Has your life gotten better as an athiest/agnostic?

by StinkyPantz 153 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    I'm an agnostic because I can neither prove nor disprove the existence of some God or Supreme Being.

So you are saying you believe it's possible he does exist? That's good.

As for a resurrection, I have yet to see any evidence for such a thing. Therefore it would be silly for me to cling to such a belief. So to me, your statement is kind of like, "I don't know how you could possibly be happy as an atheist knowing you will never get Christmas presents from Santa Claus."

Um, that's a bad analogy. Not getting presents and only living on earth for 70+ odd years are completely different things. I could care less about getting presents on Christmas. But the thought of not having any life after our short existence on Earth scares the heck outta me. I don't know how you all can brush it off like it's nothing.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    But the thought of not having any life after our short existence on Earth scares the heck outta me. I don't know how you all can brush it off like it's nothing

I don't know, Hammy. To me, it frees up the here and now. I saw no end of problems when it came to religion, with my parents. But, with me and my wife, we have no such problems. The NOW is about us, and about the love we have for each other. If I do worhsip a god, it's the love I have in my heart, and how I use it to help people. If there is a material God, then He will look at the love in my heart and 'forgive me' for any disbelief in Him because of my past JW history. That about sums it up for me.

ash

• MrMoe
    MrMoe
    The NOW is about us, and about the love we have for each other.

Awwwwwwww You two are such an amazing couple

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I don't know how you all can brush it off like it's nothing.

Because it is nothing, for all intent and purpose. You say the thought of "not having any life after our short existence on Earth scares the heck outta me." Ok. Now what? Are you going to stay scared? I didn't, what would be the point?

You almost seem to be saying that you can force an afterlife by believing in one hard enough. My mind just doesn't play that sort of game. If there is an afterlife, it exist whether I believe in it or not. I'm a good guy, I'll get whatever it is that good guys get when they die.

Six~ use my body to grow amazing roses! class

• logansrun
    logansrun

Oxnard,

Let me ask you a hypothetical question:

If you had your choice of everlasting life with no God

or

No such thing as a ressurrection, but God exists...

Which would you choose?

Bradley

• Ron1968
    Ron1968

I refuse to get into a debate over theism or athiesm, but I do wonder if we were to take a poll what the stats would read. I know stats aren't always accurate, but it would give me an idea about what ex-jw's think on this.

Ron

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Ron-

I do wonder if we were to take a poll what the stats would read.

A poll on what? How many here are thiest or athiest?

• logansrun
    logansrun

Ron,

I refuse to get into a debate over theism or athiesm

Why?

Bradley

• Ron1968
    Ron1968

Yes Stinky...

In fact I just asked the question to the board. I am curious as to how people's feelings on whether there is a higher power or not.

Ron

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Logan-

Athiests are notoriously rude and intolerant, that's why! Geez!

You're cute btw.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit