Has your life gotten better as an athiest/agnostic?

by StinkyPantz 153 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

don't make me pull out my Stephen Hawkings book...

• logansrun
    logansrun
    The Bible is noted for its historical accuracy, and not just by JWs. I live in Kansas, and I've heard they have found shark bones around here. That means at one time, it had to be underwater(Noah's flood).

Oh lordie.

B

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    That means at one time, it had to be underwater(Noah's flood).

lol... You have some studying to do!

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

I'm getting the impression that this forum is predominately atheist. Am I correct?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Oxnard --

Of course each is free to feel as he/she believes, and we all leave the JW ideology at various rates. I don't blame you for currently clinging to belief in the Noachian flood. But keep an open mind. Through further study and thought, you may arrive at conclusions you once thought unthinkable! (I know I have!!)

• MrMoe
  • Gopher
    Gopher
    I'm getting the impression that this forum is predominately atheist. Am I correct?

We're all over the map on this board. There are believers, doubters and atheists. The main thing is that we're free to think and reach conclusions without having our morality doubted!

• ballistic
    ballistic

Just wanted to sign in to say that while leaving was traumatic and recovering a slow process the net result is a DEFINATE YES. My life has improved no end and I am a different person. Perhaps another good question is, "have you changed since leaving the borg".

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

And no, it is not all athiests... lots of different types of folks here.

Just make sure of one thing. You were tricked before, so before you go and blindly believe things, do as much as research as posible. Read the bible, see if there are inconsistencies... there are, lots of them...

http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/mvz/bible/bible-inconsistencies.pdf

And here are some bibilical inconsistencies

Genesis 1:3-5 On the first day, God created light, then separated light and darkness.
    Genesis 1:14-19 The sun wasn't created until the fourth day.

Genesis 1:20-21, 26-27 Birds were created before man was created.
    Genesis 2:7, 19 Man was created before birds were created.
    Genesis 1:11-12, 26-27 Trees were created before man was created.
    Genesis 2:4-9 Man was created before trees were created.
    Genesis 1:24-27 Animals were created before man was created.
    Genesis 2:7, 19 Man was created before animals were created.
    Genesis 6:4 There were Nephilim (giants) before the Flood.
    Genesis 7:21 All creatures other than Noah and his clan were annihilated by the Flood.
    Numbers 13:33 There were Nephilim after the Flood.

Genesis 16:15, 21:1-3, GA 4:22 Abraham had two sons, Ishmael and Isaac.
    Hebrews 11:17 Abraham had only one son. Acts 9:7 Those present at Paul's conversion stood.
    Acts 26:14 They fell to the ground.

Acts 9:7 Those present at Paul's conversion heard the voice but saw no one.
    Acts 22:9 They saw a light but did not hear a voice.
    John 5:31 Jesus says that if he bears witness to himself, his testimony is not true.
    John 8:14 Jesus says that even if he bears witness to himself, his testimony is true.
    above taken from here
  • SixofNine
    SixofNine

I doubt if it is "predominately" atheist. Maybe 30%? I don't know.

One thing many of us ex-jws have, is full confidence that we really searched with all our hearts for god. Plus, we had that word "truth" pounded into our heads. Then we saw how the word "truth" had been so abused by the organization. So, many of us became keenly interested in the "truth" (accurate facts) about all the subjects we had been decieved about and believed we had the "truth"(opinions of ourselves and our religion) about.

It only makes sense that we would widen the scope of that examination beyond just Jehovah's Witness stuff. I don't believe in Santa Clause either.

I quickly came to realize that the earth was not submerged in water a short 3600 years ago. No way, no how. Innocently enough, it was a Time magazine article on lake varves (do a search) that really got me thinking about it all.

I did however, once hear a Sole that I caught clicking it's heels together and panting desperately to the other fish, "we're not in Kansas anymore!".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit