Has your life gotten better as an athiest/agnostic?

by StinkyPantz 153 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aztec
    Aztec

First of all, giving up an active belief in a god is incredibly liberating. It's given me the feeling of having real control over my life and being able to be proactive about it. I feel less like a puppet who's having it's strings pulled. While I doubt I will ever take the strong atheist position I am confident in my belief that there is no god or if there is it is a god who is ambivilent or even unconcious of our existence. I suppose this makes me more of an agnostic. Eh, labels...

I just think if I believed there is no life after death, I would be freaked out.

This doesn't bother me at all. This too has made me feel more free. It makes me value the time I have in this life. When I die I'll be unconcious and won't really care. I refuse to spend my life storing up favors with some invisible deity when I could be out enjoying what time I do have. Lest you think I have no moral compass, I am an extremly kind, empathetic person who goes out my way to help others.

I find organized religion morally repugnant. I respect people's right to believe whatever they wish but, most religions, not all, have agenda's and are a great cause of suffering. I was an almost straight A student and I nearly failed Biology due to Creationist brainwashing. Why? Religion. This was not a catastrophic event in my life but it's a small, anecdotal example of the power of religion.

~Aztec

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

Stinky, IM and is AIM? Yes. Oxnard Squish.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    I find organized religion morally repugnant. I respect people's right to believe whatever they wish but, most religions, not all, have agenda's and are a great cause of suffering.

I agree. My brother came up with the same conclusion, that they all have agendas. I think he's right. I notice some try to tell you how to vote, and what you should write your congressmen about. Um, WHERE in the Bible does it advocate any specific political faction? But yet Christians are primarily Conservative because it "goes hand in hand with Christianity." Bull....

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Aztec... good comments. Liberating? Definitely. Organized religion sucks? Definitely. Like your new avatar by the way. He's not trying to look like a little devil, is he?

• Ron1968
    Ron1968

I respect both views and it is a personal deal right? I mean no one should get too worked up over the subject in my opinion, but they do anyway.

Ron

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Um, WHERE in the Bible does it advocate any specific political faction?

Oh, it's all over the bible. Jesus rode on an ass. An ass is a donkey, right? So Jesus was all over the democratic donkey's back. He is clearly republican.

• Aztec
    Aztec
    Maybe I'm mis-reading everything, but I'm getting the impression that you atheists think we Christians are a bunch of dumb, irrational, un-educated hillbillies

Not at all! Some of my best friends are theists, most of them aren't Christians but they believe in a higher power of some sort. Most of them can back up their beliefs with solid, rational thought but, they haven't yet swayed me. I need solid, rational proof!

~Aztec

• Ron1968
    Ron1968

By the way, I think this topic ranks right behind abortion as far as hot and unsolveable topics go. There is always going to be debate!

Ron

• Aztec
    Aztec

DrW, that's my son in the pic. He's as liberated as they come..LOL! He's being the little hellion he is. I love that pic of him. Isn't he the cutest?

~Aztec

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Az, yeah I figured that was your son. I have seen a picture of him in a different thread. Very adorable! But my nieces are cuter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit