Has your life gotten better as an athiest/agnostic?

by StinkyPantz 153 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I am definitely happier as an atheist. Probably because as a JW I had to suppress my scientific side and teach how evolution is a joke. I always hated that. Also, as a JW, I was constantly on guard when talking to non-JWs... always looking for things they say that are out of line with WTS teachings so I could "educate" them.

I hated how religion made me so judgemental. And deep down I hated admitting that I was a JW... it was something I was embarrassed of.

Atheism is in-line with my scientific beliefs and personal observations.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Oxnard Hamster wrote:

: A happiness based on reality?

No, un-reality.

: The Bible is noted for its historical accuracy, and not just by JWs.

The Bhagavad-Gita is also noted for its historical accuracy by some. The questions are, by whom, and on what basis?

The Bible is certainly quite accurate in much of its historical data. But so what? So are historical novels, like the works of James Mitchener. Historical accuracy is necessary for it to be the Word of God, but is not sufficient.

Furthermore, unless one takes many liberties with the Biblical texts, one must stretch some of them virtually to unrecognizability in order not to conflict with known facts. Genesis is a case in point.

: I live in Kansas, and I've heard they have found shark bones around here. That means at one time, it had to be underwater(Noah's flood). \

Nonsense. No recent shark bones have been found in Kansas. If you think they have, then do provide references. "I've heard" is not sufficient. Fossil shark bones, and teeth such as from the 20-meter-long Megalodon, have been found in Kansas, but they are from the ancient Cretaceous period and are more than 65 million years old. Here's one reference: http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html?file=paleo/fauna/ks_cret.html&menu=bin/menu_fauna-alt.html

Your reference to Noah's Flood indicates that you're a Young-Earth Creationist and believe in so-called "flood geology" (do correct me if I'm wrong). But there is no evidence whatsoever in favor of "flood geology", and a gigantic amount of evidence against it. The "evidence" put forward by self-styled "flood geologists" like Henry Morris and George McCready Price is pure make-believe. Many good websites, and solid geology and other science books, show just where the claims of these people are grossly wrong. In many cases, not only are they wrong by accident, but by design.

: As for why God answers some prayers and ignores others, I can't answer that fully.

Nor can any other Bible believer. That's why ex-JWs like me put no stock in such claims. We've tried and tried to get responses from God, but to no avail. What are we? Chopped liver? And please don't put forth stock answers about this -- we've heard them all.

: I do know that Jesus did warn his followers that they would be persecuted and ridiculed. He never promised them a rich, American dream lifestyle.

Irrelevant to the question of why God appears to answer trivial prayers but demonstrably does nothing about important issues.

: Maybe the people who prayed to God and won the lottery was just chance.

Not "maybe".

: As for the concentration camps, the Nazis were eventually defeated and exposed at the Nuremberg(sp?) trials, were they not?

Yes? And of what benefit was that to the ten million people the Nazis directly killed?

"Lord, Lord, please save me!"

"Ok mon! I'll save some others in a few years after I've let you die. Aren't I special?"

AlanF

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

I'm certainly no expert on the Bible, theology, evolution, etc. I just know what I believe. I don't know how you could possibly be happy as an atheist knowing you are going to die and never be resurrected.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Ox-Ham-

Trust us, we're happy.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Agnostics are happy too, they keep all possibilities open.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Ballistic-

Actually I am agnostic. I don't know 100% either way.

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

Absolutely ...........

So glad to be out of there, and NEVER going back ..........

I agree with you stinky, if there is a GOD, and if I am that bad of a person, then destroy me, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. But if I am not that bad of a person, then his wisdom should show through.

• ballistic
    ballistic

God, yes, I'm so glad. And there may be a God, I hope so. But I am happy yes.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Oxnard wrote:

: I'm certainly no expert on the Bible, theology, evolution, etc. I just know what I believe.

Ok, that's cool.

: I don't know how you could possibly be happy as an atheist knowing you are going to die and never be resurrected.

Actually I'm an agnostic. I'm an agnostic because I can neither prove nor disprove the existence of some God or Supreme Being. I've tried both, and none of the attempts worked. I've tried to do what Jehovah's Witnesses and other Christians say one must do to be approved by God. No luck.

As for a resurrection, I have yet to see any evidence for such a thing. Therefore it would be silly for me to cling to such a belief. So to me, your statement is kind of like, "I don't know how you could possibly be happy as an atheist knowing you will never get Christmas presents from Santa Claus."

Evidence, man, evidence! That's where it's at. No amount of wishful thinking will change reality, and no amount of sincere believing will turn pipe dreams into resurrected flesh.

AlanF

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    I don't know how you could possibly be happy as an atheist knowing you are going to die and never be resurrected.

Well, then life is about what we do now, not about what we hope for. That seems to make life a bit better as to marriage, etc. You aren't pining for anything unrealised, but for what you yourself can accomplish.

AlanF Said:

Evidence, man, evidence! That's where it's at. No amount of wishful thinking will change reality, and no amount of sincere believing will turn pipe dreams into resurrected flesh.

Man, have you got my number. Agree totally.

ash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit