Watchtower to pay for Silentlambs trip

by Dogpatch 182 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    The Elders in general are just as misled as the rest of the rank and file JWs, and don't think they aren't. They're lied to and filled with garbage just like the rest of them are. Are they in a better position to see the wrong? Of course, but by the time they make it to that position they're so full of 'glory' they can't see straight.

Rev, whether they believed the lie or not is irrelevant, it does not excuse the behavior of the elders in this situation for one very important reason. What is at issue here and what Alan and I are trying to address, is whether because they had authority over the flock and the kind of authority that is seldom questioned and generally accepted as coming from God, that they have greater culpability in this situation. The answer is that of course they have greater responsibility than for example Sarah Berry in this particular case.

To deny this is to deny that the WTS has any control over its adherents, and that they are free to behave as they wish without the constraints of WTS dictates. This is plainly nonsense as the WTS is a high-control religion and demands on pains of punishment total obedience to its tenets, including an expected total obedience where its appointed elders are concerned.

This issue was dealt with in great detail at the Nuremburg trail after WWII. While the judges accepted that many of those on trial had been themselves subjected to the influence of mind-altering propaganda, this was not granted as an excuse for their excessive behavior because of the authority that was vested in them. The average German underwent the same processes, many from infancy, but they were not tried as war criminals because they had no authority vested in them.

Best regards - HS

• sf
    sf

Well, I am not letting this mother off the hook either amac. Same with Elizabeth Smart's mother. And the two klowns that just got their five yrold back from a 'family friend' who, at some point, was ALLOWED to take all sorts of photos of this child. WHERE WERE THESE PARENTS ?? Idiots!

This thread touches on main issues I have with my own mother and the CHOICES she made FOR OUR ENTIRE FAMILY NUCLEUS. Of course, I take issue to with extended family members for not forcing my mom to question everything about this org. back when she first got 'involved' ("to get closer to my man"...she said) and saw the drastic CHOICES/ changes that were taking place at a rapid pace. They too, ALLOWED it to happen...by not questioning. We were kids then. What could or should we have done to save ourSELVES?

Alan states: "Rank and file JWs, like Sarah Berry, are given a rather different set of standards by the Watchtower hierarchy than are elders."

As I 'm sure too, that my mother FOLLOWED, BY CHOICE so as to "please Jehovah AND His organization" and stay closer to her man. To 'display' how obediennt she could be and was. She made these choices in her life and lives around her; without any regards. It's as if she foundd the one place where all the responsibility would NOT be on her much anymore. Every choice was being made out of her selfishness. HER needs. HER wants. HER desires. HER AGENDA!

Get this Alan...

About 6 months ago, I TOLD my 11 yrold daughter, out of the blue, as we were sitting on couch playing a card game...."I've (MY CHOICE) decided that I am going back to jw meetings and might start doing door to door work again. All my research and 'associations' has caused me to re-think MY life."

Now, you tell me...what do you suppose HER re-action was?? Tell me Alan, if you can. What do you think shot through her soul? Tell me, if you can. What will MY CHOICES in HER life 'do' to her, now, at this age? Take a guess at what her re-action actually was.

Parents CHOICES over critical life choices of a child...not a human piece of property, are sorely made in this world. And guess what? WE CAN! We can beat our kid and hope we get a real 'kool' judge that not only ALLOWS the child back in the abusive home, but only gives us probation!

Am I being ridiculous? Maybe, but I don't think so. No guns were pointed to anyones head in these cases that I'm aware of. So you tell me, WHO'S RESPONSIBILITY IS IT TO PROTECT YOUR CHILD? Damn straight it's mine. Not some damned man trying to scare me with the wrath of god and some book company. Please, those days are over people...

What are you so afraid of now? Elders? C.O.'s? JEHOVAH? Come on. Stand tall and deliver.

You do not anyone to guide you in protecting your kids. Teach them too how to protect themSELVES. That is THEIR responsibilty too and should know 'Prevention'. I tell my daughter to 'be responsible in YOUR CHOICES today' as she goes to school. To stay alert of your surroundings and don't lollygag...get to your destination without taking a lot of time. Of course cellphones are a gem now and we can 'keep track' easily.

Now, as for taping people without their knowledge by Bowen...

Just be careful what you tell that man on the phone, or at a conference.

sKally

• amac
    amac

AlanF -

Amac, I don't believe you have a very good understanding of the JW religion and how it works. It appears that you were once a JW, but you don't seem to have absorbed the nuances of the culture.

Actually, despite your assumption, I was raised as a JW by an elder, baptised for 17 years (in the faith nearly 30), pioneered for 6 years, served at Bethel, served as a MS and gave Public Talks for 6 years before stepping down. Not only did I absorb the nuances of the culture, but I had them shoved into every orifice.

I am not near as good at writing or expressing thoughts as you are, so I will not attempt a treatise of similar fashion. But here are a few short replies...

Elders themselves, however, are perfectly well aware of this notion "in effect", and are not deceived into thinking that they themselves, or any of their fellows, are literally appointed by holy spirit. Getting up to the GB level, these men are perfecly well aware ...

I disagree. I think the difference of understanding and belief is minimal between the average elder and the average publisher. Understanding that there are obvious contradictions in many JW teaching including apointments by Holy Spirit and Spirit Directed organization vs Inspired prophets, etc, I believe that any JW when pressed for details would have to admit that mistakes could be made in appointing elders and that in time Jehovah will sort it out. I think Elders believe the same. I disagree that elders are generally privy to some knowledge that frees them from the bounds of the JW belief structure just a little more than the average JW.

Since no Watchtower official such as a GB member claims to be inspired, and most of them know perfectly well that they can rarely even claim to be "spirit directed", they also know that the laws, commands and doctrines they promulgate to rank and file JWs are at best their own personal interpretations of the Bible.

I don't know many GB members so it is hard for me to say what they believe. Do you have a personal experience where a GB has expressed this belief to you? Perhaps all the GB truly believe that if they pray to Jah he will make them say and write the correct things because they truly believe it is His organization. Perhaps they are held to the same misunderstanding as most JW's. That is what they teach at least and I have no proof or reason to show otherwise.

They knew that their advice was not from God, but was from their own interpretations and from the Society, which they also knew was not getting direction from holy spirit about the girls' abuse.

Again, you are basically saying that all elders and GB members are knowingly deceiving the rank and file. That they are privy to knowledge that differs from what they teach the members. Deceiving? Yes. Knowingly? That's a little harder to prove and I've never seen proof of it.

Just as with HS, I think we will both continue to think differently on this.

However....for the sake of argument, even if I was to agree with you that the elders are more culpable than the mother, I would still have a couple arguments. 1) are they 3 million dollars more culpable? 2) if they are more culpable for what the mother believes she should have done, who of the two has more direct responsibility of the children. In other words, it could be argued that although the elders had the greater responsibility between them and the mother for the mother's beliefs and actions, the mother has greater responsibility for her children than the elders. I'm not sure if that even makes sense to myself...better stop at this point.

• RevMalk
  • 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one

Hawkaw said, "There are many more accounts as well as BOE letters that prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the WTS by its policies tried to hide these cases. The victims opinions are not biased. They are factual. They were told to be quite or face dfing. The pedophiles denied the accusations and nothing was done because the elder hide behind clerical privilege as instructed in BOE letters from the WTS and the two witness rule. These are facts and they are out there for all to see - Erica, Heidi, Berry girls etc."

This is a very dishonest effort to falsely characterize my previous statements. I have never accused the victims of these cases of being "biased"; please provide a quote to support this implication. You stated that the victims in these cases would agree with the characterization of the Watchtower as a "pedophile paradise." I responded that these victims would likely be biased in expressing such an opinion because the extreme harm they have suffered would likely taint their ability to be objective on this issue. I have never expressed an opinion here or anywhere else regarding the Watchtower's conduct in these cases, as I believe such an expression of an opinion would be inappropriate given my ignorance of the facts presented at trial.

"And quite frankly you by using a questionary style hinted that Bill may not be on the up and up. All I ask is that if those truly are your questions why didn't you contact Silentlambs and ask for a copy of the statements rather than making those questions public the way you did. If you don't get them then come back and tell the board. Last time I checked its a toll free call and seeing Bill doesn't post here unlike the certain Counsel you refer too then maybe you should contact him."

A question is not a hint. Go back and read the original comment. gcc2k said, " I'm sure that Bill's mission (or mission in life?) is genuine and heartfelt . . . " Seeing as how no evidence has been presented to support that assertion, I questioned its basis by asking whether anyone knew the extent of Bill's compensation, if any, from Silent Lambs, and whether there were audited financial statements available. Questioning the validity of an assertion for lack of basis does not equate to "hinting that Bill may not be on the up and up." You are the one providing such hints by your extraordinarily defensive posture on this issue.

Additionally, when I read a quote such as the one attributed to Bill Bowen at the inception of this thread, I can't help but question the motives of the person who made it. Sensationalizing the WT's use of routine discovery tactics and stating that these acts are for the benefit of Paul Berry (the convicted molestor) is dishonest, in my opinion. Their purported payment of Mr. Bowen's expenses are for their own benefit, not Mr. Berry's. According to the quote attributed to Mr. Bowen, he has already been convicted. The case at issue will have absolutely no effect on Mr. Berry's conviction. I'd like Mr. Bowen, you, or anyone else here to explain to us exactly what sort of benefit Mr. Berry would derive from the Watchtower escaping legal liability in this case.

"I think if you applied Calf. law to the Bowen/WTS service department call you would note that Bill as the PO was phoning on behalf of the elders in the congregation to see what would have to be done in the case. The WTS person was expecting Bill to pass the message on to the other elders and thus, even applying California law, Bill was still okay since the response was to be relayed ot others - http://www.rcfp.org/taping/"

Your interpretation of the California statute is absolutely inaccurate, but debating that point is moot since the matter is not subject to California law. Also, criminal liability is not the only issue; there are possible civil implications as well (e.g., invasion of privacy). But putting legalities aside, do you believe it is proper to use deceit to accomplish your objectives? .

I think it's safe to assume that both of us would like to see the Watchtower punished for the grief we've personally experienced or seen others experience. However, it appears we differ on the approach that should be used to accomplish that objective. I don't believe ethics should be compromised to achieve this goal or any other goal.

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

^^ oops! Still haven't figured out how to use the new board ^^

I'm not all that comfortable getting into details on this case because it's not my place to condemn the mother. That's something personal between the girls and their mom. (And I wasn't there to see everything that occurred)

But I can speak in generalities:

Rev, whether they believed the lie or not is irrelevant, it does not excuse the behavior of the elders in this situation....

I agree 100%

What is at issue here and what Alan and I are trying to address, is whether because they had authority over the flock and the kind of authority that is seldom questioned and generally accepted as coming from God, that they have greater culpability in this situation.

This might be an issue if I were a JW. But I'm not, I'm a parent. And there is not one single thing on this planet or in the Heavens above that would allow my children to continue to be harmed. I would give my earthly life and my eternal life for the safety of my children, in the present, past and future, as a JW and as an ex-JW. I think the Elders have no greater responsibility than any parent If anything, I would believe they have less. The Elders are controlling an adult parent, that should have the common sense to protect their children, and the Parent is controlling an innocent child that can't help themselves. The parent can walk away from their religion, they can walk away from their Elders, but the child can't. The child has no-one to rely on except their parents, and they're being let down, by flesh and blood.

To deny this is to deny that the WTS has any control over its adherents, and that they are free to behave as they wish without the constraints of WTS dictates.

The Watchtower has control over it's adherents just as the Mormons have control of theirs and just as the Catholics theirs, and the Westchester County Country club has of theirs. You can adhere to the rules or you can get out, and there's nothing wrong with that, nor abnormal. There's plenty of other things abnormal about this particular religion without grabbing at straws, and that's exactly what we're doing with that.

This is plainly nonsense as the WTS is a high-control religion and demands on pains of punishment total obedience to its tenets, including an expected total obedience where its appointed elders are concerned.

Yes, so long as you wish to be a Jehovah's Witness, this is true. But again, we've all been taught that the Elders can sometimes be wrong, we all saw it happen time and time again, we were brainwashed to an extent, but we weren't stupid. Can you tell me that you've never seen an Elder fall in all the years you were a JW? How did they explain this?

I don't buy this whole "We were taught to obey the Elders and that they could never be wrong" because that never happened in my congregation. (but to be fair, we had like 9 Elders get the boot all at once, so we were used to seeing Elders fail)

We can only be controlled if we allow ourselves to be controlled, point blank.

This issue was dealt with in great detail at the Nuremburg trail after WWII. While the judges accepted that many of those on trial had been themselves subjected to the influence of mind-altering propaganda, this was not granted as an excuse for their excessive behavior because of the authority that was vested in them.

And what is the difference between the authority of an Elder and the authority of a parent?? While I accept that a parent may be subjected to mind altering propaganda, I do not excuse them from their negligent behavior. I've said it on more than one occasion, I think the negligence on the part of the Elders, the Watchtower Society AND the parents should be a Class 'A' Felony. If parents were held responsible for their actions (or lack thereof), then you'd see a hell of alot more JW parents running to the cops when their child is hurt. We'll sit here and condemn the parent that is still a JW for not going to the authorities for the protection of the children, but we can't if they've left the sect? Why?

Maybe it's because alot of us are simply interested in the falling of the Watchtower, so we get a kick out of the fact that people are leaving it. Frankly, I could care less if all 6 million kept right on going and donate all their money to them. What difference does it make to me? People should be free to worship the way they wish to worship, yet the organization should be accountable for their actions.

I just had a thought. What about these crazy suicide cults. Are the parents that allow, or participate in their children's death equally not responsible because they truly believed that God wanted them to kill their child? They were, after all, directed by their 'Prophet' to do just that in numerous cases around the world. At what point does a parent take responsibility for the protection of their offspring? All you have to do is read the Bible to know that the ultimate responsibility lies in the hands of the parents. Are the parents in these religions that forbid medical treatment excused for their negligence? Should they be, are they just brainwashed? What about abused women who allow their children to be abused by their husbands, in any form, physical, mental, sexually.......they may have no religion, but they've been beaten down and brainwashed by their abuser. Are they excused from protecting their child?

I think what's happening here is that no-one wants to blame the parents because they wish to place ALL the blame for ALL the world's problems on the Watchtower Society, and it simply can't all be their fault. Yes they're crazy, yes they're wrong on so many counts, yes they harm innocent people, yes they have told myriads upon myriads of false prophecies, but are they really responsible for every conceivable thing that goes wrong in our lives? Are we not responsible for our own actions even though we were brainwashed ourselves?

I blame myself for being hooked into this, I blame myself that my daughter lost 4 years of Christmas and Birthdays. I blame myself that I wasted so many years of my life. I can't blame them, they taught this crap to me and I swallowed it. Who's the stupid one?

I remember being hauled in front of the Elders for socializing with my DF'd brother. I told them that if my brother were dying I would give my eternal life to spend one more day with him, so in my eyes at the time that's just what I was willing to do, and that's just what I was doing. I can't imagine not doing the same to protect my own child from harm. So no, I don't get the excuse that one has been filled with propaganda. I think these Elders should hang out to dry, I think the Watchtower society should be hung out to dry, and I think any parent that willingly allows their child to be harmed is not without blame.

Rev

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    even if I was to agree with you that the elders are more culpable than the mother, I would still have a couple arguments. 1) are they 3 million dollars more culpable?

In a punitive sense, hell yeah. The mother has been punished already, while the elders both took part in that punishing, and have escaped punishment themselves. 3 million dollars to the WT is as 300 dollars to this woman.... and of course punitively, it's not about the money anyway, but that's what we use to enforce change on organizations.

• amac
    amac

6of9 -

Good point. I can agree with that.

Here, here! on both 144,001 and Rev's posts!

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

I agree that the Society should be ringed right out for all they have, maybe then they'll at least attempt to do what is right. I will concede that the society itself has a greater load to carry here because we're talking about the fact that they've harmed literally thousands upon thousands of innocent children. On the grand scale of things, the organization itself carries (or should carry) a larger burden. But I think they should carry a larger burden than the local Elders that have mishandled a case or a few cases. The local Elders are following the direction of the 'mother' organization, just as the parents themselves are. But straight down the line there's no excuse for any of the responsible parties, including the parents.

144thousand_and_one, I have to agree with just about everything you've said. I've witnesses much deceit and lies for the 'greater good', and frankly it upsets me to no end. Things don't have to be twisted or 'made up', there's enough hard evidence bouncing around to sink the Titanic. I saw something being passed around a while back, I received an email forward regarding the Louis Angiuano case.

The heading said something to the effect of:

"Again the Elders protect the guilty with confidentiality"

Then in the BODY of the same email it stated that at least one Elder testified AGAINST Louis Angiuano

- ?????? -

Where did the Elders protect their own with confidentiality if they testified against this guy???

I just don't get it. I feel like I'm reading the Watchtower again with all the inconsistencies and deceitful tactics. I'm not bitching, I'd just like to see these victories with honesty, it would be real nice. I didn't leave the Watchtower to swallow a whole new load of propaganda.

Rev

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

RevMalik,

The point still seems to be being missed here.

Nobody has excused the mothers part in this tragedy. What has been said is that the mother, true to the high-control tenets of her belief obeyed the elders who are painted by the WTS as Gods legal representatives on earth.

To try and avoid the fact that this mothers notions of right and wrong in these situations were not influenced directly by the WTS and its teachings is nonsense. They influenced her decision not to report to the 'earthly' authorities, but in her own way of thinking she did report in an even more superior manner, to the 'heavenly authorities' - which happens to suit the WTS agenda of maintaining internal control of such problems.

Now, the elders likewise share the belief that the WTS is to be put before common Law, to this day they still do and most, like Sarah Berry continue to buy into this scenario. Are they as 'duped' as Sarah Berry was, YES. Are they more responsible for their choices after being presented with the matter of this abuse YES. Why? Because regardless of the strength of their belief in the WTS teachings, they had authority over this women vested in them and were duty bound by the dictates of their own conscience to search their hearts before they gave Sarah Berry advice. They then gave her the wrong advice, took the wrong action and regardless of their motives or beliefs they they are partly culpable for the repeated rapes that they sent the children back into their family home to endure.

Is it unfair that they are being sued for holding to similar beliefs as the mother? Perhaps it is, but that is beside the point. Is it morally right that they should be sued given the authority vested in them and the way that that authority was excercised - yes! The designers of the drug Thalidomide felt that they were doing a service for mankind in manufacturing this drug. It came to blight the lives of many of the people it was designed to help. Perhaps they should not have had to pay for their error because after all, the outcome was unexpected? This is of course nonesense. They had authority over the user and even though their motives were unimpeachable and their belief in the product absolute, they had to pay for the misuse of this authority.

It is the aspect of authority over the individual that makes this not just an issue of common belief.

Best regards - HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit