South East England - love of the greater number cooling off

by truthseeker 107 Replies latest jw friends

• nelly136
    nelly136

i think alex doherty left years ago.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I attended a cong near Portsmouth for a few years...good grief the atmosphere was so cold ...we had 4 children at the time just moved to the area and we asked the elders how long it would take for us to be accepted socially??? they said 'oh after about 5 years people will probably start being more friendly'...horrendous....went to a few assemblies for that circuit and they were more like business conferences...loved the weather down there but dear me what cold people ...even JWs .....give me Northerners any day of the week....I dont know about the love falling off...I doubt much of it was ever there....

Loz x

• nelly136
    nelly136

the assemblys at the lido were cool, weird ceiling, itchy snap shut knees round ears cinema seats, but i probably enjoyed going there because we always went to see the Drewetts afterwards (till they moved to scotland)

even duller and vaguer memorys of going to margate kingdom hutch probably late 60's early 70's, did they have metal bar and bandage seats by any chance?

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Lozhasleft,

I visited Portsmouth North End (I think it was this one) with a brother once and hardly anyone acknowledged us. Five years is a long time to be accepted!

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Yes one my daughters married a bro from Portsmouth North End and moved into there....his dad was a leading light ...surname Smart (quite appropriately ) ring any bells???

Loz x

• highdose
    highdose

my experiance of southern congs was that they were all so miserable they didn't want to be freindly to anyone!

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks for bringing back some memories Truthseeker,

I was in the old Kent circuit from my birth in 1950, so we may both know a lot of the same people people.

I have P.M 'd you.

It is a pity a lot of the people on this thread no longer post, I would have known a lot of them and/or their families I guess.

Wobble

• cantleave
    cantleave

Nugget and I are in this neck the woods. Loz I have just sent you a PM.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

Same thing in France, congregations (and people in general) from the north (which correspond to the south of England...) are said to be more friendly than the southern ones.

But families in all of them are nice to the young lads when they have daughters eligible for marriage.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I don't know anyone by the name of Smart.

The young pioneers were bored in our hall and all moved to London. They felt that the ministry wasn't supported very well in their home congregation.

London was always seen to be the place to be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit