South East England - love of the greater number cooling off

by truthseeker 107 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Just thought of something. Did anyone go to the Brighton Dome for the district convention in the 80s? This wasn't the Brighton Center. I remember there being a bomb scare and we all had to get out as quick as possible.

Anyone went to the old Dorking Assembly Hall?

If you have the 2000 Yearbook, do you know anyone personally who is mentioned in the Britain report?

• ignored_one
    ignored_one
    What about Clive and Jan Upton?

The scottish one was Glen McFarlane. We heard he had some kind of nervous breakdown. He was a nice person. Dont remember the spoon though.

Ah. Upton. That sounds right.

Glen mustn't have used the spoon everywhere. He used to say we needed to be 'big stirrers' or something.

Ignored One, spot on. Colin Conradie, this was him. In the Sussex Circuit, been there about 2 years.

Really? I heard he'd moved to south africa. Ah well.

Ignored One, I remember that somewhere in Sussex, I think Worthing or possibly Horsham where they played football, it all came to a stop because it was getting too competitive. I used to go every other week there. It was very cliquey.

That sounds about right. I'm sure someone mentioned that it was getting a bit out of hand.

I have a question for everyone, was your congregation strong regarding meeting attendance? Did some of the pioneers move to get into a more encouraging congregation. London seemed to be the place to go for anyone who wanted excitement and a more progressive ministry.

Our cong was always thin on the ground pioneer wise. Most we had was 2 regular and maybe 3 aux. Low considering we were a 100+ cong.

Ignored One.

• Englishman
    Englishman

aunthill.

The Blown-Up Witness Part 2:http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/17675/1.ashx

Englishman

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Hi Anglise, thanks for those comments, they brought back memories.

I used to hoover up after lunch time in the dining areas. Also cleaned the tables. Not many people bothered to help clean, guess they were whacked after spending 7 hours enjoying a rich spiritual feast.

I remember the food arrangement. With the new simplified food arrangement, you could still get biscuits, tea and coffee. Then they got rid of that too. I don't know why they don't just get rid of the dining rooms altogether.

I used to like volunteering just to get out of my chair. I was an attendant once, had to go into the ladies and do the count twice a day.

Amazing the number of brothers who just liked to walk about in the corridors and the grounds, talking in the car park. there was no where else to go. The unfortunate thing about Haysbridge, is not only is it a pain to find (Bones Lane?), there's absolutley no shops/pub near at all. Just open grassland.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Ignored One, hi, Colin Conradie did go to South Africa, but he came back about 3 years ago. I remember when they announced David Bingham leaving and a brother replacing who came from South Africa. Colin had a strange way about him now I come to think of it.

Our hall had about 4 reg pioneers, same pub count as yours, a little over 100. They always moaned about low turn out for the field service during the week. Old sisters couldn't get about everywhere and needed dropping off home after an hour.

I remember one time when we were working the borders of our territory, we saw a nearby congregation working. None of the friends even acknowledged them with a hand wave. So cold.

• ignored_one
    ignored_one
    Ignored One, hi, Colin Conradie did go to South Africa, but he came back about 3 years ago. I remember when they announced David Bingham leaving and a brother replacing who came from South Africa. Colin had a strange way about him now I come to think of it.

Has he had a wife since you've known him?

I remember Haysbridge. I dunno what it was sending me to sleep, the talks or the horrible red decor

Ignored One.

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

Truthseeker, in answer to your question about being mentioned in the yearbook my uncle is WJ Bull or as he is know to everyone Bill Bull, he heads the HLC for Britain.

My Aunt Dorothy Bull was also in the WT I think in the 80's as she was something leading in Dialysis.

I used to also go to Hayesbridge - in fact have a pic of me, ignored one and the enourmous family of his ! and my bitch sister.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

MattNoel, very interesting comments, I shall have a read of my yearbook again!

Quite a few of my friends who went to Haysbridge are out now. The days of large baptisms are largely gone at Haysbridge. If you get even 2 or 3 it's considered good. A few years ago, it wasn't uncommon to have 12 or more new ones.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Hi Mattnoel, noticed you're based in Kent. Did you ever visit or know anyone in the Margate congregation?

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

yeah i got baptised there too there was about 12 of us !

Yes I went to margate, had some pals there too and in broadstairs - Andy Smith, Carlo and Claudio Cannas and some others

where were you ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit