On respect for the belief of others. Sorry for the long post

by StarTrekAngel 372 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

It's a common marketing maxim that "perception is reality." It doesn't take a great deal of thought to realize the unreality of that statement. And yet in a very real way it is true for nearly all of us.

As Einstein opined, "“Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

In the article, "6 Steps To Untangle Reality And Perception," Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Jack Grabon, explains: "Perception is the lens through which we view reality: ourselves, others and the world around us. However, the lens often gets confused with what is being viewed through it." We all filter and then interpret all the data that comes into our brain: first, through our various senses input devices each with their own particular limitations, and then secondly through our mind with its own cognitive strengths and limitations whether physical or due to our education and experience or lack thereof. And of course we cannot ignore the multiple biases and prejudices which we no doubt have, many of which we are sadly unaware.

Last year I spent a unit with one of my science classes focusing on the physical limitations of our senses. We explored and measured what we can and cannot perceive. We also learned about how these senses lie to us; not only do we not see a great deal of what exists to be seen, but our brains lie to us and "see things" that are not there. (An example of this is how our brain fills in the "blind spot" in each of our eyes by "guessing" what is there.)

After doing this for most of our senses, my students were beginning to wonder if they could trust anything. This is where a scientific approach to understanding reality comes to our rescue, at least partially.

By becoming aware of what we do and can know, by understanding that we have preconceptions, misconceptions and biases that influence our thinking, we begin to realize the importance of having evidence that is objective and verifiable in creating our understanding of ourselves and the world in which we live.

It then follows that we should begin to seek ways to independently verify what we know and what we think we know. This leads to a more rational worldview, one free of religious beliefs, superstitions and myths.

In my class I had several young JWs. Two of them told me after they graduated that those lectures helped them to have confidence in their questions and doubts about their religion of origin and to become independent thinkers.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Obliette The biggest influence with me came from a Geography teacher. He caused me to question the optics of the human eye. A great but forgotten man.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Truthseeker, thanks for sharing that, proving that some of our greatest influences can come from unexpected places.

Could you elaborate on how he influenced you? I'd love to hear more.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Some good comments re empathy. They say you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Methinks they are right more often than not.
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

Oubliettte " It's a common marketing maxim that " perception is reality"

The Rebel ( A) am I missing something here? Is not your " icon" a form of marketing? Is not your choosing the name " Oubliette" a form of marketing yourself? Does that deliberate marketing perception of your thoughts make them reality?

The fact is you chose that " icon" and your " username" to market your thoughts, so unless my observations are incorrect you are marketing your thoughts, and that makes your words as Einstein would say " Reality is an illusion, albeit a very persistent one" a very interesting illusion. And each persons reality in my opinion is to be respected ,not the power of the organisation, the media or the individual to confuse and corrupt other people to brilliant and sincere thoughts that may be wrong.

The Rebel.

• cofty
    cofty
    each persons reality in my opinion is to be respected

Each person's reality is an oxymoron.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    And each persons reality in my opinion is to be respected ,not the power of the organisation, the media or the individual to confuse and corrupt other people to brilliant and sincere thoughts that may be wrong.

Do you support the "reality" that NAMBLA, antivaxxers and the religious who choose to let their children die rather than get medical care are claiming is real?

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Viviane. Do you support the " reality" of NAMBLA.

The Rebel ( A) No.

Viviane. Antivaxxers and the religious who choose to let their children die rather than claiming and get reality care are claiming is real.

The Rebel ( A) No.

But what I actually wrote was a question. My question was:- Does a deliberate marketing of your thoughts make them a reality? And to help clarify that question I gave this illustration.

The fact is you chose that " icon" and your " username" to market your thoughts, so unless my observations are incorrect you are marketing your thoughts, and that makes your thoughts as Einstein would say " Reality is an illusion, albeit a very persistent one" a very interesting illusion. And each persons reality in my opinion is to be respected, not the power of the organisation, the media or the individual to confuse and corrupt other people to brilliant and sincere thoughts that may be wrong

So to clarify when I said " each persons reality in my opinion is to be respected" I was was referring to how an individual's opinion shouldn't be influenced by an organisation, the media or any individual friend to be confused and corrupted by other people.

So to reiterate:-

A . No I do not support NAMBLA

B. Nor do i support any religiouse, individual or organisation that would allow a child to die due to correct medical care.

But then again it's easy to part quote a paragraph or sentence and take it out of context. I learnt that from watchtower publications.

The Rebel.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I was surprised due to our past communication such a comment was even suggested.
    You said "each persons reality is in my opinion to be respected".

I asked because it's clear you really DON'T think that.

I was was referring to how an individual's opinion shouldn't be influenced by an organisation, the media or any individual friend to be confused and corrupted by other people.

That would mean that no one can persuade anyone at any time for any reason.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Viviane: you quote me as saying " each persons reality is in my opinion to be respected"

The Rebel ( A) It's easy to part quote a sentence or paragraph and take it out of context. I learnt that from the watchtower publications. But unlike when the watchtower quote out of context what I actually wrote is easily accessible to be read in its full context by any poster.

As this O.P is " On the respect of the beliefs of others..." Rather than go off topic, I will take some Dr Phill advice and not engage in any further perdantic details.

The Rebel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit