On respect for the belief of others. Sorry for the long post

by StarTrekAngel 372 Replies latest watchtower bible

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    TheRebel: Some posters must write from the heart, and they should be at liberty to do so. They cannot do that if the ideas from the heart are crushed without sensitivity.

By saying "from the heart", I understand that you mean "from an emotional place". Correct me if I am wrong, please. But, for the sake of this discussion...I am going to go with that.

I think that this is a fundamental issue on this thread - emotion vs. rationality.

Anytime that somebody puts "beliefs" out there to be discussed, the discussion is invariably emotional - it can't help but be that, because beliefs are based upon emotion, not rationality.

As far as "respect" of belief goes, I cannot respect a belief that is harmful to others. I measure belief on the actions that it produces.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Personally I think we should all get back to exploring the shape of David Splane's head.......

Edit: sorry I chucked that in without reading the posts...(backs out looking shifty & embarassed)

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

A further comment to my previous post which was:-

" some posters must write from the heart, and they should be at liberty to do do. They cannot do that if t he ideas from the heart are crushed without sensitivity."

My additional comment is, I was of the assumption Simon started this forum to help people out of a " CULT" and i in my case " EdenOnes" posts gave me that help. So in my life "EdenOne" represented what this forum is about, giving people the help, support and determination to live a life outside the Watchtoer. I also think this forum can subtract from its origional purpose when threads become devoid of that intent.

The Rebel.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I think that this is a fundamental issue on this thread - emotion vs. rationality.

I don't know if that is true. For instance, if someone I work with came to me with a question, say "Hey Viv, take a look at this configuration for a computing system and the projected workload. Will this system meet the workload requirements?", I would then do some math. There are almost always things we don't know, things we can't plan or calculate for in exercises like this, so you have to used past experience, educated guesses, etc.. If, after looking at everything, compiling what we do know with the things we had to makes assumptions or best guesses for and doing the math, etc., would it be an emotional belief to say "I believe this design will be adequate"?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    There's a mix of people posting....can't get on with everyone. I can't be bothered to debate, some can. Meh, whatever. :)
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    The Rebel: My additional comment is, I was of the assumption Simon started this forum to help people out of a " CULT" and i in my case " EdenOnes" posts gave me that help. So in my life "EdenOne" represented what this forum is about, giving people the help, support and determination to live a life outside the Watchtoer. I also think this forum can subtract from its origional purpose when threads become devoid of that intent.

That is great that Eden's posts helped you. However, this forum is not just about you. Everybody here is at their own personal place in recovery and each poster will enter into conversations with feedback reflecting the place that they are at.

You cannot control how other posters respond to you and you cannot determine what other people need in order to cope and function with their cult exit.

What helps you may not help someone else, and what helps someone else may not help you. This is a community of diversity.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

What helps you may not help someone else, and what helps someone else may not help you. This is a community of diversity

Never pick a fight with a Crow!! LOL

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

viviane:

(Me)"I think that this is a fundamental issue on this thread - emotion vs. rationality."

I don't know if that is true. For instance, if someone I work with came to me with a question, say "Hey Viv, take a look at this configuration for a computing system and the projected workload. Will this system meet the workload requirements?", I would then do some math. There are almost always things we don't know, things we can't plan or calculate for in exercises like this, so you have to used past experience, educated guesses, etc.. If, after looking at everything, compiling what we do know with the things we had to makes assumptions or best guesses for and doing the math, etc., would it be an emotional belief to say "I believe this design will be adequate"?

That is a tough one, Viv. and this is something I have thought about this many times in the past. What is belief? What is knowledge? Is my "belief" rational?

In the above example that you give, Viv, I think that your belief would be emotional. Yes, it is based upon rational computations, but at the same time, the final "leap" would be emotional. Your rational assessment of the situation got you to the point that you could make a decision, but your final answer was a "belief", not something you "knew" without question.

*to add - maybe in your example, Viv, saying "I think this design would be accurate" would be a more accurate way to communicate what you mean. You don't really "believe" it is accurate...you "think" it is accurate.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

For the first time Viviane doesn't respond to my post.

Viviane in my opinion fighting about emotion v rationality is not why this forum exists. My opinion may be wrong but as I stated in far greater detail in my previous post, I was under the assumption Simon started this forum to help people in or get out of a cult. Any posts that subtract from that origional purpose are devoid of content.

The Rebel.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

It would be interesting if we had statistics, of those prominent posters like minimus, blondie, Viviane, Cofty & EdenOne. I wonder of those posters which have been most helpful in assisting Simons intended purpose with the forum, which is to my understanding help people through their Watchtower exsperience.

Anyway my vote goes to...

Number 3 . Blondie

Number 2 Minimus

Number one....( after the remission)

The Rebel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit