On respect for the belief of others. Sorry for the long post

by StarTrekAngel 372 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Viviane
    Viviane
    It's easy to part quote a sentence or paragraph and take it out of context.

It is. However, no one did that.

As this O.P is " On the respect of the beliefs of others..." Rather than go off topic, I will take some Dr Phill advice and not engage in any further perdantic details.

I've no idea what you're talking about.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Viviane " I've no idea what your talking about."

The Rebel ( A) what's new, you have had that problem with me, since our first communication.

Have a nice evening Viviane.

The Rebel.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Rebel never pick a fight with a women. It's a fight you are not going to win. I am married to one and have Fathered two more. LOL
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Viviane: It is. However, no one did that.

Actually, The Rebel quoted me as writing, "It's a common marketing maxim that 'perception is reality'" and completely missed the point, which was the exact opposite of the direction s/he ran with it.

I think that's the first time I've ever disagreed with you, Viv!

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I think that's the first time I've ever disagreed with you, Viv!

Fair enough. Allow me, kindly, to be more accurate. *I* didn't do that.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy
    I wonder if I have ever been guilty of being peRdantic ? as a lifelong pedant I must have come close.
  • EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I've only read to page 7 as I add this comment but have a feeling by page 34 probably still isn't resolved....

Viviane says,

If I am insulting someone, well, then we should address that specifically, but so far you've not shown a single example of that.

Eden shows several examples of that by saying, "since you insist"

Her reply....

I insisted on nothing....Since we've already seen you fallaciously suggest someone insisted on something, explain in detail why anyone should trust another word you say?...Why, in other words, should not every word you speak be treated as suspect since you've already lied and said I insisted on something?

The synonyms for 'insist' include: be resolute about, be emphatic about, be adamant about, not take no for an answer about; informalstick to one's guns about.

Viviane was clearly 'insisting' on examples of her insulting someone. Previously Eden said he would not look up old threads but her resolute stance, adamant reply on showing examples, then after Eden does it saying he's lying about it and her bullying him afterwards if he won't take it back.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Finally got to the end of this thread, and I was right, my last post wasn't resolved.

This comment though is about the intended topic of the thread and questions asked by people like cofty, etc, on respecting beliefs of others, what should be respected and to define how they should be respected. Here are my thoughts on that.

First, whether anybody likes it or not, on this forum those who believe in a higher power or afterlife and those who do not.

On respecting beliefs, one start would be to not hijack a thread from a group. If a believer starts a thread to discuss among believers, they are not inviting a debate or hijack to challenge their belief in a higher power or afterlife. So let them have their discussion. If the thread is about proof, debate, and trying to convert, etc, then that would invite debate. So bottom line, unless a thread is intended for debate, don't hijack it. Another example, if a believer in afterlife has a relative die and makes a thread about it and other believers are giving them comfort, no reason for somebody to try to prove there is no afterlife and it's dumb to believe that, etc. VS a thread that asks is there an afterlife or not, which would invite debate.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Eden shows several examples of that by saying, "since you insist"

Eden was being untruthful, so, no.

Viviane was clearly 'insisting' on examples of her insulting someone

And now you're being untruthful also.

If you don't want to be called untruthful, then don't be so.

The synonyms for 'insist' include: be resolute about, be emphatic about, be adamant about, not take no for an answer about; informalstick to one's guns about.

Exactly, both you and Eden were and are untruthful on this. So what?

• Simon
    Simon

Viviane. Respectfully, you are sometimes very tiresome. I'd appreciate if you tried not to be quite to acerbic.

(10 points to Gryffindor for use of the word :D)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit