God, where are you?

by onacruse 90 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

bikerchick said,

I'm angry at that god called jehovah, he took the best years of my life

Like many others, I suffered the crushing disappointment of realising that "The Truth" was phoney. That there is not going to be a new world, I am not going to live forever , and in at best 25 years time I will be as dead as my parents are now, and I will not meet my Mother in the resurrection.

However, I also recognize that all these things were the invention of the WBTS - not specifically the bible's teaching.

I am not intellectual , I cannot debate the details of evolution vs creation bur certain things make me sure that there is a God and creator.

The wonders of creation , a newborn baby, the love between two people, the kindness shown between people, our artistic and creative gifts (wish I had some!) - none of these things have been explained to my satisfaction unless a loving God created them .

I have read the evolution websites, and I am sure that others here will say I am wrong. But that belief only seems to deal with the mechanical act of building life, not the power and intelligence that moved it to happen. I dont mind if others disagree.

I only know that when I see these things, and when I read the Bible I have an inner belief and conviction that this is right. All beliefs really come down to an inner conviction that what we read must be true, and this is me, at the moment

In short we cannot blame god for our own mistake of wasting our lives as some of us have done .

• blackout
    blackout
    What is worse is when the imaginary friends do talk back. Are they still imaginary then or are you just a nutter? Who are crazier? Those with the mute imaginary friends or those with the chatterbox imaginary friends?

Hey Donkey, Ive often thought about that one, how do we really know who is crazy and who is connected to god? lol

Here is a song by REM, Craig, one of my favourites:
    Losing My Religion Life is bigger
    It's bigger than you
    And you are not me
    The lengths that I will go to
    The distance in your eyes
    Oh no I've said too much
    I set it up

That's me in the corner
    That's me in the spotlight
    Losing my religion
    Trying to keep up with you
    And I don't know if I can do it
    Oh no I've said too much
    I haven't said enough
    I thought that I heard you laughing
    I thought that I heard you sing
    I think I thought I saw you try

Every whisper
    Of every waking hour I'm
    Choosing my confessions
    Trying to keep an eye on you
    Like a hurt lost and blinded fool
    Oh no I've said too much
    I set it up

Consider this
    The hint of the century
    Consider this
    The slip that brought me
    To my knees failed
    What if all these fantasies
    Come flailing around
    Now I've said too much
    I thought that I heard you laughing
    I thought that I heard you sing
    I think I thought I saw you try

But that was just a dream
    That was just a dream

• SYN
    SYN

Craig: A nifty answer. But the theory still applies, IMHO.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

SYN... your icon picture cracks me up. The kitty trying to be bigger and badder than it is...

(sorry, didn't mean to hijack, it just hit my funnybone...I think I need my morning coffee)

• onacruse
    onacruse

TR, will you give God a discount on your book?

xbj: Your thoughts were also working hard in me yesterday. It's only been in this last month that I've seen in myself the courage to "challenge God." For the first time in my life I actually said "God must..." And this thread: just lay it on the line. And why would I be so hesitant? After all, even the Bible shows Abraham and Job "putting God to the test," without repercussion. Maybe it's a little like "going up against a respected poster(s);" we credit ourselves with less worth than we have, and thus step away from the plate. Add to that a fear of some hypothetical future retribution for our impertinence, and we've got a perfect recipe for faintheartedness. No more.

asleif:

if that God wanted me to follow him, he had to do better. And he didn't. So I don't.

Yep; like what I said to xjw, "God had to..." We're "worth" just as much as Moses; if God talked to Moses, then God can talk to us.

Intro, you've been a great resource of "alternative thought." I'd like to talk to you, if you don't mind. P/m me for my phone #.

Mr. Kim, and Gopher:

God will provide-ah, if only He would till He does!
    Yiddish Proverb
    Craig
  • asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir
    The wonders of creation , a newborn baby, the love between two people, the kindness shown between people, our artistic and creative gifts (wish I had some!) - none of these things have been explained to my satisfaction unless a loving God created them .

Why?

(no, I'm not being snotty) Why do we feel these things "had" to be created?

RE: love, emotions...read a book called The Anatomy of Love by Helen Fisher. Biochemistry is a wonderful thing. Perhaps emotions do not need a "mystical" origin.

• nowisee
    nowisee

in the 27 years since i left wts i have undergone my own personal evolution, at first thinking i was so stupid i would never figure it out, so what was the use in trying. i was agnostic, then disbelieving in anything but whatever fun i could have, then agnostic, then searching, now Christian.

in the process of accepting Christ as my Savior i also cried out, wondering if ever i would have the certainty of being sure of what i was doing. i searched, i knocked, i sought. sometimes it seemed as if nothing would ever make sense. some things still don't. but when i was at my lowest i had prayers answered. has no one here ever had a prayer answered?

again when i was very low i found that the center verse of the bible, psalm ll8:8 gave me peace of mind. i didn't need to have every possible answer to every possible question. but i could wait and trust that God would make things clear in time.

God does not speak to me audibly, but i sense his presence in my life. i have drawn close to Him. i have made changes in this past year, that i never thought i would or could, or would even desire for myself. (did i EVER think i would be calling myself a Christian?? -- oh no no no)

i have not been formally educated, not versed in philosophy, logic, debate, etc. some of the things i have read on this forum (like the just read thread on polytheism/pantheism posted by sirona) have made my head spin.

one thing i have discovered is that it takes every bit as much faith if not more to believe in the non-existence of God than to believe that He lives.

"when it comes to the origin of life there are only two possibilities: creation or spontaneous generation. there is no third way. spontaneous generation was disproved one hundred years ago, but that leads us to only one other conclusion, that of supernatural creation. we cannot accept that on philosophical grounds; therefore, we choose to believe the impossible: that life arose spontaneously by chance." -- george wald, "the origin of life", scientific american, may 1954

maybe in the end it all boils down to faith.

best wishes, nowisee

• Valis
    Valis

onanism...you ever read Towing jehovah?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer of the "Onanism Diety" class

• Introspection
    Introspection
    Intro, you've been a great resource of "alternative thought."

I hope it becomes clear that what I suggest is an 'alternative' to thought, although it actually isn't exclusive to it, but just puts thought in perspective. It's funny that regardless of what people think they don't appear to notice that for the most part what they have in common is faith in their own mind, whether that mind believes in God or not is really secondary. People place so much importance in the beliefs they hold, but even if what you believe is true in some sense it's only a reflection of a bigger picture called reality anyway. Psychologically speaking it becomes clear that it is only so much tail chasing, one engages in the activity of continually reasserting their view of reality instead of just looking and experiencing reality which is of course always available. This is why I tend to just point out this one fact anymore, what I think is really not all that significant or relevant to anyone I am communicating with, if they want to see the truth they have to see it for themselves. There is a difference between just looking and convincing yourself of something.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Craig,

If You ever want to get in touch, You know how to reach me. I'd be thrilled to hear from You

Absolutely no one with their head screwed on straight could object to that statement. Yet what can be pointed to with absolute conviction that shows he HAS GOT IN TOUCH WITH YOU? Religiously and philosophically there are no absolutes, just beliefs and faiths. Even in the science of sub-atomic particles there are no longer any absolutes.

Yet I too am confident that inspite of this there is a superior intelligence, universal love and a purpose to all of this we perceive. So I will repeat for you: "If You ever want to get in touch, You know how to reach me. I'd be thrilled to hear from You". Nice thought Craig

Jst2laws

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit