law – with its designation of personal/spiritual cleanliness when offering sacrifices – was then some 2,500 years into the future. In order to excuse / explain god's treatment of Cain one HAS TO make these leaps of logic. Otherwise, you'd have to do what I do: just go with what's written and doing that puts god in a very bad light at times.

How it was that Cain was subject to a law that hadn't been written and rebuked for not loving someone (Jesus) who was thousands of years from being born will continue to befuddle me, but... yeah, I know... I know: I lack faith.

All I know for sure is that ACCORDING TO GENESIS god didn't make it clear to Cain he'd done something wrong until after the fact, and even then god didn't explain himself well or demonstrate an ounce of fairness. One can only assume that god did explain and Cain was simply disobedient, but then those are only assumptions that you and others all-too-easily make. Cool.

Last, I know you think you already know but FWIW: I realize that my daughter will do things in the future that I don't approve of. It doesn't matter how many fathers you know or how many children you have. I know my daughter will do things to displease me. However, you missed the point in my saying to you that your comparing her marrying a thug to what happened in the matter of Cain was an illogical, inappropriate analogy that is totally offbase.

If I said to Daughter: make me a birthday present and she then did her best (although not what I was personally expecting), I would not be unhappy with her, WHATEVER IT WAS. That is nowhere near to the thought you expressed of her hooking up with a thug.

I know you'll never see this but every now and then... just like everyone else... at times you are mistaken, whether your Father talks to you or not. Then again, the very fact that your god speaks to you might very well explain the source of some of your errors. Just a thought.

Be well, my Sistah and friend.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Teejay... peace to you... and I have to ask you:

We will just have to disagree over the matter of Cain but I have no problem with that. You place a great deal of emphasis on what Matthew said 4,000 years after the fact. You have also made much of the "fact" that Cain was "unclean." This, despite the fact that the Law – with its designation of personal/spiritual cleanliness when offering sacrifices – was then some 2,500 years into the future. In order to excuse / explain god's treatment of Cain one HAS TO make these leaps of logic. Otherwise, you'd have to do what I do: just go with what's written and doing that puts god in a very bad light at times.

If the Law was not in effect until it was written, what "great badness" and "'sin' against God" was Joseph speaking of when responding to Potiphar's wife? What "law" would HE have been breaking? Just so you know... the Law was written 400-500 years AFTER Joseph ruled under Pharaoh. Yet, he knew what "sin" was.

Genesis 39:9

If there was no Law, what great badness did the people of Sodom and Gomorrah commit? What error did Ham commit?

And if Christ came 4,000 years later, what "Christ" was it whose reproach was esteemed by Moses as riches FAR greater than the treasures of Pharah? What "Christ" did the Israelites drink from?

Hebrews 11:26; 1 Corinthians 10:3

My Lord knows... I HATE this, Teejay... that you and so many others have been SO misled! Misled into believing that the Law did not exist until it was handed down at Sinai... and that Christ did not exist until he born to Mary. I am truly sorry for that... and I HATE it. Why? First, because it leads people exactly where the Adversary wants them: AWAY from God. And second, because such misleading is the basis for you LACK... of faith: you were not told the TRUTH... about God OR Christ... so that the "evidence" YOU seek... does not exist. If, however, you would seek God as HE has asked you to... through CHRIST... then you would truly FIND Him. The evidence... is ABUNDANT.

True, that "gate" IS narrow, and that road cramped... and few find it. On the other hand... few truly LOOK for it. For the PREFER... the broad and spacious road... the one everyone SAYS to take... or no road at all. Whose fault is it, then, if one does not reach one's true destiny?

As for your daughter, dear one... I still believe that if you have give her some instruction, which you KNOW she is old enough to understand, appreciate and adhere to... and goes off and does her own thing, in complete disregard for what you have instructed her... you are NOT gonna be so "pleased"... when she brings you a gift. True, you will over you disappointment; God got over His with Cain and actually PROTECTED him, yes? But... He didn't approve of him.

Loving someone... and approving of them... is not always the same thing, Teejay.

(I must say that I find it FASCINATING that you defend Cain... a killer, who KILLED his brother - but have no words for Abel. You can blame God for Cain's wicked act... but not Cain, at all, FOR the act - fascinating!).

Nor will you be so pleased with her "gift" if you KNEW she wanted her little brother dead... not just wanted it, but would DO if she could get away with it... and yet, was standing in YOUR face... smiling sweetly... like she was the best child ever. Not if you KNEW better. You would NOT quietly accept her gift and say, "Well, she's got a black heart... but she loves ME - looky what she gave me..." Instead, you are gonna say to her, "Sweetheart, I can't accept that. Now, maybe you MEAN well, but YOU... got a problem. And if you don't get a grip, it's gonna overtake you. So, go fix your problem, and THEN come back and let me see what you've got."

And then again... maybe you wouldn't. Truly, I do not know.

My love and wish for peace remains, Teejay... as does my position and my points.

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SJ

• teejay
    teejay
    If the Law was not in effect until it was written, what "great badness" and "'sin' against God" was Joseph speaking of when responding to Potiphar's wife? What "law" would HE have been breaking? Just so you know... the Law was written 400-500 years AFTER Joseph ruled under Pharaoh. Yet, he knew what "sin" was.

Shelby,

First, please do me a huge favor and remember that I was, at one time, an avid student of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. I studied it for many many years. You perhaps forgot that? Comments like "just so you know... the Law was written..." aren't really necessary. Just so you know. Now, to your question...

Again, IMO you've posed yet another substandard analogy and I'll tell you why. Repeating: god told Cain to bring an offer. Cain did. Had it been explained to him what an acceptable offering was? not according to WHAT'S WRITTEN. It is quite possible to think, BASED ON WHAT'S WRITTEN, that Cain thought his offer of the first fruits would be acceptable to god. It's not as though Cain had a frame of reference going back generations that would have given him a clue as to what an acceptable offering to such a divinity consisted of. Cain was one of the first two humans BORN on this earth (supposedly). And remember, too: the inclination of his heart was not commented on IN THE SCRIPTURES until god made his bold announcement – favoring Abel over his brother.

OTOH, whether or not Joseph knew of his god's thoughts with respect to adultery, Joseph probably had a clue that sleeping with another man's wife was wrong based on, if nothing else, human law and penalties. Particularly is that so when the man is question was such an important official. Joseph was afraid for his life and his fear likely had nothing to do with an unseen god.

If there was no Law, what great badness did the people of Sodom and Gomorrah commit?

The same error that Jehovah made known to them. He did make known their error before killing them, didn't he?

As for your daughter, dear one... I still believe that if you have give her some instruction, which you KNOW she is old enough to understand, appreciate and adhere to... and goes off and does her own thing, in complete disregard for what you have instructed her... you are NOT gonna be so "pleased"... when she brings you a gift.

That's not what I said – a point you continually miss. I said that if I asked my daughter to go and do her best AND SHE DOES, I will not be displeased with her. Why is that concept so hard for you to understand?

True, you will over you disappointment; God got over His with Cain and actually PROTECTED him, yes? But... He didn't approve of him.

Yes. I know. I already told you that my love for my daughter was superior to the love god has for his children. You make my point quite well.

You can blame God for Cain's wicked act... but not Cain, at all, FOR the act - fascinating!

When did I blame god for Cain's act? Could you show me where I did, please?

All I said is that god, because of his heartless favoritism, played a part in what followed. And after Cain seemingly tried to please his god! The anger that god's mistreatment of him engendered led to a spiraling down of consequences – consequences that cannot be totally removed from god's bloody hand. Speaking of which...

It IS interesting, as you say, that "God ... actually PROTECTED [Cain]." I find that VERY fascinating. Don't you? After all, Cain was a murderer, right? Why did god, the ultimate arbiter of universal justice, protect someone who should have been put to death?

My theory? God felt guilty for the role he had played in Abel's death! Think about it.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Dictionary.com Definition of "Faith" -- SixOfNine and Rem, please notice Definition Number 4:

1: Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.
    2: Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. See Synonyms at belief. See Synonyms at trust.
    3: Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters.
    4: often Faith Christianity. The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.
    5: The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.
    6: A set of principles or beliefs.

And, SixOfNine, please check a Dictionary before you accuse someone of being a liar.

By accusing DJ of lying, you yourself have been proven the liar by Dictionary.com.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Aguest, God 'created' chaos? Please in explain your reasoning very briefly when the scriptures say he is a God of order. Please, no spin.

Guest 77

• AGuest
    AGuest

Again, dear Teejay... it is YOU who miss the point (peace to you!) - YOUR points are INVALID because:

1. WHERE does it say that God TOLD Cain OR Abel to BRING... ANYTHING as an offering? You have made an ASSUMPTION... the same as you believe you are in the "right" when chiding me for doing so.

2. If Joseph was following HUMAN laws... why did he say it would be a sin "against GOD"?

I think that if we stayed on the same subject, we could most probably clear this up. YOU... are attributing something to God that you ASSUME, whereas I responded directly to YOUR statement (re your daughter's gift). Then you complete disregard what one SAID about the nature of the error if he committed it... and put it into "man's thoughts".

Your superior "knowledge" of the NWT... leaves something to be desired, Teejay.

A slave of Christ,

SJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit