Has your life gotten better as an athiest/agnostic?

by StinkyPantz 153 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ron1968
    Ron1968

Bradley,

Remember the last time that happened? I am just going to watch this time. LOL

Ron

• logansrun
    logansrun

Ron,

I find it a tad curious that you are asking the board if they are theists or atheists...yet....you refuse to get involved or state an opinion yourself! Why? Just go with the flow. No one is going to come over to your apartment and chop off your penis or anything. Debate. Learn. It's healthy.

Bradley

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

logansrun - Sorry, but I think that is a ridiculous question. You know I believe in both God and the afterlife, and you are making me choose just to prove my beliefs are silly.

If you all want to think I'm nuts because I still believe in God, fine. But I am getting the impression that some of you left the JWs with a bitter taste in your mouth. You can't let a group of people who take everything from some magazine, published by people who are self proclaimed faithful and discreet slaves, sway how you believe.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Ox-Ham-

If you all want to think I'm nuts because I still believe in God, fine.

Most people on this board agree with you. This particular thread tho, is directed towards athiests.

But I am getting the impression that some of you left the JWs with a bitter taste in your mouth.

Some of us did, but that has nothing to do with "God".

You can't let a group of people who take everything from some magazine, published by people who are self proclaimed faithful and discreet slaves, sway how you believe.
    Oh please! Give us some credit! We can differentiate between a religion and "god". Must of us have researched various topics, (evolution etc) have you? We have seen both sides, and we are happier on this one.
  • logansrun
    logansrun

Oxford,

logansrun - Sorry, but I think that is a ridiculous question.

I said it was hypothetical. What's so ridiculous about that?

You know I believe in both God and the afterlife, and you are making me choose just to prove my beliefs are silly.

And you wouldn't dare talk about it because you feel they might be?

If you all want to think I'm nuts because I still believe in God, fine.

I don't think you're "nuts" for believeing in God.

But I am getting the impression that some of you left the JWs with a bitter taste in your mouth. You can't let a group of people who take everything from some magazine, published by people who are self proclaimed faithful and discreet slaves, sway how you believe.

Hmmm. Let's replace your last sentence with a few words and see how different it is from what you just said:

You can't let a group of people who take everything from the Bible, published by people who are self proclaimed prophets, sway how you believe.

Yeah, that's it

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    What's so ridiculous about that?

It's ridiculous in the sense that no matter which choice I pick, I'm giving you atheists a huge opening to attack my beliefs. Sorry, not going to happen. Therefore, I refuse to answer.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I don't know how you could possibly be happy as an atheist knowing you are going to die and never be resurrected.

Fearing death is not a good reason to believe in life after death. If I am to believe in an afterlife, I want proof. I don't want to believe it just because I'm scared of nothing after death.

I'm very happy with having a meaningful contribution to humanity in the life time that I know exists.

If there is life after death, cool. If not, whatever. I won't realize I'm not alive so it doesn't matter.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    Fearing death is not a good reason to believe in life after death.

I never said that was the reason. I believe in life after death because I believe in God. I just think if I believed there is no life after death, I would be freaked out.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I never said that was the reason.

I just meant *I* wouldn't believe in life after death simply because I was afraid of death. I didn't mean to imply that's what you were doing.

I believe in life after death because I believe in God. I just think if I believed there is no life after death, I would be freaked out.

Yeah, I can understand that. Most people do not want to die. I don't want to die. But I see no evidence of an afterlife, so I have a really hard time believing in it.

By the way, you responded incredibly quickly to my message.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    By the way, you responded incredibly quickly to my message.

What can I say? I have no life.

Stinky - Why not? I feel as if God has been protecting me. I've gotten out of some scrapes with relatively little damage when there should have been more dire consequences. I just don't see how Earth could exist without a God. If we were any nearer or further away from the sun, we couldn't exist. If the axis wasn't titled the way it is, we couldn't exist.

I've taken astronomy. What I learned in there only backs up my beliefs. Sorry, but all this research on scientific proof isn't enough to sway me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit