Do old time present day active JW`s genuinely believe in overlapping generations ?

by smiddy3 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

I always get an interesting reaction when I ask "how long after Jesus said this, did Jerusalem fall?" First their eyes go wide open. I say "It was only 37 years later. So the generation that Jesus was taking about, wasn't overlapping."

Way back when, the organization used to make a big thing about Christendom using the word Trinity. "The word Trinity is not in the Bible!" Obviously, they couldn't be following the bible. But what are they doing now? Using the word "overlapping" just like the others used "Trinity" to prove their version of teaching.

When you think about it, they have 3 overlapping generations and there are 3 in one. Three is a popular number I guess.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The Bible likes numbers such as :

3. How many occasions can you think of 3 being used ?

7. " '' 7 "

10. " " 10 "

12. " " 12 "

40. " " 40 "

70. " " 70 "

That`s all I can think of at the moment maybe their are a few more

Were the Bible writers in the practice of using Numerology ?.

Maybe this should be a thread all on its own

Sorry I got sidetracked off my own OP

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Back to topic there have been some interesting comments here.

I liked this one among others :

I cant think of a single dub, when posed the question "why are you the truth?" Would say "because Jesus chose us in 1919 ,if they really believed that then why don`t they try to defend that as one of their major priorities ?

Another one

My favourite: (Job 42:16) “After this Job lived for 140 years, and he saw his children and his grandchildren - four generations.” 140 divided by 4 = 35.

And Jehovah`s Witnesses are supposed to be Bible students .

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Bumped for the newbies who might like to comment ?

• Rivergang
    Rivergang
    Sounds a bit like the trinity - a sacred mystery that no human could possibly understand.
  • vienne
    vienne

I don't think 'overlapping generations' makes much sense. But I know some older witnesses who seem to believe it without understanding it.

To me it appears that the overlapping argument allow them another hundred years or so to play with.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

To me it appears that the overlapping argument allow them another hundred years or so to play with.

Nah! The Great Trib is "imminent"!

We are in the last minutes of the final day of the Last Days!

Image result for armageddon is right around the corner

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

The overlapping generation is a false doctrine because 1914 is a false doctrine.

You could say the entire doctrinal structure of the JWS is false and you would be right in doing so and would have the bible to back yourself up.

You know the bible and the words of Jesus Christ, not that he matters.

• waton
    waton
    My favourite: (Job 42:16) “After this Job lived for 140 years, and he saw his children and his grandchildren - four generations.” 140 divided by 4 = 35.

s3: It is interesting to note, that among the "partakers" the anointed heavies, the Brooklyn core, such a family idea of generation is absent.

Perhaps it is for this estrangement that they have chosen to make the generation of 1914 "the generation of the Anointed ones".

All these groups live concurrently anyway, and wt had the choice to pick 1) the general population, the condemned world, to die at Armageddon,

2) the [other] sheep that will never die

3) themselves, the partakers, who will join Jesus in heaven early before the GT to fight. now

Jesus said that "this generation will not pass away until all these things have occurred". so

it could not be the sheep, because they will never pass away.

it could not be the anointed, because they will have to pass away, early upwardly to be in time in heaven to train and then fight at Armageddon.the most important feature of the "all"

A nun just died r.i.p. who was 10 years old in 1914. having no overlapping descendants either.

the overlapping group fix is the least of wt's doctrinal problems.

• waton
    waton
    it could not be the anointed, because they will have to pass away, early upwardly to be in time in heaven to train and then fight at Armageddon.the most important feature of the "all"

to drive home that point, today's wt "study" had a picture*** of the early resurrected remnant swinging oversized metal ball rods to smash the nations, babies and all.

The anointed could not possibly be the generation that passes away from earth after they do that. split personalities perhaps?

Even if Armageddon comes as late as 2075, as David Splane indicated, the anointed have to be gone before the Great Tribulation starts. today's wt proves that.

*** see the thread " watch the Governing Body " by nbd.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit