On respect for the belief of others. Sorry for the long post

by StarTrekAngel 372 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

With all due respect Simon, I disagree with you about the kittens sub-thread being off-topic. As Bohm opined, it was likely that if I posted something as completely innocuous and unobjectionable as a picture of a kitten some would "Dislike" that. It only took a few minutes for that to happen, proving my point that there are posters on this forum that refuse to engage on content but have no problem making outright personal attacks or taking the lazy, passive-aggressive route of clicking on the "Dislike" feature. I can't imagine this is in harmony with your intention for including this feature on your forum.

Again, I submit that this proves my thesis in agreement with that particular aspect of the OP.

Over the last few weeks I have seen others and have myself been the object of such personal attacks for a variety of reasons ranging from:

1. disagreeing with an action that another well-respected forum member made and chose to share publicly, to
    2. asking a poster for clarification of an OP which I found confusing, to
    3. criticizing Lloyd Evans

-

In these three cases (and they could not have been more different) I and others tried to differentiate between discussing content and personal attacks. This distinction was appreciated by some, but completely lost on others. The ones it was lost on are the ones that make meaningful, even rigorous debate impossible on a forum such as this.

• Simon
    Simon

You seem intent on using this topic as an opportunity to air gripes which I have already said will be addressed.

Like and dislikes are not some federal election - they are just meant to provide a way to share some sentiment whether someone chooses to post their comments or not. They are allowed to do that so stop berating people for it as though it is wrong - no one owes you any explanation for likes or dislikes you receive.

The thing that is wrong is when people clearly do it to retaliate against someone they don't like rather than the point of a post. If you have never done that then well done.

As for the purpose of the feature - if someone clicks "dislike" instead of ranting and insulting someone then so much the better. Not every topic and post will be the ideal candidate for it's use. A bit like how editing of articles on Wikipedia is great except when it comes to those about religion and politics.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

StarTrekAngel. " Sorry for the long post"

The Rebel, well I don't envy you having to read your way through this " long" thread tomorrow.

The Rebel.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The thing that is wrong is when people clearly do it to retaliate against someone they don't like rather than the point of a post.

Agreed.

If you have never done that then well done.

I may have in the past in one of my less-than-finer moments. But I have not done it lately and certainly not on this thread.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Back to the O.P " On respect for the belief of others"

I have concluded people can disagree on everything it is possible to have an opinion.

With threads on God, I have observed most athiests do not accept believers have solid arguments supported by facts.

However In my opinion what is the point of being right if a peaceful resolution is not possible? It is on that basis that I try to be flexible and enter the world view of a poster who has opposite opinions. I look at there case, and how they justify it.

Now admitadly logical and factural statements are welcomed, but in my opinion the only thing I am 100% certain on in life is that "I am". It is also impossible to proove my existence. Therefore how can a believer in God proove the existence of God? On that basis for myself personally I respect the opinion of the believer even if I feel they do not have solid arguments.

This is why I said in an earlier post I have concluded the opposite of love is knowledge. It is with knowledge that we find reasons to dislike each other, and it is with knowledge that we argue with each other, and perceive other people as ignorant. I prefer however to except that some questions do not have an answer they are just a mystery.

The Rebel.

• cofty
    cofty
    most athiests do not accept believers have solid arguments supported by facts.

True

enter the world view of a poster who has opposite opinions. I look at there case, and how they justify it.

I always do that. I used to be a theist

Therefore how can a believer in God proove the existence of God?

They can't even provide objective evidence never mind prove him/her/it. On the other hand I can prove the impossibility of the god of christian theism

the opposite of love is knowledge

Bollocks

it is with knowledge that we argue with each other, and perceive other people as ignorant.

Ignorance is a lack of knowledge or understanding about a topic. Most christians are wilfully ignorant of the evidence against their superstitions. I do my best to help them with that.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Thank you for your reply Cofty.

The Rebel. The opposite of love is knowledge.

Cofty (A) Bollocks.

The Rebel ( A) I think your reply is giving justification to my statement. That is assuming your reply " Bollocks" was based on your taking in knowledge of what I wrote and replying as you did?

It should be noted I actually wrote " I have concluded the opposite of love is knowledge."This is only my opinion. But I clarified this by offering my reasons " It is with knowledge that we find reasons to dislike each other, and it is with knowledge that we argue....." I think that was a valid observation for an O.P titled " On respect for the beliefs of others". Would you not agree?

The Rebel.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

i agree that love is counter (if not totally opposite) to love.

love is emotional and irrational. Knowledge is based on facts and nonemotional assesments of facts.

Seems like a solid statment to me

• stuffwotifink
    stuffwotifink
    Can anyone "love" something they have no "knowledge" of?

I think knowledge is a prerequisite for love.
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I loved my children before they born or i had any knowledge of them as individuals.

i have loved cars and planes at first glance, simply on their design.

ive loved women ive never meet having only seen pictures in magazines.

Knowledge can enhance love but its not a prerequisite for it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit