On respect for the belief of others. Sorry for the long post

by StarTrekAngel 372 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bohm
    bohm

The Rebel: I think there is a danger on relying on characters on a tv-show as they really reflect how the screenwriters believe very rational/intuitive people behave. I don't think there is a distinction between being amazingly creative and very rational, see for instance Einstein or other great scientists/mathematicians.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The rebel: the opposite of love is knowledge

It would be more accurate to say: the opposite of love is apathy.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Viviane ( Q)" Why are beliefs deserving of respect anyway?"

The Rebel, thanks for bringing that point to my attention. Maybe we can disrespect a part of a persons beliefs, without suggesting or thinking a persons entire self is unworthy of respect. But you are absolutely right many beliefs depending on our moral compass and education are not worthy of our respect.

bohem I agree on the danger of using characters from a T.V show to reflect how rational/ intuitiative people behave. It was just an illustration to emphathize that non logical thinking is also to be respected.

The Rebel

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Would you not agree that the impeccable logical speech of Spock is not a proper representitive of good thinking? Would you not agree that Dr McCoy is the more rounded thinker, because he takes imaginative and intuitiative risks?

Anytime someone starts with "Wouldn't you agree..", I've noticed the answer is almost always "No, I don't".

Off the top of my head, the episode "Galileo Seven" was an instance where Spock took a leap of faith in the crew still aboard the Enterprise, saving everyone on the shuttlecraft with an imaginative solution. OTOH, in "City on the Edge of Forever", McCoy almost destroyed all of future history by attempting to save Edith without knowing why she had to die. Spock, coolly logical in that situation, was instrumental in saving the day.

Having said, both things are needed in life. One does not trump the other in the grand scheme, there are definitely times when one type of thinking is needed. Knowledge is always helpful.

And finally...

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

The Rebel, I loved your StarTrek question. That is a perfect example of the type of essay question a teacher might create in order to assess knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of different thinking styles.

Sometimes teachers assess student knowlege on a given subject by asking them to create an "assessment" and answer key. This requires higher level thinking skills, metacognition, if you will.

It's been interesting watching your thinking skills transform, Rebel.

And, props to Viviane who did a great job of providing an example of how to answer a question such as that. Very key, providing examples.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Oubliette. I share some of your frustration with the like and dislike buttons. I feel that there was more and more personal discussion before the buttons. I really would like to know what it is about my comment that you dislike because sometimes the posts we make have multiple points in them.

Also, it's nice to get a personal response for a liked post for a similar reason, as well as also better relationship building.

However, I think part of the issue is that forums are asynchronous types of communication. If you are reading comments that are several pages long and began several days ago, hitting like or dislike on a comment in the middle of an old thread might be the most appropriate form of feedback.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    I like the buttons.... I personally am not using the dislike often as i do not want to 'hit and run' on something as opossed to discussion but i do appreciate being able to "like" something even if i dont want to add something specific beyond my general agreement
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Fair point, Morph. Sometimes you just don't feel like making more out of than a nod of general agreement.

And, thanks for responding personally!

• Viviane
    Viviane

So, enough time has pass that I feel comfortable writing this.

With regard to the idea of respecting everyone's belief, I categorically deny that we should be doing that. If anyone is interested I am happy to discuss why.

With regard to how we treat others, this thread was a wonderful mmicrocosm to view how people view "fairness" and principles.

For example, we had several posters decide to have a "Bash Viv" event because, in their opinion, I treat people poorly. A lot of claims were made and an interesting thing happened. The people most vocal about treating others with respect and nicely did a few things:

- Lied about me

- Made vague and baseless accusations and said up front they weren't going to bother even trying to show their claims had any basis in fact

- Quote mined me out of context and cherry picked things I had written

- Two posters tried to suggest I have emotion or mental disorder to denigrate me

- I was called names

Don't worry, no one on the internet has the ability to alter my mood or affect my feelings. I did find it somewhat amusing but, what I found really interesting was how it unfolded.

It appears that those most claiming to want fair and nice treatment for all actually have no problem with any of the above behavior as long as it is being done to someone they don't like. In other words, it's not a principled stand or position, but rather an emotional response to perceived hurt and a willingness to lash out in turn as long as they feel safe doing it. It's the emotional and mental equivalent of spanking your kids to show them hitting is wrong.

It was quite an interesting thing to see, particularly since I called out their behavior and asked, specifically, if anyone would call it out. I don't want to go on and on about it, but I did want to say, the conclusion I reached after watching that fascinating event unfold is that these posters remind me of the preacher that rants against homosexuality and drugs. It's likely a safe bet he will soon be caught in the backseat of a male hookers car while smoking meth. Similarly, the most vocal complainers about treatment are more than willing to happily engage in the behavior they deccry, as long as they do it do the right person.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Viv

That's your take on how this thread went down. You've expressed it well. Other posters involved in this thread will no doubt have their own take on how this thread developed.

Also, the thousands of lurkers will develop an opinion of this thread after reading it.

With regard to the idea of respecting everyone's belief, I categorically deny that we should be doing that. If anyone is interested I am happy to discuss why - go on then, I'm game. Why shouldn't we be respecting everyone's belief?

Off ya gan ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit