South East England - love of the greater number cooling off

by truthseeker 107 Replies latest jw friends

• anglise
    anglise

Hi Matt

didnt Andy Smith marry a sister from a Hastings/Brighton cong?

Anglise

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

I went to Brighton a few years abck and thought it was hilarious that they have their own catering staff - being Brighton they were all gay - was hilarious !

• Englishman
    Englishman

MattNoel,

You uncle is Bill Bull? The ex-DO? Used to live in Sheffield?

Englishman.

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

Yeah thats the one, he now lives in Eccles, Manchester

I spoke to him a while back when I was first diss'd as he was trying to get me back in, even came down to see me. Then I recently sent him an e mail just explaining that I am happy and not coming back but in true JW style..................he ignored it

• Matty
    Matty

Wow, I remember Bill Bull very very well, excellent speaker - could get an audience in the palm of his hand - which I thought was cool at the time but I now regard as very worrysome!

• Englishman
    Englishman

Matt,

I stayed at his house once. He was working for Ron Grover then as a rep in the north, Ron had the factory in Fareham that I mentioned earlier.

Englishman.

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

Blimey so you all know him then !

Really nice bloke, very well spoken, I remember the first time I picked up the phone to him when he called my mum and he was trying to describe to me how he was related to me - I thought it was a creepy caller ! but he was a lovely bloke the more i got to know him. Whenever I spoke to him he had always been flown to far flung places by the society

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

Matt,

Really nice bloke, very well spoken, I remember the first time I picked up the phone to him when he called my mum and he was trying to describe to me how he was related to me - I thought it was a creepy caller ! but he was a lovely bloke the more i got to know him.

It's a shame he's now decided to snub you just because you chose not to go back.

His loss.

Ignored One.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Matt

Did you know your uncle once wrote an article for 'The Donor', the Blood Transfusion Service quarterly newsheet? I've still got it somewhere. He was, of course, defending WT blood policy. I thought how open-minded and fair it was for this publication to give space to the Society to promote their views.

I wrote a letter in response which, in part, suggested that the Blood Transfusion Service might attempt to reciprocate by asking the Society to offer them a few column inches in The Watchtower.

Stir, stir, stir

Nic'

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Bill Bull,

Did he not once set up a parcel delivery firm when he came off the full time service? called "Post Haste" or something similar . I was trying to get in on it but it failed and the brothers had to find other jobs

Your recollections of the South East bring back memories although we are not there now.

In answer to the original question. I have always found that a cong will only reflect the town it is taken from . Stuffy little town means a stuffy cong. We found the same thing furher away. One had to chose between a nice area to live or having a lively cong in the inner city area.One D/O of my acquaintance referred to a "Market town mentality"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit