Do you believe in God now?

by Ron1968 142 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aztec
    Aztec

Aargh! My brain has been tickled enough! I'm all atwitter! Typical American bitch that I am, logansrun, you misspelled many words and you need to repent...damn you! Ronnie, you need to read a bit more philosophy. I dare you!

~Aztec

• Ron1968
    Ron1968

Bradley,

Yesterday you said to jump in the discussion even though I didn't want to much. Now I made a post and you change your mind!!!

No, I am not getting into any heavy debates, but just wanted to hear some ideas from the board.

Ron

• Ron1968
    Ron1968

Aztec,

I actually did buy a book over the weekend called Science and Religion: Are they Compatible? It looks like a great book and I am going to start on it shortly.

Ron

• logansrun
    logansrun

Aztec, It's the thought that counts m'dear. Ron, I would be very suspicious of any book you but. Let Aztec pick your books, kay? hehe Bradley

• rem
    rem

To be fair, though ID is not a true scientific theory, at least people who believe in it actually accept that evolution happened. That's at least a step up from Creationism, right? They just don't agree on the mechanism. I can live with that as long as they realize they are putting their stock in a "god of the gaps" theory. Historically, all "god of the gaps" theories have been wrong.

rem

• onacruse
    onacruse

I believe in God. I used to believe in God because the Bible said so. Now, I believe in God based on ontological, cosmological, and teleological reasons. Though these arguments are essentially inductive philosophies (God's existence cannot, to my knowledge, be deduced), they nevertheless reflect the deep investigations of dozens of deeply thoughtful men over the span of many millenia. To summarily dismiss belief in God as an "unreasonable self-delusion" (not quoting anybody here) is the height of arrogance, and betrays a lack of investigation.

Imo nobody on this board has even come minutely close to providing convincing objective and demonstrable evidence that there is no God.

Craig

• rem
    rem

I believe in Unicorns. I used to believe in Unicorns because the Unicorn-Bible said so. Now, I believe in Unicorns based on ontological, cosmological, and teleological reasons. Though these arguments are essentially inductive philosophies (Unicorns' existence cannot, to my knowledge, be deduced), they nevertheless reflect the deep investigations of dozens of deeply thoughtful men over the span of many millenia. To summarily dismiss belief in Unicorns as an "unreasonable self-delusion" (not quoting anybody here) is the height of arrogance, and betrays a lack of investigation.

Imo nobody on this board has even come minutely close to providing convincing objective and demonstrable evidence that there are no Unicorns.

rem

(sorry, I couldn't resist!)

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Imo nobody on this board has even come minutely close to providing convincing objective and demonstrable evidence that there is no God.

True, but there has been a mountain of evidence presented to prove there is a god who cleverly pretends to not exist.

• larc
    larc

Craig,

Of course this subject has been discussed by great minds over the ages, and great minds have come to different conclusions. Some great minds like Thomas Aquinas and Saint Augustine believed in God. However, there equally intelligent men who did not believe, like Bertrum Russell.

So where does that leave us? Nowhere really. I don't chose to believe and you do. I can't prove there is no God, and you can't prove there is one.

Oh, and don't bring science into the subject. Science has nothing to say about the existence of God, or the nonexistence of God.

• onacruse
    onacruse

rem, touche! And your well-taken point is exactly why I don't demean anybody else's disbelief in God. As Clint Eastwood said in one of his Dirty Harry movies (I think): "A man's got to know his limitations." Or, in this case, "A man's got to know the limitations of his philosophy."

Six:

a mountain of evidence presented to prove there is a god who cleverly pretends to not exist.

I couldn't agree more. You well know that I've moved strongly over to that side of the discussion, and many people would probably tag me as an agnostic (for whatever such tags are worth). While I by no means pretend to "have it all figured out," (LOL) I do feel very strongly that this is more a matter of the heart than of the mind, and an issue that deserves more mutual respect than I've generally seen in this forum.

Respects to all,

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit