Watchtower to pay for Silentlambs trip

by Dogpatch 182 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Hi Dawn,

You can contact silentlambs for any information. I was only passing on his general mail post.

[email protected]

• Mary
    Mary
    This post seems aimed at sensationalizing what is a very normal part of the litigation process. Cases like these ought to be tried in a courtroom, rather than on a web page.

Uh no, I'd say this post was to let us know to what extent the Governing Body and their henchmen are willing to go to protect a pedophile. The lawyers acting for the Society know full well that Paul Berry is a disgusting, low-life sack of shit, yet rather than DISFELLOWSHIP him for his disgusting behaviour, they apparently are willing to pull out all stops in trying to make it appear that he's not really a bad chap after all. They're going to have all kinds of brothers and sisters from the Hall testify on his behalf as to what a great guy he is. Are they going to apologize to the girls that he raped? Are they going to pay for therapy for these victims?

Cases like this NEED to be put on this site; that's what it's here for.

• DJ
    DJ

144,000.....you are overreacting imo. No one is trying the case here.

Of course a deposition is routine, that is not the point. That is why I gave the advice to keep answers short and honest because the deposition is used at the trial to make sure that the person does not deviate from what was stated in the deposition,as well as the gathering of info aka discovery. I'd like to see the deponant have the wt lawyers come to him instead of going to them. The home team generally feels more comfortable and I wouldn't want the wt or Prince to pay for my meals....

• unique1
    unique1

Question:

If he has already been convicted and sentanced by a jury why is there going to be another court case? Is he appealing?

• Dawn
    Dawn

Thanks Dogpatch. I did find the website with the news article on it. I'll contact silent lambs to get more ideas for publicising this.

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one

Mary,

I'm not up to speed on the case at issue, but I'd be willing to bet that the Watchtower could care less about the interests of the perpetrator of this crime. The Watchtower is a business, and it is their own financial interests they seek to protect. If you think their defense of Mr. Berry is for Mr. Berry's benefit, I've got some investments in Nigeria I'd like to talk to you about.

I am the last person who would defend the Watchtower, as I feel victimized by them as well. But I believe in our justice system and the fundamental ideas it is founded upon, such as the notion that one is innocent until proven guilty and should not have their life, liberty or property taken from them without due process of law.

If we're going to "try" cases on this web page that is frequented almost entirely by ex-JWs, then it seems only fair to me that those making assertions in this regard be exposed to scrutiny, even if that scrutiny comes from ex-JWs (like me). Due to legal reasons, the Watchtower will not defend itself here. It's up to the rest of us on this forum to question both the statements of others here as well as their motives. I believe in questioning authority, even if that authority purports to be aligned with my own views.

DJ,

I fail to see how my post is an "overreaction." No one is trying the case here, but some are certainly presenting their side of the story, and it seems only fair that one-sided presentations ought to be scrutinized by the readers here.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

144, you are an attorney, are you not?

• VM44
    VM44

I am not up on the case either....but....can someone tell me simply this:

Why is the Watchtower interested in defending Paul Berry to such a degree?

Is it because they truly believe that he is innocent?

--VM44

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Paul Berry was already tried and convicted of 17 counts of molestation. He either served or is still serving a sentence in jail.

The link to this case is at:

http://www.courts.state.nh.us/supreme/opinions/2002/0207/berry076.htm

I believe the case going on now is a civil suit against the elders and Watchtower Society.

• SwordOfJah
    SwordOfJah

I believe the case going on now is a civil suit against the elders and Watchtower Society.

Let me get this straight. The Watchtower was sued and Bill Bowen is criticizing them for using their resources to defend themselves? Is he stupid or something? The Watchtower IS NOT choosing to use the money, they're being FORCED to use the money to defend themselves in court. I am one that donates regularly to the World Wide Work and I would expect the Watchtower to defend themselves and not make some disgruntled Witness rich with our donations!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit