On respect for the belief of others. Sorry for the long post

by StarTrekAngel 372 Replies latest watchtower bible

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    The Rebel: O.C " People who have invested their time and life into a profession deserve respect"
    The Rebel (A) Does that include pioneers,ministerial servants, elders,circuit overseers and the G.B?
    We have many " professional educators" in our life and we have many people who have invested their time and life into a profession, footballers and politicians, In my opinion that is not the criteria for respect.
    The Rebel.

No, it does not include pioneers, ms, elders, etc...

Those are not "professional" occupations.

"...we have many people who have invested their time and life into a profession, footballers and politicians, In my opinion that is not the criteria for respect."

That is where we differ in opinion, TheRebel. The work, commitment, and dedication that is required to gain a "professional" status, in my opinion, does deserve respect.

• Simon
    Simon

Once again, off topic comments will be removed as will comments then made about them.

Please don't treat topics as your personal chat room.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

On this one I have to say I agree with Simon, if those posts weren't deleted I am sure Oubliette and I were at war. Hardly worthy of a thread " respecting the beliefs of others"

The Rebel.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    TheRebel: On this one I have to say I agree with Simon, if those posts weren't deleted I am sure Oubliette and I were at war. Hardly worthy of a thread " respecting the beliefs of others"

You were the one being disrespectful.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

In a deliberate attempt to redirect this thread back to the OP, it seems that many here feel that you can't disagree without it becoming a personal issue to them. Although they will deny it, their responses indicate otherwise.

I have enjoyed many excellent discussions on this forum where people are free to express their differing viewpoints with respect and are respected in return. I have also experienced the exact opposite.

With the intention of getting the discussion back on track, I have these two questions:

Why do you think this is?

What is the best way to address the situation?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Reassure you of what?

Viv, I asked: please tell me more about these discussions ... [plus a series of questions].

Your response: Yes [presumably to all my questions]. why?

You didn't tell me much more, did you, Viv.

In fact, it seems as if you told me the least amount possible.

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to "win" an argument here with you, Viv, nor am I trying to create a "gotcha" moment. I submit my public apology (made because I couldn't send you a private message) to you as evidence for my sincerity.

I am surrounded by Muslims (my town has nearly 3 times the national average - I see women in burkas on a daily basis). Going into detail re. how you tell Muslims how you criticize Islamic doctrines might come in handy for me.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

O.C " You were the one being disrespectful"

The Rebel (Q) How would you justify that comment?

Probably best if you don't answer as the O.P. is " On the respect of the beliefs of others" not personal issues I have with Oubliette, which have nothing to do with beliefs. Maybe it's our history, maybe it's a personality clash, but it doesn't belong on this thread. End Of. We have P.M, if we want to sort it.

Maybe that's the best way to respect the beliefs of others, not to side track the thread thread with unrelated crap.

The Rebel.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Oubliette, in the UK there is a saying never discuss religion or politics. I don't personally agree with it but I think it's because a person's identity, their belief about the purpose of life and their view on life after death are usually tied up with their religion.

I think it's a wonder we can discuss religion at all on here given we are such a diverse group of people. Religion gets to people 'where they live' so it's bound to be tough going. I think this thread has just run its course and it's time to end it now IMHO.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Xanthippe " Here in the U.K we have a saying never discuss religion or politics"

The Rebel (A) Maybe that explains why Blair was elected and allowed to bomb Iraq?

The Rebel.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Xanthippe: I think it's because a person's identity, their belief about the purpose of life and their view on life after death are usually tied up with their religion.

Good point.

So because they take it personally, they respond that way even though the instigating comments were directed at beliefs, beliefs which the person making the original comments might not even know the other person holds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit