Do old time present day active JW`s genuinely believe in overlapping generations ?

by smiddy3 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

For the life of me I can not come to terms with old timers in the "truth" who could swallow this interpretation of scripture about an overlapping generation .

When Jesus spoke about "this generation"

Are their any real Bible students among younger ones any more ?

Here are 3 Bible Scriptures that confirm a generation is approximately 40- 50 years long give or take a few years .

1. Matt:1 :17 Abraham born 2016-18 BC Jesus born 2 BC Approx.

Therefore 2016 -18 years divided by 42 generations is approx. 48 years .

2.Luke 3:23 -38 ,again approximately 50 years .

3. Matt.24:34 , Jesus was about 30 years old when he made that prophecy ,his prophecy was fullfilled in AD 70 that means about 40 years .

Their is no indication or even a suggestion of any overlapping generation in any scripture in the Bible ,it is purely an invention of the WTB&TS to cover up their failed prophecy once again.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

My favourite: (Job 42:16) “After this Job lived for 140 years, and he saw his children and his grandchildren - four generations.” 140 divided by 4 = 35.

Two days after the announcement of the "overlapping generation," I was out on field service with an elderly Elder. I asked him, "Brother, do you understand how the overlapping generation works?" He simply said "No."

Nothing more was said.

• tiki
    tiki

You can't make sense out of nonsense......

• sir82
    sir82

No.

Not old-timers, new-timers, pioneers, elders, teenagers, little old blue-haired ladies - NOBODY buys it.

I am more and more convinced it is a modern-day "Shibboleth" test - if you can publicly assert that you fully accept and truly believe such unadulterated pure hogwash with a straight face, you must be "one of us" and can be trusted as a truly genuine JW.

• blondie
    blondie

jws learn to believe what they are told, at least publicly. Many do not want to look at the WTS doctrines too closely themselves and even more not to explain it to others.

jws even rewrite history (such as 1975 doctrine) to get back in their comfort zone. So even if you are right and your evidence in their own recent publications is a no brainer, they will run away saying lalala as they cover their ears.

A few ones with secret doubts find it like a pea under their mattress and finally have to find that pea and get rid of it to finally get some sleep.

"All of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not." Watchtower 2013 Nov 15 p.20

A moral is the lesson that a story teaches you. The Princess and the Pea is a fairytale that warns the reader about the dangers of jumping to conclusions without all the facts. This is shown through the illustration of the old queen who does not believe the sopping wet girl at the gate could be a princess.

I'm covering my ears like a kid
    When your words mean nothing, I go la la la

I'm turning up the volume when you speak

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

I have had 2. Different elders look at me puzzled when I told them the o.g. didn't make sense. It's no wonder, They have been conditioned to ignore the fact the watchtower hasn't got one bible prophecy right.

• careful
    careful

As for any questions on this point, you'll have to ask David Splane directly. No one else knows. It's amazing how he got this past the majority of the GB at the meeting(s) where they discussed it. It's evidence of how desperate they are to "deal with" this passage in Matthew.

Perhaps in the end someone on the GB just said, to use blondie's point, "Well, it doesn't really matter whether they understand it or not. They are so loyal that they'll just believe whatever they are told to believe."

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Actually the overlapping generation makes sense.

A generation is not a length.

And consider that they are spot on with the the "prophesy of iron and clay" pointing to Trump.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

First of all, 95% of JWs do NOT know what they believe!

Just ask them how they arrive at 1914 from 607BC (don't even bother getting into the fact that 607 is erroneous).

Or ask them if Jesus is their Mediator?

OR ask them what is a blood fraction?

For most JWs their cognitive dissonance kicks in when they face something in doctrine that threatens their warm and fuzzy feeling that they are "special' and will be of the 1/10th of 1% of mankind saved.

There has been a serious "brain drain" at the Kingdom Halls.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

There are just 2 meanings for generation in the gospels. Generation refers to one set of parents to the next or when preceded by the word "hutos", Greek for "this", invariably refers to the people then living ,i.e. those living contemporary with Christ.

There is no variation from this in all 4 gospels.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit