Polytheism - Jehovah has same status as other gods

by Sirona 117 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Satanus
    Satanus

Freewill

do we need to find out what the other gods require?

No, just find out how the world/universe works. That's is what the daoists did/do. The thought that gods must want something from us is a reaction caused by fear. It probably goes back to caveman days. I see clash just stepped out of his cave for a minute to throw some stuff.

Clash

Seems that your god's only relic is a book written by men. He's kind of shy, wouldn't you say?

Sirona

I thought i was more or less a pantheist. Whatever (because seedy said that their beliefs may be different from mine). I too sense this universal energy, sort of like the force in starwars (thanks clash, for bringing in brother luke skywalker). 'God' seems impersonal. However, there may be gods about somewhere (just higher beings, likely). I'm quite sure though, that we have spirit helpers a bit like guardian angels, or higher powers. We are also our own higher power, in a way.

SS

• seedy3
    seedy3

Free will it is interesting you point that out about the "like us" statement, here are a couple of others that indicate that YHWH may not have been the supreme God at the early beleifs time of the Hebrews, for instance:

Deut 32:7-9 where El gives to YHWH (Ya have to look in the hebrew to see this).

Psalms 82 where El is sitting amung the gods (meaning more then one god).

as I brought out earlier YHWH was a son of El and would have been amung these gods, but was not at this time the Almighty. He became the almighty later on when he took on the charictaristics (spelling?) of El. Down through history he evolved taking on many other gods likenesses some of them being Ahurah Mazda, Zeus, and so forth.

the above scriptures courtisy of this thread:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/52749/1.ashx

Seedy

• free will
    free will

thanks for the tip seedy. so, then, if jehovah was the god of one nation. who are the gods for the other nations? if he is stronger than all the other gods, minus el, are we to follow him? i want to cover all my bases. ;)

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

adding to the pantheon of the Hebrews we have the Patriarch.. the creator as it were of he Hebrews

his name is Abraham, his wife is Sarai or Sarah

something like Brahma and Sarasvati (or Sarai-Svati)

There is a river in India named the Sarasvati and it has a tributary named Hagar.

In the Bible it says that Abraham called Sarai his sister at times. In some forms of Hindu mythology Brahman divided himself in half, creating a female and a male part. The male became his wife Sarasvati.

Bearing in mind the Vedas appear to be much older then the Bible, it could be that the tradition of Abraham and Sarai was passed down in some way from the Indus civilization or the later Vedic civilization.

Brahma is not actually worshipped in Hinduism. Neither is Abraham in any form of Judaism, and yet they are both keystones to both religions.

• seedy3
    seedy3

Hey Gita!!

How is it my friend, seen judge judy lately??? I bet she misses you

Seedy

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

ha ha I am trying to be god good these days.

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

Free will, who reads his bible like a Jehovahs Witness without any regaurd of context or syntaxt to the passage (no wonder he got into JWs) writes:

clash- please explain gen3:22 "...here the man has become like one of us..."

Pay attention to the Text! this is in regaurd to knowing good and evil and not becoming gods, remember Adam and Eve did die, so much for becoming gods. Please look at the text.

Gen 3:22 NKJV

22 Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever"

Free will who does not read his bible posts:

or the fact that there were other people outside of the garden of eden. at gen 4:16 and 17. "...cain went away...and took up residence in the land of fugitiveness to the east of eden...cain had intercourse with his wife ..."

Cain, Abel, Seth where all Decendence from Adam and Eve who were sent out of the garden of Eden. They where not the inhabatence outside of Eden prior to Adam and Eve relocation, but infact where put there by birth by Adam and Eve.

Homework.......

Read the entire chapter of Genesis Chapter 4

one more thing where in the bible and please give me chapter and verse that they (Adam and Eve) where sent "East of Eden" as you put it the bible just says Outside of Eden.

are you adding things like the WT. Read the bible and don't be a JW about it either.

late,

jr

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

seedy3 who is about as sorry of an exigete as Fred Frans posts:

Free will it is interesting you point that out about the "like us" statement, here are a couple of others that indicate that YHWH may not have been the supreme God at the early beleifs time of the Hebrews, for instance: Deut 32:7-9 where El gives to YHWH (Ya have to look in the hebrew to see this).

It is God (Yahweh) who gives or divides his inheratence amoung his people Jacob (Isreal).

I seriouly doubt you know anything about biblical Hebrew. Even if you studied the biblical languages like Hebrew at a liberal seminary like Fuller Semenary in CA they flunk your rear end out of the classroom.

Deut 32:7-9

7 "Remember the days of old,
    Consider the years of many generations.
    Ask your father, and he will show you;
    Your elders, and they will tell you:
    8 When the Most High divided their inheritance to the nations,
    When He separated the sons of Adam,
    He set the boundaries of the peoples
    According to the number of the children of Israel.
    9 For the LORD's portion is His people;
    Jacob is the place of His inheritance.

late,

jr

• avishai
    avishai

Not to mention the "goddess" the ancient hebrews worshipped. Asherah. Funny, how the jews were'nt supposed to have other gods or graven images, but there it is, right there in exedous , I believe, the Israelites were wandering around in the desert & started to get bit by snakes. So god sez "Build a pole w/ a copper serpent and have everybody "look" at it, & they will be healed. Well, folks, that there snake on a pole was a sacred pole called an asherah, the representation of a local goddess. Weird. Did'nt this one in My book of bible studies make ya think just a teensy bit? No golden calf, no idols, and yet there it is, & a snake, no less. They managed to yank almost all references to a hebrew goddess, but not quite. They REALLY effed up on this one! Matter o' fact, I'm gonna give this topic it's own thread.

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

avishai writes:

Not to mention the "goddess" the ancient hebrews worshipped. Asherah. Funny, how the jews were'nt supposed to have other gods or graven images, but there it is, right there in exedous

Maybe it's just me, but could you please help me please give me the chapter and verse in Exodus where we run into "Asherah"

I know that this goddess is found elsewhere in the OT.

Now to the Point when the Isreal rebeled against her covenant keeping God like slipping back into apostate like worshiping some silly man made goddess like Asherah is was never a good thing. This act was contrary to what God had designed by covenantal grace his people Israel to be or do.

Just a snippit from redemptive history

Judges 3:7-11

7 So the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the LORD. They forgot the LORD their God, and served the Baals and Asherahs. [1] 8 Therefore the anger of the LORD was hot against Israel, and He sold them into the hand of Cushan-Rishathaim king of Mesopotamia; and the children of Israel served Cushan-Rishathaim eight years. 9 When the children of Israel cried out to the LORD, the LORD raised up a deliverer for the children of Israel, who delivered them: Othniel the son of Kenaz, Caleb's younger brother. 10 The Spirit of the LORD came upon him, and he judged Israel. He went out to war, and the LORD delivered Cushan-Rishathaim king of Mesopotamia into his hand; and his hand prevailed over Cushan-Rishathaim. 11 So the land had rest for forty years. Then Othniel the son of Kenaz died.

God is against man made pagan god worship even from his own people the Israelites recieved covenant penal sanctions for such actions

cheers,

jr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit