On respect for the belief of others. Sorry for the long post

by StarTrekAngel 372 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty

Its surreal when people object to robust debates about religion on a religious discussion forum.

It's like going an "open mic" night and complaining about the singing.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

When truth is the enemy everything becomes objectionable.

The Rebel.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    That's calling it like it is Cofty. But that is what happens here, quite often as you clearly know.
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    didn't tell me much more, did you, Viv.
    In fact, it seems as if you told me the least amount possible.

This may shock you, but I don't always have time for detailed responses and sometimes I prefer to give short answer until I understand why someone is asking it.

The only time I discuss religion outside of this forum is with my kids or when someone brings it up with me and ignores my requests to drop it (or when JWs knock on my door).

I politely explain why I find none of their reasons compelling, explain that it's not JUST Islam, but all religion and belief in the spiritual. The topics are usually up to the theists.

• cofty
    cofty
    that is what happens here, quite often as you clearly know

We have members who we never hear from until somebody posts something along the lines of "I don't like your tone". Suddenly they all start howling at once like that scene from the Aristocats.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I don't personally agree with it but I think it's because a person's identity, their belief about the purpose of life and their view on life after death are usually tied up with their religion.

If they choose to bring it up for discussion, how tied up and invested in that ideas falls under the category of "You should have about that before you decided to bring the topic up, theist."

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

This may shock you, but I don't always have time for detailed responses and sometimes I prefer to give short answer until I understand why someone is asking it - fair enough, Viv. Well, I told you why I asked for it.

I look forward to you detailed answer when you have the time.

We are, of course, "in this forum".

A detailed response from you might help me.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I'm boarding a flight in 15 minutes, so a response would be either later tonight or tomorrow (or in the air if the flight has WiFi.)
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

Religion recognizes that rule over a persons mind is the key to rule the country. But isn't that what communism and captitalisam is about? Sadly to many people adhere to this rule without a fight. At least some posters here stand up and fight for what they think. That deserves respect.

The Rebel.

p.s Reb catching a bus and not a flight.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

That's fine, Viv - whenever it's convenient for you.

No rush ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit