On respect for the belief of others. Sorry for the long post

by StarTrekAngel 372 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Are people on this forum free to express themselves as they see fit?

Yes.

So long as this same member respects the boundaries of others and remains respectful and considerate toward his/her fellow collaborators on the board.

With all due respect to the members of this forum and Simon, how hard can it possibly be to express yourself with all sincerity and remain respectful and courteous? Is that asking for too much? By doing this; wouldn't this lead to further constructive commentary and discussion?

On a personal note, I no longer am willing to engage anyone who clearly demonstrates being argumentative and desires not to add something of substance but rather to prove themselves correct in a very condescending manner.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I would love to have one of the GB members come here. I hope we

all could respect his belief, no name calling, no asking are you out of your mind,

do you use drugs and etc. You think we could be respectful????

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

statTrekAngel, Thank you for that post.

A) I think that everyone has the right to share their opinion on a topic.

B) I think people should be tolerant and respectful of the poster and their opinion even if they don't necessarily agree with the content.

It should be noted that we have the opportunity to flag a moderator, when forum bullying or inappropriate comments are made. I am sure forum bullying is taken very seriously by the mods and any who continue in this behaviour, and do not adhere to forum guildlines about posting will be removed from the board.

The Rebel

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Who's been bullied?
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

Viviane: " who's been bullied?"

Good point. I would suggest the best way to answer that is for a poster who thinks they are being bullied to report it to the mods.

Why do I say this? Bottom line a forum has rules and forum members abide by those rules. To do anything less is to show disrespect to the majority of forum users. If a forum member is continuously breaking forum rules to gain satisfaction from provoking posters then upon a fair investigation by the mods I am sure appropriate action will be taken.

In fact we could report a person who we feel is deliberately provoking us, only to find out the rules are not being violated and the moderators do not share our viewpoint. Possibly due to conviction some posters can be over sensitive when challenged .To post is to assume our viewpoint will be challenged in debate. Therefore before entering a debate do you have the stuff to back up your opinion?

The Rebel.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I have been involved in a few discussions here about beliefs and opinions. And while I agree that people, not beliefs, warrant respect, and robust arguments (to use Cofty's term) may be brought forward to deconstruct beliefs of others and that is absolutely legit, there's a line that is often crossed, which I find unacceptable, which is to question or attack the person's integrity or intelligence because of some belief or opinion that is held. To say, in any form, "if you believe in Creationism you must be stupid" or "if you don't think the Bible is inspired of God, you're working for Satan", or "if you don't think I'm right in my argument, you're retarded", or something similar, is unacceptable. I stopped taking part in certain discussions in this forum because some people think they're entitled to insult others just because they feel they have reason on their side. I've decided that I have no time for such people nor do I want to become such person.

Eden

• cofty
    cofty
    To say, in any form, "if you believe in Creationism you must be stupid" or "if you don't think the Bible is inspired of God, you're working for Satan", or "if you don't think I'm right in my argument, you're retarded", or something similar, is unacceptable

I agree 100%.

I can't remember when I last observed this sort of behaviour on this forum.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne
    I can't remember when I last observed this sort of behaviour on this forum.

I certainly do, Cofty. Remember that many times the insult and personal attack take subtle forms, or are delivered under the guise of a humourous derrogative remark.

Eden

• cofty
    cofty

I made some substantial points in my first post in this thread explaining why I disagree that "even when you have a solid foundation for your claim, it doesn't entitle you to convince others".

Six people have clicked "dislike" but not one person has offered a single word in response.

Is this a discussion forum or popularity contest?

• cofty
    cofty
    So Eden first you object to people calling others "stupid, retarded or working for Satan". When I agree and observe that this never happens your objection changes to humour that you don't like.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit