Has your life gotten better as an athiest/agnostic?

by StinkyPantz 153 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dedalus
    dedalus

Thanks, rem. It wasn't too pretentious, I hope. Guess I'm feeling "writerly" today, which is usually an invitation to myself to say something dumb.

This is a really good thread, five pages and no one has gone ballistic!

Since Aztec was off topic on the last page (), can I be off topic now and ask how you and your attractive engineer (?) girlfriend are doing?

Dedalus (happy that it's summertime and, incredibly, not raining in his little corner of New England today, and therefore slightly garrulous)

• rem
    rem

The little lady and I are doing quite well, thanks for asking. We went down to my 1st nephew's 1st birthday party yesterday. I think we had more fun with the toys than the kids did! haha

rem

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

Much happier here

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    When he understands why he doesn't believe in them then perhaps he will understand why we don't believe in his.

Oh, I understand why you don't believe in God. I just don't like the negative tone directed at those of us who do believe. It's not like Christians aren't educated about various topics. In our eyes, the Bible is the oldest book and it's never been proven wrong. Every prophecy in it has come true.

Besides, if you honestly believe that there is no God and no resurrection, then what do you have to gain by trying to convert me and show me these so called facts? Sounds to me like you're wasting time.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    After being thoroughly deceived by people into believing JW's have the absolute truth I vowed I would never believe people without doing research myself.

Why would you base anyhing, like the existance of God, on faith at all?

First of all, I was a Christian long before I encountered the JWs. And I only studied with them for a year.

And the first line I quoted seems to indicate you left with a bad taste in your mouth.

That could explain why I'm a believer and many of you are not. I don't have an axe to grind against Christianity based off one group that only makes up less than 0.01% of the population.

• rem
    rem
    It's not like Christians aren't educated about various topics. In our eyes, the Bible is the oldest book and it's never been proven wrong. Every prophecy in it has come true.

Umm... I guess you just proved that the average Christian isn't educated on various topics. Perhaps this is why the negative tone exists. Christians believe they are educated when they prove time and again that they are not.

Besides, if you honestly believe that there is no God and no resurrection, then what do you have to gain by trying to convert me and show me these so called facts? Sounds to me like you're wasting time.

Personally, not much except for the satisfaction of knowing that I've helped someone educate himself. I'm not looking for a supernatural reward. The discussion itself is entertaining to me... I love thinking and making people think. It's not a waste of my time at all.

rem

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    Umm... I guess you just proved that the average Christian isn't educated on various topics. Perhaps this is why the negative tone exists. Christians believe they are educated when they prove time and again that they are not.

Sorry. Some of us have better things to do than sit around, do research on every single little thing, and try to prove believers wrong on some message board. If that makes us Christians "uneducated," fine. Whatever.

• onacruse
    onacruse

I'm coming in very late here, but I must say:

Six:

One thing many of us ex-jws have, is full confidence that we really searched with all our hearts for god. Plus, we had that word "truth" pounded into our heads. Then we saw how the word "truth" had been so abused by the organization. So, many of us became keenly interested in the "truth" (accurate facts) about all the subjects we had been decieved about and believed we had the "truth"(opinions of ourselves and our religion) about.

Man, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Oxnard, I absolutely believed every word written in the Bible for almost all my life. And yes, it's true that much of my skepticism is a direct result of having been involved with a pseudo-Christian sub-group that seriously distorted many basic teachings of that Bible.

However, I've also come to see that many things the Bible teaches are simply not in accord with the majority of objective evidence now available. The Flood, the chronology of the origin of man, the canonicity of the Bible books themselves...

Now, this doesn't mean that I reject the Bible out-of-hand. Instead, it's as Six says; I'm now "keenly interested in the (real) truth."

Craig

• greven
    greven
    First of all, I was a Christian long before I encountered the JWs. And I only studied with them for a year.

And the first line I quoted seems to indicate you left with a bad taste in your mouth.

That could explain why I'm a believer and many of you are not. I don't have an axe to grind against Christianity based off one group that only makes up less than 0.01% of the population.

I really didn't leave with a bad taste in my mouth or an axe to grind against Christianity. When I left I considered myself a free christian, ie simply following Christ's teachings and (let me underline this:) there is nothing wrong with this. Much of what is contributed to Christ is morally sound and makes one a better person: for instance the Golden Rule.

When I left though, I was determined to find objective truth: how do I know there is a God? Is the bible reliable, inspired? etc etc. These are not details! An entire beliefsystem is constructed upon it, and a life adjusted to it. My queste for truth showed these to be uninspired, inconsistent and often plain wrong. That doesn't mean I toss the moral codes, mind you. It simply means I do not see the writings as God's but human.

Greven

• Myxomatosis
    Myxomatosis

Hello Greven

I'm a Christian (never been a JW) who is very interested in 'debating' let's start?

<<<After being thoroughly deceived by people into believing JW's have the absolute truth I vowed I would never believe people without doing research myself.>>>

sehr gut.

<<<<Why would you base anyhing, like the existance of God, on faith at all? I am not saying you are wrong. Your conclusion can be valid, but should be build upon solid research, get the facts, look upon the issue from various stances, hear pro and con and then make up your conclusion.>>>

Hmmmm, this is a big misunderstanding. There would be no faith without fact. At least in Christianity (and naturally, there is truth in EVERY religion, I would say as a Christian, but not always with regard to God (in 'monotheistic' religions), the Object :). There is the faith 'train' NUMBER ONE: FACT NUMBER TWO: FAITH NUMBER THREE: FEELING. I wouldn't have faith without fact. please. That's just a very poor understanding of faith, and no wonder, as far as I can surmise, the WT slanders Christians nonstop for their belief in 'FAITH' in Christ as the redemption. That IS what is true, it DOES NOT mean faith that is empty, based upon air, it is based absolutely on FACT, we have faith IN the FACTS. As for me, oh my, I hope this does not come off as tooting my horn or something, but just to let you know, more specifically, not just generally that I have checked out both sides (actually *the many many* sides) ,,,I've been on neo-pagan, atheist and the like websites (typing 'Pagans views on Christianity' in search engine, if you want to see what I mean) that listed off at least 20 'deities' or 'god's' all myths, that were the basis for the 'Christ-myth' reading all that was said, and being quite alarmed frankly at the time. I've also been on THE ex-Christian web, where it was much different from any of the ex-JW or wotever sites I'd been on looking up their beliefs, because on all the ex-JW, it was only highlighting the lies of the ORGANIZATION past and present, where on this website it was directly attacking GOD, JESUS CHRIST, and the BIBLE. Nothing I'd ever seen before. I did look at that, yes, truly, sorry have to say, the views of 'apostates' in the Bible (those who turn and teach against Jesus and God, not a false organization :) but I was determined to do it, since I did not wish to be a hypocrite, asking others, such as members of cults to check out what they believed, whilst refusing to do the same.

In regards to checking out not only anti-Christ views, and simply anti- 'Creator' I would say to you, I've read apologies for 'agnosticism' (mostly because my bro was claiming to be one at the time) I've read the 'basics of existialism' some 'Jean-Paul Sartre', I've read too many different persons ideas on WHY they DO NOT believe in God, all over, I've read 'A brief History of Time' (which I've found very useful as a Christian :) by the very Atheistic and brilliant Steven Hawkings, ummm, let me see, I went to public school where evolution is shoved down your throat from when you're a wee one. As well as further reading differing theories on evolution, watching programs on it, etc. etc. I don't think there's one person on earth today who doesn't have a working knowledge of the basics of evolution, simply by the fact that it is saturated in all manner of texts, t.v. programs etc.

I've read about Hinduism, Buddhism, Islaam, the major religions in the world, as well as the cults of Christianity, all because of my concern ABOUT MY BELIEFS, why do I believe this, why is it 'right'?. And I have no intention to stop reading about other faiths, other views, and in fact, anti-views. That had to be to me the most bothersome thing I found about the Watch Tower when I was learning about them, the seal on information, something I couldn't relate to being a Christian. Not even being able to accept literature from 'Christendom' whilst expecting them to not only accept but purchase their literature. (right?)

You must understand that to me, the very toughest and challenging of all of these were the accussations towards Christ.

Though, sadly, these accussations turned out to be quite devious and empty on further examination. If you wish me to explain please ask. I don't want to make this too long.

Again, very simple misunderstanding of Faith, and belief. You wouldn't deny yourself the claim that you are 'disbelieving' in God, or 'believing' in evolution or whatever, if it were not based on what you KNOW to be FACT, would you now? Or are you just as airheaded as us Christians, you know, just believing for no 'good reason'? I really wouldn't know where to start as to why I believe...Do you have any specific inquiries, and do you mind long winded responses? :) And also 'Faith' is a dynamic everyday quantity, not limited to the belief in the Creator.

<<<Some believe in fairies, others are convinced the Loch Ness monster exists. They do not become real because people believe in them. Do you believe in any of them? If not: why not? Try to find the reason why you do not believe in them and then you'll see why many people do not believe in God. --> Absense of evidence for, and plenty against.>>>>>

That's very good. I think the ultimate test for anything is not that it can be 'proven' but it CAN NOT be disproven. For example, people may be able to prove that something existed, unless there came along stronger evidence that not only nullified, but came to be the 'truth' about it. You can 'prove' with 'evidence' that bigfoot exists, but that can easily be disproven. Actually I don't know what I'm talking about it's very late, I hope this made sense, hope you read it even. :)

Myxomatosis

*happiness is a warm gun*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit