God, where are you?

by onacruse 90 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nilfun
    nilfun

This is a very interesting topic for me, as I have read of God being talked about
    as being "our Father".

(Though, If I am remembering correctly, something was said at the hall about
    people like me (great crowd) not really being children of God, but then again,
    I could have misunderstood what was being said.)

Thanks for those answers, IW. I guess I just don't understand why God
    is waiting for us humans to cure AIDS ourselves when he could do it
    in an instant if he felt like it.

I think God's silence/refusal to help makes it really difficult for me to
    believe that He is even there.

I believe that when mankind sincerely strives to reach that point of maturity, which really is love, then the Almighty will accept us as his children, for then and only then will we truly be his children.

So God has rejected me from birth(?)

How depressing, but it explains a lot.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

nilfun,

No, I did not say that.

IW

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

nilfun, your avatar has me reading your post like the church lady. It makes it twicest as much fun!

Here's a song for you: http://nomenclature3.tripod.com/Sweet_Side.wma

• nilfun
    nilfun
    No, I did not say that.

I never said that you said that.

How depressing, but it explains a lot.

I own those statements.

I feel that if I am not truly God's child, then He has rejected me. If I turn to my own children and say to them, "You are not truly my children," believe me, they would be heartbroken...and definitely feel rejected.

I believe that when mankind sincerely strives to reach that point of maturity, which really is love, then the Almighty will accept us as his children, for then and only then will we truly be his children.

I took your comment to mean that you are talking about God's acceptance of humans as His children as something that has not happened yet. So, 'til then... if He doesn't accept me as His child, then I feel that He has rejected me.

• larc
    larc

As I stated before, God is on vacation. It is his day of rest. Either that, or he simply doesn't exist. In either case, you are on your own, for better or worse. Forget about prayer and make the most of your life, as best you can. God is not there for you, never has been never will be.

• nilfun
    nilfun

SixofNine,

Thanks for posting that link. I listened to the song more than once. I think I need to go lie down now.

Night all.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Mr. Kim, you posed an interesting question.

Why should we, as humans, expect help from GOD or think that GOD owes us something?

If God is truly a good parent, he would set aside resources and contribute all of his energy to make sure his children have every chance of success in life. Isn't that what is expected of human parents? Then why should our expectations for God be any less?

Why are we left with so few scraps of information to go on about him? Why does he continue to withhold practical help from humanity? Does he enjoy watching human suffering? Is he busy watching an intergalactic football game between two squads of angels?

Another way to view it is that in the book that more humans hold to be "his word" than any other, the Judeo-Christian Bible, he continually is acting -- fighting wars, sending prophets, sending his Son, making promises. So he sets up these expectations that he is a God of action. Yet what action or intervention have we seen in the past several centuries? All we have is promises of some coming "day" of his -- as if he needed to wait to finally bring that day. Why the delay, if he really is such a good "parent" to his human children?

Logic demands an answer.

• Realist
    Realist

onacruse,

Realist: I've said many times in this forum that I believe in God. My reasons are inductive in nature, not demonstrative. You say "God is dead." Do you mean this inductively? If so, then your reasons are no better than mine. Do you mean this demonstratively? Then provide evidence, clear proof that God is dead.

Along the lines of what I said to Realist: by induction (e.g. so many other people feel they've had just such a personal experience) I consider the existence of God as a possibility. Also, by induction (e.g. so many other people feel they've never had such an experience) I consider the non-existence of God as a possibility.

this was just a beloved Nietzsche quote

i think from an intellectual standpoint one cannot exclude the possibility that the universe has a deeper meaning - of which we are not aware of - and thus perhaps a designer. however the idea of a personal interacting god is a naive and outdated belief that has been extensively falsified by science. personal expiriences of god just like those with ghosts, demons the devil or whatever imaginary figure are caused by psychological issues and are not part of reality.

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

TR, will you give God a discount on your book?

Craig if I thought he'd read it I'd personaly deliver it. The hero in the story struggles with his need to do what's right and moral in a difficult situation. At times he is forced to swallow his pride and take care of business. Kinda like what we have to do in our daily lives.

I just want him to know that even thought he chooses not to take an active roll in my life, I choose to live what I consider to be a godly lifestyle. I love my family, I protect my kids and I do no harm to others. If an imperfect lout such as myself can find the time to do the right thing, I would think the Almighty could do the same.

I don't mean to piss anyone off, but the whole thing reminds me of a neighbor who has unruly teenagers and hides in the house because they're ashamed of their failure.

Thunder

• Shakita
    Shakita

Big Tex:

I in no way wanted to minimize the importance of your post. Who am I to say that God did not provide a source of comfort to this poor little boy? I am just one in 6 billion people, none of whom has the answer to the big question, "Is there a higher power who really and truly cares?" No one has been able to answer my question. Every answer ends up with more questions. The answers are never logical. I guess you hit the nail on the head when you said that I was angry. Yes, I am angry. But, I am not sure who I am angry with. Am I angry with God? Am I angry with organized religion? I will probably die, as the rest of humanity has died, without my questions being answered.

IW:

First off, from my above post you can see that I am not sure if God exists or not. But, let's assume the Bible is the word of God, then the answer to your question about Him answering all prayers....Yes, I do think he should answer all prayers. By doing so, maybe the answer would be "no", but he should answer regardless. To be silent all these years is absolutely criminal. Giving birth to a child (or creating one) comes with responsibilities. These responsbilities last a lifetime, they do not end just because that child grows up and leaves home. This is what I believe. If God is Love, then where is this shown in living up to that responsibility of a parent who truly cares? Mr Kim asked, "Does God owe us something?" I feel he does, just as any loving parent owes his children something. It is his responsibility.

Gopher said it best....."Logic demands an answer."

Mrs. Shakita

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit