On respect for the belief of others. Sorry for the long post

by StarTrekAngel 372 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stuffwotifink
    stuffwotifink
    Before they were born you knew they were conceived and growing in the womb. Had you been unknowing of their existence, could you then have loved them?

You loved some cars and planes once you knew how they were designed. (Or looked, depending upon what you meant by loving their design.)

If you have "loved" women you have simply seen in magazines, I'd suggest that either we have very differing ideas of what "love" is, or that you loved how they looked.
    Which depended upon you knowing how they looked, no?

Perhaps it's my lack of imagination but I can't think of anything I ever loved that I knew nothing about.
    (I may just be misunderstanding the sense in which you are suggesting that knowledge is somehow antithetical to love and barking up the wrong tree as a result.)
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

Stuffwotifnk. " I think knowledge is a prerequisite for love?"

The Rebel. How do I answer your question and keep the thread on topic. " On respect for the beliefs of others?"

In my opinion I feel each time we read something we should find something new in what we have read. This is why i like to respect the beliefs of others. This is also why I like to debate and cross pollinate thoughts with other posters. Personally I have lost my faith in the bible as the authoritive word of a God.But each time I read the creation account I still want to find new thoughts. For example my latest reading of the creation account, I thought if there were two trees in the garden the tree of life and the tree of knowledge. Why not eat from the tree of life first?

But the main point I want to make is that i have concluded, all the hatred I have inside me is based on knowledge. It is often a simple thought of opposing viewspoints to mine that have made me dislike a person.I am trying to correct that viewpoint. In fact without knowledge I do not believe I could hate.

This is why I welcome the opportunity to learn and have my say on a discussion forum. And I try to respect the opposing views of other posters. In my opinion " Iam" is the only thing I can be 100% sure of and I can't proove that. And in my opinion if somebody says they believe in God, and the only answer they can give is " I know" then I respect that opinion. Many things in life are simply a mystery, and as far as I am concerned people can believe what " they know" even if they can't give factual answers to there faith.

How long is a piece of string? There is no answer, because a piece of that string will attach itself to something else.

Of course the above is only my opinion.

The Rebel.

• cofty
    cofty
    In fact without knowledge I do not believe I could hate

Or love or respect or do anything.

This is as perfect an example of a non-sequitur as I have ever seen

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    So tempted to make a 'testy' reply in line with the expletive that is popular on this thread but I am too chilled at the moment. Just couldn't resist it for fun.😄
  • cofty
    cofty
    Xa - It is only applicable when you also provide well reasoned responses to a post but there is one specific point that is so self-evidently nonsensical that it does not deserve the pixels.
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

Agreed Cofty.

But to try and justify my statement, In art I believe the only rule is if it works.Now maybe my non-sequital thinking is breaking rules and you feel it unacceptable? But I still personally think the thought can be presented,or should thinking be so rigid?

The Rebel.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Cofty I agree. Some things leave me speechless. I like to conserve pixels for good causes.
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

A question from star-trek on the respect of the beliefs of others.

When we watched star-trek we observed Dr McCoy is incapable of Spocks immaculate logical thinking. The reason was McCoy was willing to explore hunches and non-conventional speculation,even when not justified on logical grounds.

( A) Was this a strength or a weakness?

( B) Do you think Dr McCoys beliefs should be respected. ( I ask this because I noted Spock generally did not respect McCoys thinking, whilst Captain Kirk did)

The Rebel.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    A question from star-trek on the respect of the beliefs of others.

We could also ask (and have, with no answer) if someone holds the idea that we should respect others beliefs, does that include NAMBLA? Antivaxxers? Religious people who will deny their children life-saving medical care due to their religious beliefs?

Why are beliefs deserving of respect anyway?

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Well let me attempt to answer the star-.trek question.

I think Dr McCoys beliefs are to be respected more than Spoks. Would you not agree that the impeccable logical speech of Spock is not a proper representitive of good thinking? Would you not agree that Dr McCoy is the more rounded thinker, because he takes imaginative and intuitiative risks?

The Rebel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit