Real reasons behind this change?

by Gorb 67 Replies latest jw friends

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

"Maybe they've discovered how lucrative televangelism can be. Just keep listening to us and sending us your money and we'll give you all the tools you need to survive Armageddon"

I remember the old Hour of Power and similar shows offering a "free gift" for donations above a certain amount. It might be one of Robert Shuller's books, or some "inspirational" frippery with some "possibility thinking" message. If the GB started being less judgemental on the outside world and started writing more "inspirational" stuff (and got a charismatic front man), they could perhaps pull off something similar. If the sales tax issue doesn't stop them from doing it, that is.

• forzaitalia
    forzaitalia
    I really don't like the way the organization is run like a business. Titles, targets, deadlines. Pioneers will think even more of themselves from now on - yuck
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Pioneers will have now an even more elevated ego.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

What Jeff Jackson said in his talk at the AGM made me feel physically sick.

I remember countless times the GB have said something like they are blaming the Jdubs for believing something that the GB had previously told them to believe and now putting the blame on them for believing it.

Tony Morris used to do this a lot and he did it with those believing the 1975 endtimes teaching. It’s your fault for believing it and sarcastically and arrogantly having the high horse we are better than you see the way I’m talking to you now.

Jeff Jackson did this saying “we know you were thinking like this” in a weasel whinny sarcastic voice.

“some of you were thinking I hope my unbelieving relative dies before Armageddon so they will be in paradise with me”

he speaks as if we were all so stupid to believe this, when it’s the GB that were stupid for telling people to believe this all these years. You are the stupid one Jeff Jackson so why are you coming across so superior and arrogant when you should be apologetic and you should commend those smart ones who disagreed with the GB.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.
    I remember countless times the GB have said something like they are blaming the Jdubs for believing something that the GB had previously told them to believe and now putting the blame on them for believing it.

Yes, that's one of the things I detest about them.

I think Ray Franz wanted an acknowledgement in print that they were mistaken about 1975 and what came out made it look like it was the rank and files fault!!

Here are some previous 'apologies'....

1976 "It may be that some who have been serving God have planned their lives according to a mistaken view of just what was to happen on a certain date or in a certain year. They may have, for this reason, put off or neglected things that they otherwise would have cared for. But they have missed the point of the Bibles warnings concerning the end of this system of things, thinking that Bible chronology reveals the specific date." (Watchtower, July 15, 1976, p. 440)

1979 Because of this hope, the "faithful and discreet slave" has alerted all of God's people to the sign of the times indicating the nearness of God's Kingdom rule. In this regard, however, it must be observed that this "faithful and discreet slave" was never inspired, never perfect. Those writings by certain members of the "slave" class that came to form the Christian part of God's Word were inspired and infallible, but that is not true of other writings since. Things published were not perfect in the days of Charles Taze Russell, first president of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society; nor were they perfect in the days of J.F. Rutherford, the succeeding president. The increasing light on God's Word as well as the facts of history have repeatedly required that adjustments of one kind or another be made down to the very present time. But let us never forget that the motives of this "slave" were always pure, unselfish; at all times it has been well-meaning. (The Watchtower; March 1, 1979; p. 24)

1979 Partly because of eagerness to be alive when Jesus Christ reveals himself in glory, there have been believers throughout the centuries who began looking for a particular period or a year for the windup of the ungodly system of things. this has happened right down to these "last days." Since certain expectations were not realised, many stumbled and returned to the ways of the world. In fulfilment of Peter's words, even today we hear the voice of ridiculers. (2 Peter 3:3,4) (Choosing The Best Way Of Life; 1979; p. 169)

1980 "With the appearance of the book Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God, and its comments as to how appropriate it would be for the millennial reign of Christ to parallel the seventh millennium of mans existence, considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, There were other statements published that implied that such realisation of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. There were statements made then, and thereafter, stressing that this was only a possibility. It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a build-up of the expectation already initiated....In saying anyone, the Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah's Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the build-up of hopes centred on that date. (Watchtower, March 15, 1980, p. 17-18)

• Biahi
    Biahi

Fred Franz came to my district convention in 1976…he SHOOK HIS FIST at us, and said it was OUR FAULT that nothing happened. I knew before then (I was 16) that they were full of 💩. His antics just reinforced it.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

The most insulting part is that they were saying these things even though people should still have been able to remember the 1969 magazine where they told young people that "the fact" was that they would "never" (direct quote!) grow old in the present system. There is no way to soft-stroke what they said, so they ignored it entirely and told the rank and file "you read too much into what was said, and that is on you."

They lied, then they lied AND called everyone stupid. And they survived it. I won't believe that beast is dead until it has stopped breathing.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Why would people even want the end to come in 1975? There was too much going on and yet so much more ahead for the future. So yeah, I blame the people for looking to 1975 because there should have been no reason for them to be looking for the kingdom to come. The future of this system looked so bright from 1975 and on.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Indeed. Disco wouldn't even peak for another two years.

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

Rattigan350

How old are you? I was at an assembly, me and 10 members of the born in family who heard an elder, off the platform, say we are at the end of the 6000 year period, entering the 7000 rest year- meaning, Its here! Our deliverance.

Also, in previous Ministry school reviews, this idea was planted over and over. Not to mention books and mags.

You have faith, you believe everything, my kid wasn't going to have to go to school, the new system was right before us. Many sold off their homes and furniture, businesses --just to hear, we were 75ers. 75ERS!

For what? For having faith in them. And you seem to think our misfortune was our mistake? For having faith.

Why would we want 75 to come? Your a joke to not have a clue as to how many were affected. How about the Book "Millions Now Living Will Never Die" later changed several years ago to "Millions Now Living May Never Die" in a study article? We, who had faith were scolded and reprimanded off platforms and by others who said we were misunderstanding the message. Really?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit