South East England - love of the greater number cooling off

by truthseeker 107 Replies latest jw friends

• qwerty
    qwerty

Rebellious attitude already?!

Qwerty

• yxl1
    yxl1

Ahh the Dorking assemblies. Who remembers the donut making machine? And the freshly made icecream?

I'm pretty sure that was just before we moved to Cambersands.(An enclosed butlins holiday camp the Dubs rented...Any one remember?) Now that was a laugh. I got baptised at Cambersands because I could go back to my room and blowdry my hair! (Well it was the 80's)

• anglise
    anglise

Oh Camber

we got baptised at Camber.

This was actually a good venue IMHO and far more relaxed than driving every day to the A/H.

I think the org was nicer then or maybe it was because we were new dubs.

Anglise

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

Camber was great. I only remember it for the adventure playgrounds that were there. Plus the pedalos and indoor pool.

Stuff the boring talks, half the people who attended had to watch it on TV anyway.

Ignored One.

• nightwarrior
    nightwarrior

This is a good thread. Been fun reading it...

We are in SE London, but went to Hayes Bridge.

CO's Richard Cullen - cheap smarmy git..... (that's me being nice)

Glen McFarlane - I remember him when he was Co up in the North East - not bad

Jim Carter - He had a stroke, again up in the NE, and now I think off the circuit - he was ok

Rember Dennis Dutton - I heard some years ago he had left the JWs' ? anyone enlighten me?

Now I am trying to think... of some other names ---

Mrs Nightwarrior

• Matty
    Matty

Dennis Dutton is currently serving as a member of the UK branch committee as is John Andrews, John Wynn, Bevan Vigo, Jack Dowson and Peter Ellis.

I agree with you that Richard Cullen is a smarmy git. He got made a CO at an incredibly young age and I wondered what he did to rise up the ranks so quickly. He loves living the high life and seem to particularly befriend all the wealthy brothers and sisters.

• uriah
    uriah

Someone (I forget who) mentioned Margate. Ahhh good old Margate. Anyone remember Ron Bond, we used to call him Mogadon because his talks were always delivered in a monotone and boy, were they d u l l. In fasct they were duller than a dull thing with a degree in dullness from oxford university. Then there was Gordon Barber who used to do the WT study and always go overtime - eeee by gum lad arm foam yerkshire aye earm a yerkshiore laaad aye appen, whippits and blaarck poodin eeee, I'll go t' foot ov R stayers.

I used to pass the time at meetings seeing how long I could hold my breath - 2 mins - It is difficult trying to gasp for air, all red faced in the hall of oldens. When that earned the usual thwack around the ear then I would hold the pipe of the radiators and see how long I could do that (when they were hot, that is). Ahhh those were the days.

Camber was great. Everyone headed for the snooker room or the beach, great fun.

Haysbridge, hard seats red decor and the feeling someone was pouring cold air down your neck if you sat in the middle bit. I mostly thought about lunch especially during the baptism, it went on for ages and all I could think about were my sarniesmmmmmmmm sarnies.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

BTTT

Since some are resurrecting old posts, thought this one might be worth another look

• nelly136
    nelly136

dejavu reading some of this

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Bet nothing has changed nelly136!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit