Do old time present day active JW`s genuinely believe in overlapping generations ?

by smiddy3 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• waton
    waton

Active jws? Seniors? Average age here ~ 85, not afraid to die, happy, not caring about generations overlapping or not. They feel now, that the resurrection route into paradise is a less perilous one than the survival hope, previously taught with such certainty by way of 1914 calculations.

young ones, average age ~ 25, Ms, Elders, aspirants, these are oblivious, dismissive of these doctrinal problems of the older generation. They cant wait for "this generation" with their weird ideas to pass away. (not to mention to get hold of the personal inheritances (that wtBtS INC, likes to , and has seized).

re: David Splane, he of course was a young Turk once too, ready to forward exotic "spiritual" ideas. Now, tasked with propping up the rickety skeleton of the base-less wt's, doctrinal inheritance.

fact: Jesus said this generation will not pass away. Splane said it will pass away, at the onset of the Great Tribulation. this from waton, who does not depend on any of it, [un]like the 2 groups above.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The overlapping generation doctrine was concocted to uphold the 1914 doctrine, both do not have scriptural backing, but since this religion has based itself at its core by the 1914 doctrine, there had to be something to support both.

Only when it was realized that nothing had happened in the time frame by this generation from 1914 ie. everyone died off, the top GB leaders were pressed to come up with an answer and explanation.

Why didn't any other of the hundreds of Christian based faith say something about 1914 ?

Because its not scripturaly supported therefore a false teaching.

The Watchtower Corporation and its GB leaders have very much acted as a false prophet since its beginning as a religious publishing house.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    smiddy3 - "Do old time present day active JWs genuinely believe in overlapping generations?"

'Course they do.

They're required to.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Let's be honest, how many of us even understood the 1914 thing when we were in? I couldn't explain it in laymans terms and I believed it at the time.

I think nowadays they believe it because the GB believe it, and they think everybody else does so they go along with it.

It's a case of the emperor's new clothes.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

We asked our family this exact thing. Response: Crickets!!!

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    First of all, 95% of JWs do NOT know what they believe!Just ask them how they arrive at 1914 from 607BC (don't even bother getting into the fact that 607 is erroneous).Or ask them if Jesus is their Mediator?OR ask them what is a blood fraction?

Completely agree. In my own family i see that they don't really know what is the official position of the Watchtower or how to explain it. And to be fair, when I was still in, i didn't know either. I didn't know how to explain 1914 or about blood fractions. JWs don't get in the "weeds" of doctrine.

If you ask a typical JW why they think they are the truth, they will simply say things about not participating in wars, about using God's name, about staying out of wordly things, about not believing in the trinity and other doctrines

I've asked my family about 1914 and the answer is usually something like... "oh yea, there is a book that explains that".

• Ding
    Ding

They don't understand it because it's incomprehensible.

They are just grateful that the GB understands it (or so they think).

Meanwhile, they "know" Armageddon is just around the corner.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

They don't need to know deep doctrine, it's a social club. A place for the misfits to fit in.

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

Speaking for me in over 40 years, no I do not! EMPHATIC NO! This generation, means this generation of Jesus' day even though we are seeing a major part of the earth starting to deteriorate, oceans, air, water systems...

Even scientists today are saying by 2020 life will be in imminent danger.. There is no Earth 2.

With all the de-regulations going into effect, what really will be for the young ones to have to live...the massive storms sweeping in to take valuable farmlands, mass fish kills for no? reason...… the list goes on -

Mene Mene Tekel Parsin - could be spelled wrong. There is no bright horizon and I am mostly a positive person, believe it or not.

DOC- I believe Jesus died for the world of mankind - not the wicked who too, seem to be listed as a resurrection of both righteous and unrighteous I do know about the "blood fractions".... and Yes! the brain drain at the halls is right on.... same old, same old... money, money, same scriptures, etc. (no growth)

Just at the newest, happiest, Be Bold assembly there were so many empty seats in the aged sections now, vs just last years 3 dayer...that is money they will no longer be able to bank on, needing new converts to fill the bank...

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

Do old time present day active JWs genuinely believe in overlapping generations?

No they do not because the WT does not teach overlapping “generations”. They still adhere to the doctrine of “ONE” generation, but now the actual meaning of Jesus words “this generation” is no longer, “beyond question, that which takes a ‘generation’ in the ordinary sense”, but has now been stretched to include ‘anointed Christians’ born anywhere from the 1880s to the 1960s, so long as the latter overlap with the former while they where anointed.

It’s not incomprehensible, it's really quite simple, just total nonsense.

Last year I had a conversation with an ‘anointed’ witness who I have known since the early 1970s, and he claims he can clearly see the logic of this new understanding. Whether he actually believed that deep down, or was just paying lip service for my benefit I cannot say, but he seemed to genuinely accept it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit