TO THE STUPID ATHEISTS:

by atheist_R_stupid 71 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cantleave
    cantleave
    Mmmmmmm Coconut rice!
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Now I had some fun and read through many other comments.

Please don't get this ARS banned.  ARS does more for atheism than I could even hope to do.

• millie210
    millie210

ARS made the statement that most atheists are white males. Is there any basis for saying that?

Just curious if anyone knows or has heard that before.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

millie210: ARS made the statement that most atheists are white males. Is there any basis for saying that?

ARS probably cannot see past the men who champion atheism: Hawkins, Harris, Hitchens, Dennet.  Also, there are plenty of non-whites who don't practice religion, but I can tell you as an atheist that it is difficult to speak out within your own community, and the black and hispanic communities (at least in the U.S.) would be even more against such speaking out.

Take someone like Neil Degrasse Tyson.  He clearly follows science, but doesn't want to be attached to an atheist agenda, so he avoids the label.  The atheist movement is indeed a movement.  Unless people are making their living via the movement, it might be wise to be unattached to the movement.  That doesn't mean there aren't non-white non-believers in droves. It just might mean they are not making a living with their beliefs.

A movement gets a power structure.  The atheist movement is no different.  Power structures tend to go to white males in any circle of people.  (People are people and atheists are no better.)  The big names mentioned above are part of the MILITANT ATHEIST MOVEMENT.  And let's face it, virtually all militant-type movements are by men.  This not only explains the leadership roles being white but also being male.  Men of all ideaological persuasions are over-represented in media and they also tend to over-represent white men.  Look at conservative churchgoing people in the media (pretty much representing Republican movements in the U.S.).  It seems to be all-white people and mostly males there too.

Many atheists and even non-atheists assume (correctly in my opinion) that atheism equals rationalism and logic more than non-atheism.  While we do know that rationalism is gender-neutral, opponents can help themselves by focusing on the males to make it appear as if atheists are biased on that.  And atheists don't help themselves often because of the "people-are-people" theory of mine- some men would think that rationalism and logic are male qualities and would listen to men sooner than to women.  

Edited to add: Dr. Eugenie Scott of the National Center for Science Education would be a fine example of a leading female atheist, but her focus is on science and she is not a primary mover in the atheist movement because of that.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss
    ARS makes me miss focus
  • OnTheWayOut
  • Kanon
    Kanon
    You seem very angry buddy, I think someone needs a cookie.
  • MissFit
    MissFit

IIBliss: that would have been quite a show.

• millie210
    millie210

OnTheWayOut,

Thank you for not mocking me as I really meant my question legitimately and you obviously took it that way.

I have actually printed out your response and added it to a work notebook I am compiling as I try to search out what I find on my personal quest to what is "true".

True in this sense meaning accurate. Not necessarily what the science says currently. I think as a case in point when many thought the earth was flat. Im glad I wasnt there and Im glad I didnt think that.

Science has its place as well as empirical evidence and I respect both.

My son pioneered and eventually began to question things. He tried to talk to the elders about his "atheistic" views and was eventually disfellowhipped for "other" reasons (think Ray Franz here).I supported my son through his trial by fire. I watched elders lie, forge letters, and other shocking (to me) things.

I myself quit pioneering and came here looking for something - wasnt sure what. I mostly read for 3 years and began actively commenting around 6 months ago.  In the last 4 years, I have seen my son flourish. He has his Bachelors and is forging on. He studies physics. I am paying for his education which I am in a position to do and as I feel I more than owe him, given the things I raised him to believe that he had to fight his own way out of.     

We talk about atheism - he talks - I listen. That is why I read here, I dont want to burden him or slow him down with my erroneous views. I want to learn.

You gave me an enormous amount to mentally digest and consider. I appreciate it so much, thank you.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

ARS seems to be one of those unfortunate individuals who is struggling with his own beliefs and that is why he is so vocal about ostracizing atheists to the extent he does.  He obviously doesn't have much education or knowledge to counter what he reads in the bible.

From that acknowledgment I think there should be a level of empathy offered to him and people like him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit